countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  7:32:02 PM  Show Profile
I'm looking for an organic safe solution to get rid of a yellowjacket nest that is close to where my dogs are and a gate that I go in and out of. Any help would be appreciated.

Ellen

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  04:45:03 AM  Show Profile
If these are the kind that nest in the ground, pour boiling water down the hole you see them coming and going from. Then put a bucket over the entrance. This will need to be done seeral times, but it worked for us.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  05:36:09 AM  Show Profile
Whatever you decide to do, do it at night when most of them will be in the nest and not as active. We used the boiling water down the hole too and it was effective.

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  11:43:02 AM  Show Profile
Shirley & Star - Great ideas! Yes, they are the ones in the ground. The bucket is a good idea. That way if they come after me, they won't get far!
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2010 :  3:05:36 PM  Show Profile
Make sure you wear protective clothing and foot gear. Last year I accidentally stumbled across a yellow jackets nest while mowing the lawn. They attacked my feet (had gym shoes on with no socks) and stung me like crazy. I took off running but the pain was so bad that I tripped & did a belly flop on the ground. One of the nasty yellow jackets was embedded in my foot & I had to reach down & remove it before running again to the house.

Be careful & best of luck! They are nasty & relentless!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  12:35:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn -
Ouch, that's a good reminder! I hope this year was better for you. Those yellow jackets are relentless. Luckily, I've only been bit once when I was backpacking. They are not fun!

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  1:37:34 PM  Show Profile
My hubby got stung also when mowing the lawn. We poured the water down, and thought it was a dead nest. HE decided to dig it up. IT was not dead. Got stung four or more times. Do you know these hornets did not actually sting, they bit? They are carniverous, because when camping we found them eating a left over hot dog on the picnic table. They had taken quite a chucnk out of the hot dog.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  3:34:50 PM  Show Profile
Whatever they do, it hurts! My husband went to town on the two nests that were in our grass last year & about 40 wasps came staggering out of each one. The summer before last I bumped a nest when opening the garbage can lid & they attacked my eyes. I just got my contact lenses out before my eyes swelled up so bad that I couldn't open them. To add insult to injury. When I sat down to catch my breath, there was one on my leg & it stung me as my shorts brushed against it!

This year, knock on wood, I haven't had any problems. I am praying it stays that way!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  03:32:22 AM  Show Profile
Around here- forget organic! Most people pour gasoline down the nest and run a line out the yard and light it. Big explosion!- no yellowjackets!
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  10:44:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I guess I am lucky so far! Those are really scarey incidents. Oleta, it's not really funny, but it gave me a chuckle. I was picturing this big explosion, but no more yellow jackets. With my luck I'd probably get hurt too!

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

vintage saver
True Blue Farmgirl

323 Posts

oleta
wheelersburg ohio
USA
323 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  12:55:06 AM  Show Profile
You have to be careful, Ellen. You do it like Rambo in the movies. I just watch. I've seen dirt fly 15 feet in the air! I normally leave things alone, but I'm alittle allergic to the red stinging wasps. If I get stung on the finger, my hand swells past my wrist. The last time I was stung by yellowjackets, the pain was different, very bad and lasted for about 10 hrs. We were berrypicking. Antway, that's how rednecks do it! lol
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  06:48:57 AM  Show Profile
Oleta - laughing....that is funny. If we are forgetting organic, I have to admit, we have also poured poison down into the nests when we could not get them to leave.

Dawn - I am so sorry your eyes got stung! How terrible! Now my eyes hurt.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  1:50:33 PM  Show Profile
The ones here in Alaska usually try very hard to get inside. At one point we had a nest where they had managed to get inside the roof area (up here we mostly use the cold roof idea, ventilation above the insulation to carry off the water vapor) and they were just above our bed. Just before thaw we pulled the ceiling down with the heat off. Really cold that, and it was not a round nest but one in sheets. Scraped all off into a big garbage bag (I did the scraping as I was small enough to get in and around) threw the bag out the window and froze those puppies good. They have not been back.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  3:00:10 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Cherime, what a woman!!!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  3:22:52 PM  Show Profile
Nah. As long as they are cold, you can do most anything with them. They move too slow to do any harm.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  3:23:28 PM  Show Profile
Boy, you all have more guts than I do!
I'm afraid I better stick to something a little less explosive. I do shoot firearms, but when it comes to blowing things up I get a little nervous!

Ellen

Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2010 :  6:51:16 PM  Show Profile
They do sting, but you are correct, they also do chew. In fact, they often will eat carrion (dead animals) and are a real pest around picnics. My daughter was at the chicken coop about a month ago and started screaming bloody murder. I ran over there and could not hear or see what was attacking her, but when I ripped off her dress and threw it to the ground, I heard buzzing. Then, I saw one trying to sting her leg. I think I vaulted her about 10 feet in the air and we took off running. She received about 10 stings and i had one and it HURT. I mean REALLY HURT. Burned like crazy for HOURS. I would never have thought something would have hurt that much from a tiny little wasp.

I have been plotting their death for a month now. I believe what I will do is wait for a very cold night, pour some liquid Sevin down the hole and top with a bucket. I hate using chemicals, but after being stung...plus, they are very aggressive because when they sting, they do not die, so they can afford to be really aggressive, you know. Ugh. the yellowjackets must die. If they weren't that close to my coop, I'd totally blow them up!!!

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  2:25:38 PM  Show Profile
Yellow-jacket wasps; do they serve any useful purpose? I sure can't think of any! When I get nailed by one of the nasty creatures I pluck some plantain leaves, chew them up and spit them right on the bite area and cover it with a fabric bandaid to hold it in place. Pretty quick the pain goes away and after awhile I can barely tell where I got bit. Works on any bee or wasp sting and I guess spider bites too. I've been using this quick remedy for years; I've used mud, baking soda paste but for me this works better than anything to take care of the pain and swelling as well. I was happy to see this tried and true remedy published in the June/July 2010 issue of Mary Janes magazine. If you're squeemy about chewing up the leaves you could use another method to make a mush out of them but whenever I'm stung or bit I want to make the hurt stop right NOW so that's why I chew em up an spit em on the spot. ;-)

Farmgirl Sister #682

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
Go to Top of Page

DyaLynn53
True Blue Farmgirl

78 Posts

Dianne
Roseburg Oregon
USA
78 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2010 :  2:28:04 PM  Show Profile
One more thing; of course you want to use plantain leaves that are free from any chemicals.

Farmgirl Sister #682

Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
Go to Top of Page

countrygirl10
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Ellen
Lower Lake CA
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  09:32:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Diane - I must have missed that issue! That sounds like a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. Luckily, I've only been bit a couple of times, but living in the country you never know.

Ellen
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2010 :  09:55:46 AM  Show Profile
Do make sure you get those evil buggers, whichever path you choose. We also did the boiling water/bucket after reading Jeannie's post. Our dear friend's little dog, Ella, was stung to death 2 years ago and I've made it my personal mission to eradicate them whenever I see them. We have 4 dogs and a 20 month old little girl--NO WAY are they going to hurt my babies (or me!)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Yellow jacket nest Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page