woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  07:31:53 AM  Show Profile
I can't find canned pumpkin anywhere. It is time, isn't it? I went to one store that had a sign up that they may not get any this year. Has anyone else heard of this?

Farmgirl #1947

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  09:58:11 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, a couple of months ago I needed some pumpkin for my dog treats that I make. Could not find any. The store manager told me that the spring crop of pumpkins got some kind of blight and there wouldn't be any until fall. I went to my co-op and found organic canned pumpkin. It was a lot more expensive but I needed it. I told the co-op manager about the shortage, so they stocked up on organic. They have been selling out! I grew my own pie pumpkins this year and got about 10 that I can put-up. I don't know if it is only in the mid-west or what.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  12:53:28 PM  Show Profile
I've heard about pumpkin shortages the last couple of years... don't know exactly what's been going on with them.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  3:58:47 PM  Show Profile
I ordered some organic a few days ago. It was a bit more expensive, but if I can't find it anywhere it will be worth it!

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  4:35:20 PM  Show Profile
Here in IL we grow a great percentage of the pumpkin that gets canned and sold in the states. Last year weather conditions prevented most of the crop from harvest, and this spring there was the blight already mentioned in some parts....I have seen canned pumpkin locally but only at smaller stores, not the bigger food chains. I haven't seen any actual pumpkins. There's definitely a pumpkin shortage! My dad puts a bit of canned pumpkin in his oatmeal every morning but had to do without for months, and was very excited when I found some for him a while back lol. I would think farmer's markets will be your best bet, or anywhere that sells from the smaller farmers. The big guys can't deliver.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  5:41:28 PM  Show Profile
It is impossible to find because of blight. If you look on e-bay cans of Libby are selling for eight dollars. I grew New England pie pumpkins this year and did pretty well. My ten year old son grew a patch from seeds we saved from pumpkins we bought last year in Amish country. He was hugely successful - but I don't know if I can keep them fresh until October (for carving).

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  04:42:11 AM  Show Profile
I remember them saying that last year. My neighbor and I went crazy trying to find canned pumpkin. I even called Libby's, and they sent me coupons and a cookbook. But then the stores ended up having it anyway. Marketing or real issue? Don't know. Bought a case last year. Now I have gone organic, so I want organic canned pumpkin, LOL.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  07:05:36 AM  Show Profile
This was a real problem here last year so I will go and purchase what I can and give the heads up to my DIL. Last year we had three cans between us and I still have one so better get them if I can.. It is strange how much you want something when it is not available.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  08:14:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the heads up! I just told my husband. We will keep an eye out here and see if we can find any. If not I know of several local farmers that have grown successfully so I might have to can my own. Kindof excited at that proposition!

Does pumpkin have to be pressure canned though?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  09:20:33 AM  Show Profile
The kind I found was on Amazon for $28 for a case of 12 with free shipping. I don't think that's too bad. Hopefully it will be worth it! I did try butternut squash as a substitute, but the texture was off.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

AuntieM
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Marjorie
Holly Springs NC
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  1:11:31 PM  Show Profile
Alee, pumpkin definitely needs pressure canning! If you have the canner it's not a difficult proposition, though. I always used to use the little sugar pie pumpkins - they were very meaty with a smaller seed cavity. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  4:23:23 PM  Show Profile
Here in New England we use Libby's but grew up using and most prefer a band called "One Pie" which is made in Maine. The canned pumpkin shortage happened to be the topic of discussion one night last fall as all the neighborhood woman gathered on the porch one evening. The mutual frustration we all felt was actually somewhat comical. I called the One Pie company and they stated that there is shortage not only to the poor crop last year, but alot of the canned pumpkin is being sent over seas. I was sort of outraged..... American pumpkins pies should be the priority of the American pumpkin :)

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  06:16:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by OneCraftyBugger

Here in New England we use Libby's but grew up using and most prefer a band called "One Pie" which is made in Maine. The canned pumpkin shortage happened to be the topic of discussion one night last fall as all the neighborhood woman gathered on the porch one evening. The mutual frustration we all felt was actually somewhat comical. I called the One Pie company and they stated that there is shortage not only to the poor crop last year, but alot of the canned pumpkin is being sent over seas. I was sort of outraged..... American pumpkins pies should be the priority of the American pumpkin :)

I remember that last year. I meet and older couple in the grocery store trying to find pumpkin. The only cans that were left were on the bottom shelf in the very back. They couldn't schooch down to see them. They told me that this was the third store that they had been to to get pumpkin. All of the One Pie, and the Libby's was sold out the only cans left were store brand.

I am going to find some good pumpkin pie pumpkins at a farmer's market, cook them and freeze in recipe size portions.

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  08:28:58 AM  Show Profile
Alee, everything I have read lately says that pumpkin shouldn't be canned, water bath or pressure, but none of it really says why. I guess I did read on site that said it could be canned chunked but not pureed like you'd buy it in the store and I don't remember which site that was. When I became aware of the shortage earlier this year, I decided to start reading up on it and it looks like the suggestion is to freeze it so that's what I'm hoping to do this year.

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  09:02:20 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, you are right. My canning book says pressure can it in cubes...do not mash or puree. They do not say why. Does someone know why? Does anyone have Jackie Clay's canning book and does it have directions for pumpkin in it? I am glad I saw this before I did my pumpkins. I have done squash this way but this was my first year of growing pie pumpkins.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  09:12:22 AM  Show Profile
Wow, I've never heard of a pumpkin shortage before! I have a can of Pumpkin left over from last winter, I DO hope it's still edible. It's Libby's.....
If I do manage to snag a few pumpkins at the farmers market, I'll just cube and freeze them. Good luck with finding "Punkins" girls!

I wonder why on earth you can't mash or purée pumpkin when canning it? how curious.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  10:25:52 AM  Show Profile
I have at least 30 pumpkins on the vines and 10 bags in the freezer from last year. I only have 2 plants.
WOW something good in my garden at last.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  11:06:07 AM  Show Profile
OK, curiosity got the better of me and I found this article:
http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/FDNS-E-P.html
Apparently mashed pumpkin can be of a wide range of viscosity, and ph comes into play for the safety of canning combined with the water levels. It's not that safe isn't possible, but that the safety cannot be assured enough for the gov to recommend. Mph!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  12:46:48 PM  Show Profile
I have Jackie Clay's canning book. "We used to can pureed pumpkin and squash to use not only in pies but also in casseroles. But now it is not recommended to do this as the puree is such a dense product. The processing heat may not resach the center of the food, bhus making it unsafe. Instead, we now can pumpkin and squash in cube." She says 1 inch cubes, boil 2 minutes, pack in jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Add 1/2 tsp salt to pint jaurs and 1 tsp to quarts. Ladle boiling cooking liquid over pieces, leaving 1 inch headspace. process pints for 55 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 10 pounds pressure. I have grown pumpkins in the past and cook it down until it thickens. Then I freeze. It has worked great for us.
Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  1:50:41 PM  Show Profile
That does make sense about it not being able to heat through properly when it's pureed. Thanks for all the info, ladies!

www.theaprondiaries.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  9:14:15 PM  Show Profile
Well, this is not good news! I have grown my own pumpkin for the past several years but couldn't have a garden this year. Guess I'll be begging my gardening friends for some pumpkins.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  10:29:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh man! You know, I was just in the store Sunday and again Monday looking for pumpkin - nada. I couldn't believe it - I was so upset. I wondered if I had missed a big sale or something. Thank you, girls for shedding light on this. None grew in my garden, either. :( Now I'm thinking tomorrow afternoon I'll run out to the farm and see what I can find! SO sad! - Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Bevb
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Bev
Moscow ID
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2010 :  10:41:21 PM  Show Profile
I find this shortage very odd. I haven't looked in stores because I never buy canned pumpkin - but this is one item that we have PLENTY of at our food bank.

I can't even seem to give it away at the food bank - weird!!! And every shipment of food we get, and every food drive, has more cans of pumpkin.

Maybe that's where it all is???
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  5:21:02 PM  Show Profile
Audrey, come now... you know you have pumpkins and squash with your name on them in my garden! :) I really don't think I need them all to myself... I still have 18 bags of frozen stuff from last year and at least 20 pumpkins/squash on the vine in the garden. And after reading all these posts, I'm forever grateful squash grow incredible here!

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  5:55:01 PM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, thank you, thank you thank you! I was hoping I could get some from your garden but was waiting to ask in person! We'll have to get together for some squash/pumpkin soup and maybe some pumpkin muffins to go with and a salad with cubed pumpkin. Yummmm!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  9:26:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, there is always a good southern sweet potato pie too.....am already thinking of the upcoming holidays and thinking my one can of pumpkin won't stretch, so I'm going to either be VERY lucky with scoring some pumpkin or try something else. In all of my life I have NEVER heard of a pumpkin shortage!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pumpkin Shortage? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: