kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  8:05:36 PM  Show Profile
I have an old apple tree that is just full of the best juiciest cruchy aplles I have ever eaten. I have apple cider from last year still in the freezer. SO I am drying them. I have a 4 tray dehydrator but it takes at least 12 hours to dry them. And I have at least a million to dry. I saw somewhere someone drying apples on sticks hung up high. Has anyone ever done it this way? I have that aplle peeler-slicer-corer so they are in rings. I could just run a broom handle through them and hang them upstairs I guess. I was just wanting to see if anyone here has dried apples this way before I try it.

These apples dried are like eating candy, they are so sweet. I did the first batch with cinnamon sugar but they don't need anything added at all. They are good all by themselves.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

debbies journey
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

debbie
anchorage ak
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2010 :  11:29:44 PM  Show Profile
Kristen, I dried some apples recently and just sprinkled them with cinnamon, they were very good.
Sorry I've never hung them to dry. I think your wreath was so pretty it should have been in the
magazine too!
Debbie
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  06:59:49 AM  Show Profile
Thank you, Debbie. That's so sweet. I am going to make some more wreaths for a craft show coming up in a few weeks. I guess I'll just keep drying in the dehydrator. Yesterday I did 2 batches. It took 24 hours. I got a 1 gallon bag full. At this rate it will be Dec. before I get them all done. I think I need a bigger dehydrator. And I want one of those really nice steamer-juicers too. I need to be looking for one to give me for Christmas!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  1:12:27 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Yummy dried apples! I did one batch, only took about 5 hours for mine, they were sliced very thin. I think you acturally had some of them ???? Right now a friend has my dehydrator,now I want to do sweet potatoes and some more apples. Can you dry them in a very warm oven? Not hot, just warm? I think my Mom used to do it that way!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  4:08:47 PM  Show Profile
Ruth, I was jus thinking about doing that. Maybe on very low all night? I will try that tonight. It will keep the house warm too. Your apples were very good. And I never thought about sweet potatoes. What do you do with them? Like chips? Oh, yum! That sounds good. I love the Garnet sweet potatoes. They are really red.

Congrats on FGOTM!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9402 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9402 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  5:45:26 PM  Show Profile
I have been drying apples every day for quite awhile. I use the dehydrator and it does take at least 6 hrs. But they are so good! I have never hung them but I don't see why you couldn't. Would probably dry quicker if you had a wood stove you could hang them near. I have dried them in the oven but you have to keep turning them and it is not cost efficient like a dehydrator. I am thinking of purchasing a second one. I bought a cheaper one from K Mart years ago and it still works fine.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Oct 31 2010 5:47:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2010 :  6:02:17 PM  Show Profile
Kris, Thanks for the congrats - I was blown away with that!
About the apples, do you have cooling racks, like you cool cookies on after baking??? I would put the apples on that so the air can circulate around them.
Let me know how it works
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Drying Apples Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page