Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  8:27:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I have been trying to get as many apples off my tree before they become windfalls, but a lot still get bruised. I am also trying to make the most of the minimal bug damaged ones. So I made applesauce last week and more this week! I got 4 more quarts of applesauce canned and in the pantry. The first batch was the leftovers of some apple pie filling that didnt make enough to can so it already has some spices in it. The second batch is just apples, a little sugar, and water. I didn't even run the second batch through the food mill so it is a bit chunkier. I did mash it with my potato masher though.

If we get addicted to homemade apple sauce- I might want an electric ricer! LOL

I also made an apple pie tonight. Yum. I can't wait until it cools. I made a butter crust and the apples cooked perfectly. Yummy yummy yummy.

No wonder we gain weight in the fall!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com

Homekeepn
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

Cathy
West Gardiner Maine
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  6:17:15 PM  Show Profile
Sounds yummy! Your house must of smelled wondeful.

---Cathy---
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  7:42:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sure did! Oh my gosh! Apples are definitly the scent of fall for me. More canning in store tomorrow!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  07:14:10 AM  Show Profile
wow alee you have been so busy this year. what a fine thing canning all that food. our apples are not yet ready. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  08:27:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherry- I am going to can a little more today but I am running out of jars!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  06:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
Alee,

I know what you mean about running out of jars! LOL! I had to take stock of my jars yesterday to decide what to can today!

I have some Apple Butter cooking in the slow-cooker right now, this is my second batch. I will can that in a little bit and I am also going to make the Peach BBQ sauce that was posted here from some of the peaches from our little tree.

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  09:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Candy- you are lucky to have peach trees! Lucky Duck! I only have 6 jars left and I am going to use that to make some tomato sauce today because I had to pick about a bushel and a half yesterday!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  5:54:59 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
You are making my mouth water for apple pie and applesauce! I have not yet canned apple sauce myself. There are a few apple orchards around my house that we pick apples from each year, but I haven't yet made it past pie...LOL! You are so lucky to have apples right in your yard!

Hugs,
Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

Deb H
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Deb
Glendale Missouri
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  3:47:23 PM  Show Profile
I have made MaryJane's pie filling before, with great results. I made it again last weekend and just realized this weekend that I omitted the lemon juice. . . I don't know how, but I did. All jars are processed, of course, but I'm wondering if it all needs to be thrown away or frozen or what. Can anyone help?!?!

"Well-behaved women rarely make history" - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  3:59:12 PM  Show Profile
Oh yummy! Spicy apple scent throughout your house and all of that apple sauce ready for the months ahead!. How much this must smell like autumn has truly arrived Bravo Farmgirl Alee!

Gosh Deb, I'm a canning novice, but I'd guess that the lemon juice is to preserve the colour, but you'd best wait until someone with canning smarts can give you better advice. Best of luck and I hope that all that work doesn't have to go to waste...

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Palouse Prairie Girls Chapter
http://palouseprairiegirls.blogspot.com/
http://prairiegirlsjournal.blogspot.com/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  10:37:56 AM  Show Profile
I made a batch of the apple pie filling yesterday Deb, and guess what, I forgot the lemon juice too !! I even had it sitting right by the stove ready! I ended up pouring the liquid back into the pan, adding the lemon juice just in time before canning. I love this time of year and the scents & smells are so wonderful. I do a crockpot method of apple butter that is heavenly. I have found most people who don't care for apple butter have only had the icky store bought type, there is absolutely no comparison to homemade, it barely tastes like the same thing.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2010 :  09:04:03 AM  Show Profile
"The amount of lemon juice should not be altered because it helps with the safety and storage stability of the fillings."

This came from- http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/food/food_safety/preservation/hgic3160.html

Hope this answers the question.
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  10:12:03 AM  Show Profile
Jars - I thought I would never run out of jars, but I have. It seems each year I do more and more - and then there are the ones I give away as gifts. Some people return the jars in hopes they will be refilled, and some people just keep them. I guess I will have to break down and purchase more this year. I canned almost 500 jars last year. I haven't even started on apples yet and am trying to find enough jars to finish my pears. A neighbor have me 4 bushels and there are still more on his trees. I promised to give him a dozen jars of canned fruit in exchange for the fruit.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  11:55:29 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I am drying some aplles right now with cinnamon and sugar. I can't wait to try them. I have a tree full of them. I think I am going to take the rest to a friend who has a cider press and make cider. These apples make really good very sweet cider.

I still have apple pie filling from last year. Also apple sauce. My 2 cow girls are getting the smaller apples. They love them. It sounds like you have been busy putting things up. Isn't that the greatest feeling? And I have not felt like doing a thing until now. When the weather gets cool I want to start doing things.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  12:48:56 PM  Show Profile
howdy girls, i just went and picked 2 boxes for me and two buckets for my son of apples. so now i can join in. how fun. the gried apples sound good with the sugar and cinnamon. do you soak them first in citric acid or lemon to help with browning? or do you just let them brown and eat anyway? i am going to be over run in a week or so. there are more free apples than a town could use here. 2 farms almost 20 trees free. i am sending the word out to farmgirls friend and hungry folks. i hope some will come. happy days sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

pharmerlaura
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

13 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  3:01:51 PM  Show Profile
I am considering getting some more apples. I love the smell of apples cooking in the fall!
We have bought at least 10-12 dozen jars this year!
Several people have some of mine but it is hard to get them back when they are in 2 different states.
Go to Top of Page

Candy C.
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Candy
Mescal AZ
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  4:12:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Candy C. a Yahoo! Message
One of the fellas at the Farmers Market sold me apples for 50 cents a pound this past Saturday! YAY!! I made some applesauce in the slow cooker this morning and made some apple pie filling. I ended up with two pints of applesauce and five pints of apple pie filling. It all went into the freezer instead of canning.

My goodness Shirley, I can't even imagine canning that much stuff! I have only done about 60 jars so far this year and that is the most I have ever done!

Candy C.
Farmgirl Sister #977

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2010 :  7:44:14 PM  Show Profile
I am on my 2nd dehydrator full of apples. These are just plain though. The cinnamon sugar ones are so good. I should eat some when I want something sweet. No, I did not do anything except peel them and stick them in the dehydrator. Now I need some baggies. Everyone sure is busy with the apples right now. I love apples. I wish we had a basement to store them in though.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Apples, Apples Everywhere! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page