Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  09:10:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We budget $150 per paycheck (every two weeks) to feed our family of 3 until the next pay cycle. This has to include breakfast, lunch dinner, any cleaning supplies, toilet paper, and shampoo etc. Oh and pet supplies as well.

So what I do is I make out a list that I make 14 dinners on, buy generic lunch materials (lunch meat and cheese usually) and buy the bagged cereal and oatmeal for breakfasts. Then I keep a running general tally of items in my head rounded up or down to make it an even amount and if I have extra I buy more staples and basics like sugar, tortillas, cheese, meats etc in case we run short another week.

Most of the time I come in under or just at, but lately I have been overspending a bit so I need to get back on track.

How about you ladies? How much do you spend? What is your goal?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  10:06:16 AM  Show Profile
I have been going monthly. For the 2 of us, we spend no more than $150 monthly.
However, I have canned all sorts of things, & we just got 1/4 side of grass fed beef ($400). It is a huge amount, & should last a year. I also get Gerbers Amish chicken when on sale (thighs, drums & whole chickens), but have not gotten those in a while, as I have about 8 whole chickens in the freezer right now!
Also, we get farm raised shrimp yearly.
I never shop the inner aisles, except to pick up olive oil, vinegar, pasta, oats & the occasional roll of foil.
We have our own chickens (20), so eggs are abundant, & I make our own yogurt from this recipe. http://richfoodleantimes.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/crock-pot-yogurt/ I give hubby yogurt in his lunch daily. THis recipe makes enough for at least 2 weeks, so for around $1.50 to $2.50, I get about 16 servings of yogurt. I flavor with vanilla, or orange essential oil & honey. We get our honey from my friend who has bees. (wooliespinner here)
Also I pick blueberries & freeze each summer, get peaches annually & can, & also apples in the fall.
My hubby's friend gives us 1/2 of his venison if he gets a deer, & I raw pack can that meat.
So with all of the above, my grocery trips are usually to pick up some dairy, onions, potatoes, & maybe some oats, pasta, or other dry goods.
We also shop the Amish bulk every few months, & I get nuts there, sometimes cheese & Power Bars for hubby at 25 cents each!
I am not organized like you Alee, but we eat quite well in spite of my disorganization.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  10:58:28 AM  Show Profile
We have been doin our best to keep our monthly grocery bill to $400 a month. Our weekly spendin fluctuates some due to the sales. I will watch the stores like a hawk and scoop up anything on sale or clearance in large quantity and we use our 2 freezers and can or dry the rest. We can, dry, store, and freeze anything we can get from anyones gardens. We are the 'dumpin ground' for excess produce, deer meat, and party leftovers for everyone we know. My Hubby hunts and me and the girls fish, so there's a lot of meat. We have an aunt who raises chickens and has 3-4 dozen extra eggs every month. We do a lot 'scroungin' for stuff, but the work pays off in the long run. I even make a point to post on craigslist and freecycle for garden and fruit tree extras. We are goin for 'deer apples' which we get free from one of the local orchards. About 2/3s of them will be bad, but are great for animals and the comppost pile. The rest will be storable or good for cookin and freezin. I will make apple butter, freeze some for pies, and applesauce will be canned. I will also store buckets of them for eatin. All of that for just the cost of gas! I love it!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  11:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Alee, one of the best ways I know to stay on budget for groceries is to use cash. My DH & I are using Dave Ramsey's financial peace budgeting program, which includes using cash for most of the household expenses. I tell ya, I learned real quick whether an item was a luxury or a necessity when I had to hand over actual cash, and on the couple of occasions when I had to put stuff back cause all I had was my set amount of cash.
We buy supplements in addition to groceries, so we allocate $400. a month and take from that each time we shop, and when it's gone, we shop from what we already have on hand @ home and adjust the budget for the next month so we have enough @ the end of the month. Dave's plan also includes allocating for allowances and entertainment, so meals away from home come out of that part of the budget. Is it perfect, are we out of debt as soon as we hoped we would be? No, but the progress we've made is that much sweeter because we ARE doing something to change and improve our finances. It is working, little-by-little.

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:24:26 PM  Show Profile
Chandra
We did the Dave Ramsey plan as well. We have been debt free for about 1 1/2 yrs (except the mortgage). Once you are there, it is so much easier to save, & I pay cash for everything now.
2 years ago, I could not have come up with $400 for beef, but being debt free & saving like crazy made it no big deal to pay for.
Barring something tragic, we will never go in debt again.
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Oh Lisa, I think that's a wonderful testimony!!! Let's encourage more of the farmgirls to have a look-see @ his materials and see the wonderful results...

DH heard Dave on radio, purchased book, we went @ it like gangbusters with wonderful results, then sort of faltered for a while and, well, we're on it again with more realistic attitudes and still making progress. A car note, his cc & a clothing cc that I'm responsible for, that's it, but it's still oppressive so we are keeping @ it. DH's father left all his goods to a daughter, DH was given about 750 laser disc's that were believed to have no value; but...& I believe this to be true, my husband had faith, so he posted the collection on line, took him a couple of weeks working evenings to post them to an internet store front, and they've been selling. Not as quickly as he'd like, but selling none-the-less and I truly believe it's God's provision or promise being fulfilled by rewarding my husband's faith and effort.

Anyway, congratulations on an incredible accomplishment Lisa! Woo-hoooo! That's a great example for the other farmgirls!

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:33:54 PM  Show Profile
Chandra
I am still as frugal as ever, & I have a neighbor that complains about money..but..just bought new I Phones, Kindle, upgraded her car to a bigger on with more payment, has a truck payment & sets her AC LOW. I love her, bu she & I are different. She cals me cheap. I don't care.
Hubs & I are going on a vacation in Oct to see my vocal idol Kristin Chenoweth on Broadway in Promises Promises. We will stay in NYC 2 nights, & take in the sites. It will all be paid for by cash.
I am not bragging, as I know there are many families with no work, & hubs & I both make decent money, but I SAVE SO much.
We have not been on vacation since 2005, when we went Whitewater rafting & both almost died. So we are DUE!
I think farmgirls as a rule have good skils in frugality, but truly think "Is this a want or a need???"
That being said, I am splurging on a new purse, sunglasses & more fashionable pants for NYC.. I don't want to wear my Carhartt there.
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:52:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh ladies this has been weighing on my mind as well. I spent about $300 bi-monthly. We get paid on the 1st and 15th. I have been desperately trying to cut down on expenses but I just can't get any lower. We do eat a lot of beans and I quit buying cookies and started making muffins or something like that. That helps. Now this does include Laundry detergent, toilet paper, shampoo, all household goods and then the food.

In the 90's my mom spent $40 a week on a family of 5, that was for 2 meals a day(breakfast and dinner). Even then that was unheard of. I know I can't do that now but I'd like to spend less. However when I do try to spend less I end up eating more things like potatoes and corn bread. I can't do that everyday. So I've been doing my best.

I like the whole thing about being frugal with your wants vs. needs. We have everything we need and a few we don't like cable tv. But we can afford it. Only my husband works but we have done well even though we are "lower income". We don't have things like kindles, ifones etc. I just don't use things like that. I do have a cell but it's plain. My husband does get a little frustrated because he thinks we should just be able to walk into a store and buy anything we want. I always tell him we can buy anything we need! Nice to hear about this. I guess we're all just trying to make it in such a crazy world.

Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://applesaucemom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:55:11 PM  Show Profile
Alee
Just wanted to congrat you on doing this at a young age. If you keep this up, you should be set!
Hubs & I are 50!
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  2:14:23 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
Lisa, so glad you made it home from the rafting trip...just watching that is enough to put me off of it...I know a lot of people do it, though.

I just know it's going to be phenomenal in NYC...OMGoodness!!!! Kristin...she's incredible!
I loved watching her in Pushing Up Daisies...bummer when the show cancelled, but was glad to see her in Glee. I think the trip you've planned sounds like it would be "the time of your life" kind of trip. Enjoy!!!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  4:47:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks ladies-

Reina- how big is your family?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  7:45:59 PM  Show Profile
We budget about 300 a month. Today I spent 166 for two weeks. I coupon clip and I make a list after I have planned my meals out for two weeks. I have found when I have a list I stick to it and with no extras. It has saved us a great deal. Before I never knew what I was going to make and so I just threw things in the cart. I am very organized person and groceries and meal plannin was the one place I wasn't but now I am. IN the summer we buy a lot from farmers markets. I have learned a great deal thepast year. WE are slowly paying off our credit cards. I have paid one completely off, but we have several but hubby and I have worked out a budget and we really try to stick to it. So as I said we are learning.

Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

rosarita78
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Reina
Drought ridden High Plains New Mexico
USA
206 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  07:00:10 AM  Show Profile
I have a family of 4.

I have been doing meal planning too. I like, it does take a lot time but it does cut out buying extras. Sticking to the list is the hard part but I've been doing good. I found that I don't have to go down every Isle just the isles that have what i need. I know that sound so obvious but I guess I needed that realazation (spelling?).
You all are such an inspiration!! Keep up the good work!
Reina

http://reinascountrykitchen.blogspot.com
http://applesaucemom.blogspot.com

Edited by - rosarita78 on Sep 20 2010 07:03:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mamarude
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Anna
Durango Colorado
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  07:24:00 AM  Show Profile
Reading this makes me think I need to tighten my budget down a bit, you ladies are inspiring!! We budget $200 cash each week for our food,toiletries, and pet needs. I spend probably $40 of that each week at the farmer's market for lots of veggies from local farmers,and we eat gluten free and organic so that's a little more costly I guess. This is a family of 4, 3 meals a day 7 days a week, plus making dinner for guests usually once a week. We don't eat out much, it's hard to find gluten free food unless you go to the expensive restaurants. My garden was pitiful this year, so we did get some eating out of it, but not much canning and all our fruit trees froze in the spring. Maybe next year!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Grocery Budget Challenge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page