Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pumpkin Shortage? Next Topic
Page: of 3

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2010 :  11:26:14 PM  Show Profile
Good news, farmgirl sisters! While it's true that blight has affected pumpkins in past years, this year's harvest is expected to be a bumper crop. The combination of lots of rain and high temps. in Illinois (where lots of the pumpkins are grown) has apparently benefitted the pumpkin crop this year. So don't give up--plan on having lots of pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.
Cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  01:18:12 AM  Show Profile
There is NO canned pumpkin here unfortunately, nor the evaporated milk. A friend from the USA send me a can of both years ago, I made a yummo pumpkin pie with it :D Pumpkin pies are also NOT known here and it was SO good. :)

OH pumpkin muffins are also SO good, yummmmm..my mouth is watering lol.

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)

Edited by - dutchy on Sep 18 2010 01:20:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

tinaberry
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

tina
satsuma al
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  05:02:44 AM  Show Profile
Annika,you are right good ole sweet potato pie...taste almost like pumpkin.
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  3:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Hi Girls,
Was at the store the other day and looked - they have tons of cans of pumpkin!! :)

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  4:28:50 PM  Show Profile
I have two fav pumpkin recipes that I pull out every year when the heat goes away, which it really hasn't done yet here lol. One is a waffle that uses purees pumpkin, granny smith apples finely diced, and pecans. I always serve that with maple syrup, yummo!! The other is a meat stew which you bake right inside a hollowed out pumpkin and it makes a great tureen at the table!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  4:46:26 PM  Show Profile
Well, that's GREAT news, Nicole & Cindy!

I have to tell you, I had to laugh the other day at the grocery store, though. It was my third trip out, and still no pumpkin on the shelves. I had noticed going in, however, that the grocer's bakery was LOADED with higher-than-usual-priced fresh baked pumpkin pies, cookies, breads, gobs; so I was extremely hopeful as I approached the baking goods aisle. Alas, no canned pumpkin - again... but THIS time, someone had taken a whole bunch of the store's baked pumpkin goodies and angrily packed them in where the pumpkin cans used to be! I got the message - I sure hope the store manager did: they had plenty of pumpkin to pre-bake goodies and overcharge the customers, but no pumpkin itself to sell! Thank goodness the pumpkin shortage will be over soon, otherwise it looks like they'd have some angry customers to answer to! LOL!

As an aside, if you're really desperate for canned pumpkin, Vitacost.com has 15 oz. canned organic pumpkin in stock for like $2.59 a can. The shipping isn't too bad if you're willing to wait for snaily-snail mail, either. I broke down and placed an order, choosing the cheapest shipping method and it was still here in two business days. :) Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins are on the breakfast menu tomorrow! Hooray!

Have a great weekend!

Nini

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  4:50:20 PM  Show Profile
Catherine - I would LOVE to have those recipes! They sound HEAVENLY!!! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2010 :  11:57:28 PM  Show Profile
YAY Nini, so you finally got your pumpkin lol. OH those muffins you made sound so good!! Care to send me one, snail mail is allowed lol ;)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  08:18:57 AM  Show Profile
Of COURSE I'd send you some! Are you sure it's okay to send food? I'll send you a can of pumpkin, too! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:19:43 PM  Show Profile
We make a pumpkin soup and were desperate for pumpkin, it could not be found anywhere in our area, so out of desperation I ordered organic pumpkin off Ebay, it wasn't terribly expensive but the shipping was pricey. It was either that or do without, and you know how it is when you can't have something, it makes you want it even more...LOL.
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  1:21:29 PM  Show Profile
I have five cans left from the winter, but last night the store had none on the shelves. We may be making sweet potato pie this year.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  2:43:02 PM  Show Profile
well our 2 major grocery stores here in michigan have none. that is walmarts and meijers. so we asked at meijers and they said it won't be in till october 1st. there was a big shortage last year so I kinda figured they would be out till they go there shipments in this year but it just seems that is kinda late. but when they do have some we are going to stock up!!!! I wished I had grown some this year myself. next year I will for sure!!!

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  4:24:18 PM  Show Profile
Well, both pie and carving pumpkins are officially here outside Chicago in the major and minor grocery stores, but I haven't yet seen canned pumpkin. When I found it last winter I stocked up a bit (I use the canned for most recipes and for some toiletries) and don't need any yet but this thread got me curious. Maybe they need to harvest this season's and process it if last year's has been long gone. If so, I understand the delay. But I am glad to see pumpkins in the stores! Especially the pie pumpkins, they can be hard to find in the urban jungle. I need those for my stew :)
And yes, I'll post recipes for you Nini, perhaps later tonight or tomorrow when I have more time.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  6:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Catherine! That will be wonderful!!! I'm really looking forward to them! 'Glad you could find pumpkin in IL!!!

My girlfriend told me last night that if you make pie using butternut squash it's even better than pumpkin.... I don't know about that, but I'm willing to try just for fun! :)

Have a great week, girls!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  9:33:24 PM  Show Profile
Nini, I posted the pumpkin recipes under their own thread, as I figured many others would like them and more would notice that way. Both are in old magazines and I had to laugh when I got them out - I forgot about other pumpkin recipes I had and have tried. Pumpkin custard is yummy, (and you can make a mean creme brulee with it, I bet)! There's a Thai pumpkin soup I've only made once but LOVED. I am not officially craving pumpkin!!! LOL

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  9:42:55 PM  Show Profile
You're making me hungry, girl! I will print out the recipes right now! Thanks again! You're the best! Hugs, Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  9:45:08 PM  Show Profile
LOL and you're even up near midnight with me.....nothing like late night food cravings!

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  10:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Yep - a killer on the hips, but oh, such a delight on the lips! LOL! No... I'm being good. Just can't sleep now - want to try your recipes! LOL! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  10:35:32 PM  Show Profile
Lol, the ready made pumpkins are not allowed I think, but a can of pumpkin is!!!!
I remember when mother and I went to Canada we always brought bags of Maple Leaf cookies with us, and those packages of Muffin mix etc. OH and cheese, cheddar cheese!! A whole big piece, my uncle and aunt had a restaurant so they always had the big cheeses, we brought one of those every time, yummmmmm OH and don';t forget, I ALWAYS took home a BIG bag of Reesesw Cups, LOVE those haha. They didn't take long when I got home though hihi, ate them all withing a week. Oke, I got sick afterwards because the bag WAS a very big one but I didn't mind to get a little sick duh....OH the memories this brings :)

Edited by - dutchy on Sep 19 2010 10:37:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  06:10:40 AM  Show Profile
I haven't seen any canned pumpkin here either. Only a couple of pie pumpkins. I think I am going to just purchase some fresh and cook, puree and freeze for the year. I do have some in our freezer from our Cinderella Pumpkins we grew.

Nini, I grew up in New England and squash pie was the thing :) It does taste good! It's been a long time and I just may have to sample some again to see which I like best ;)

Oh Marian I LOVE Maple Leaf Cookies!

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

peapicker
True Blue Farmgirl

716 Posts

texas
USA
716 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  06:30:01 AM  Show Profile
The squash pie sounds yummy! I've never had it. Hopefully, there will be some pie filling on the shelves soon. I have to admit it, I have never made pumpkin pie from fresh pumpkin either. I am going to do that this year if I find some pumpkins for sale.

Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
Robert Brault
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  08:05:14 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Calicogirl

I haven't seen any canned pumpkin here either. Only a couple of pie pumpkins. I think I am going to just purchase some fresh and cook, puree and freeze for the year. I do have some in our freezer from our Cinderella Pumpkins we grew.

Nini, I grew up in New England and squash pie was the thing :) It does taste good! It's been a long time and I just may have to sample some again to see which I like best ;)

Oh Marian I LOVE Maple Leaf Cookies!

~Sharon

So Sharon, they are still in the stores?? It has been some 10 years ago since we last visited Canada, my mother, my aunt and uncle all passed away 5 years ago, so... haven't been back. Maybe one day lol.

Edited by - dutchy on Sep 20 2010 08:06:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  10:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Sharon - where in New England did you grow up? I grew up in Massachusetts and Rhode Island... I vaguely remember squash pie! My grandparents and father were HUGE fans of mincemeat, too - not my favorite, though! And we'd always have pistachio or coffee ice cream in addition to vanilla - YUM! I miss New England SO much - especially this time of year!

I'd love a recipe for maple leaf cookies - do you use maple syrup??? YUM! Maple is my second favorite fall flavor! The only maple leaf cookies I've ever made were sugar cookies in maple leaf shapes. I take royal icing, colored it burgundy, orange, yellow and sage, and swirled the colors as I frosted the tops - lovely, lovely, lovely!

(Marian - I still can't get over your chilled grease sandwiches from the other post! LOL!!! I'm telling everyone and they just LOVE your story!!! You are SUCH a hoot, girl!!! You made my day!)

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  1:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Hey Nini :)

I grew up in Massachusetts (a small town called Easthampton in the Western part of the state) and I also lived in Pawtucket for a little bit :) I miss New England too! Nothing compares with Autumn in New England (and REAL Apple Cider)

Coffee Ice Cream, oh my. When we moved out west hardly anyone had heard of it until Starbucks finally came out with some.

I wish I had a recipe for Maple Leaf Cookies. Our local grocery store (Safeway) carries their brand and they are pretty good. If I come across a recipe I'll let you know.

Okay, I am off to read Marian's post now :)

~Sharon

Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2010 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile
OMGosh! I was BORN in Pawtucket, Sharon!!!! LOL! What a small world! I know where Easthampton is! We lived in North Attleboro, Needham (outside of Boston), Cape Cod (Yarmouth, Bass River), and then moved to Rhode Island!! Did you ever go to the Big Apple in Wrentham? Nothing like their cider, candied apples and fresh donuts!!! We'll have to compare notes and memories... When you have time, I'd love for you to email me! :)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pumpkin Shortage? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page