Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic grain mills Next Topic  

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  9:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Hello All,
My Son-in-law has assigned me the task of researching grain mills. My Daughter is interested in milling her own flour for baking.
I have found that the mills range greatly in price. I am looking at a mill accessory for her Kitchenaid mixer, but they have mixed reviews. Any advise? Hand crank ?? Electric??
Thanks
Susan

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  04:32:00 AM  Show Profile
I have been using my vita-mix with the dry blade to grind grains. It works well and you can use the vita-mix for 1000 other things in the kitchen. That said I just fell in love with the Grainmaker mill, hand crank. I got a chance to use it and it is very smooth and made in the USA. Hand crank appeals to me because we are going off grid, but it all matters how much work you want to do to grind the grain.

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  05:46:02 AM  Show Profile
4 words- Country Living Grain Mill! Made in the USA and EXCELLENT customer service. You can either use as a hand crank or add a motor. DH built a small stand and added the motor for me. This is not a small unit that can be put away in the cupbord, but worth every penny. I have had mine for about 4 years and have milled everything in it from wheat berries to black beans. When I was doing my research I didn't find anything good about the kitchen aid grain mill attachment at least you found mixed reviews. Also if you are off grid and wish to "crank" out the grain a little faster you can easily hook this mill up to a stationary bike and get exercise and food at the same time. Also if you contact the company they may have imperfect or returned ones to sell at a discounted price.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2010 :  06:02:09 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I'm hoping to go here to. I found a company that sells whole Buckwheat and the best part, the have Mary Jane as a link on their website!!

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

N@n
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Hackett Arkansas
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2010 :  10:08:30 AM  Show Profile
Gotta say, I wish we had gotten our grain mill years ago. The bread you bake from freshly ground whole wheat is nothing like whole wheat bread made from "shelved" flour. Soft and delicious. When making pizza crust, the dough is stretchy and wonderful. We love this and will never go back to store bought flour.

keep searchin'-it's out there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  7:03:02 PM  Show Profile
Be sure to decide what you will mill. I looked around and found that many do not mill corn and I really wanted to do that. However, I did not research enough. The one I have does mill all types of wheat, etc and does corn, but it makes corn flour and I wanted to have coarser results (corn meal).
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  8:35:38 PM  Show Profile
For affordability, customer service, good reviews & versatility, I got the Jr. Wondermill hand crank. I've owned it since the summer & have only ground red wheat berries to make my own flour, but I love it. I attach it onto our kitchen table easily. It's easy to attach to the table and easy to change the stone burrs (one's for dry grains & the other is for oily, for making your own peanut butter). I like non-electric items, so that's why I went with the hand grain model. Have fun researching!

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic grain mills Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page