Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  04:49:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters!
My sisterhood chapter and I are going to take a class at a local farm. We will be milking a cow, grinding grain into flour, etc. to make a pie. The milk is unpastuerized, raw milk. Someone has mentioned to me that it could be unsafe, especially for children, and some of us are bringing our daughters. Does anyone have more info on this? I figure if it is that high a risk the experience is worth it and we don't have to eat the pie. It will be a cooked pumpkin pie, but this person said the pie temperature is not hot enough to help. Any advice from someone who knows more on this than me?

Thank you,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  09:11:07 AM  Show Profile
Nonsense - raw milk is most likely healthier. The reason pasteurization took hold is because of the growth in size, and thus loss of control over health, etc., that took place as dairy farms became factories. A healthy dairy cow poses no threat at all. Any concern should be directed at the farmer, asking about health protocols. My guess is that if they are allowing a small group of folk to come on their land and do this, they are not corporate farmers and pose no risk :)

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  2:05:44 PM  Show Profile
i totally agree with catherine. i milk cows and goats. my belles milk is clean and delicous. she has been tested since she came from one. i use stainless steel and glass for my milk. i use vinegar for a sanitizer. i will say raw milk has a lot of enzymes in it that are good for you. milk from a cow is a live food. like a FRESH not dying carrot. some folks do get some runny poop if they drink too much at once. milk from a store is not only pasteurized and homogenized it is also dried to a powder. the fat is seperated from the calcium and lactose. then it can also be irradiated. they then take regular water and mix things back together. this way EVERY carton is white and EXACTLY the same every time. there are some dairys that dont do this. but in a corporate world the dairys are run by computer from an office in chicago. the guy doing the machines is in a suit. he is looking at cameras. the cows are in feed lots. they come in and a robot puts the machine on the cow. so here is my question. do you drink powdered milk from a box? do you drink box store milk? the corp. dairys are dirty cows are unhealthy crowded. they are milked anyway. by cooking the milk they kill ALL bacteria good and bad. hence lactose intolerance. hence cholseterol issues with the fat. cows dont eat grain in the real world. grain changes the good fats to cholesterol in 48 hours of being fed grain. we eat range fed beef and pork. we eat butter ice cream fats milk. we are not fat we have no cholesterol issues no heart issue. though they are prevalent in our families. we eat eggs from natural chickens. i sooo hope this will be a fine exp. for you all. drink milk eat pie. it is REAL food. the kids that come to our farm have a blast. they feed the calf,milk a cow, chase a goat, touch a pig, love on baby chicks and yes drink the milk. hope you have fun. let us know what you decide. i am very opinionated do not want to sound pushy. i just love CLEAN raw milk and farm foods. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  4:36:24 PM  Show Profile
Sherry and Catherine, Thanks so much for your answers. I knew my farmgirl sisters would set the record straight! Wow, I did not know about the powdered milk thing! Is that true for the Organic milk too? I remember having fresh milk and buttermilk as a child from a friend's farm. I am also the mom who licks the batter bowl with my child when we bake cookies and cakes, LOL. And no, Sherry, you are not pushy. I will share this thread with my sisterhood chapter, and we will all have a great time!!!

Hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  7:31:29 PM  Show Profile
As long as the cows are cared for properly and the area they are milked in is as well then I don't think you should have any issue at all. My parents are part of a raw milk share, here in MI that's the only way you can buy raw milk, and they have not had any problems with theirs. I know that the farm it comes from does testing on their milk for the safety of their customers. It is unfortunate that people spread incorrect information without researching more of the facts.

Most organic milk is ultra pasturized which can be even worse than the regular pasturization done on non-organic milk. This makes the milk shelf stable, which is just so wrong to me, even though they keep it in the refrigerated case. It makes the milk a blank slate, by taking away all of the good and bad bacteria, for any kind of bacteria that comes in contact with it to take over. If the organic milk you see has a far off sell by date, odds are it's been ultra pasturized.

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Raw Milk Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page