Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What are you working on for Christmas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you working on for Christmas? Next Topic
Page: of 2

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2308 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2308 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  09:27:43 AM  Show Profile
With the leaves starting to change here and harvest in full swing, I have started to think of my christmas list again. So far this year I have made several cosmetic bags, crocheted 5 vingage looking twirly scarves, crocheted and knitted dishclothes, and embroidered a few dishtowels. Have lots more projects I want to complete but feel I have made a good start. I always have a bin to put completed projects in so at christmas I can pull it out and start wrapping. What is everyone else working on for christmas gifts, I would love new ideas!

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  1:31:49 PM  Show Profile
Right now I am working on a quilt with mice embroidery for my oldest daughter and a table runner with red roses for her as well. Then I am going to make a thread catcher for my Mom's new sewing table. Then I will have to get started on the traditional Christmas pajamas.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

MerryHeartSister
True Blue Farmgirl

158 Posts

Christy
Tuscaloosa Alabama
USA
158 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  1:38:20 PM  Show Profile
Chef's hats for the children, two quilts, pillowcases, lots of embroideried goodies. Doesn't seem to be enough time left to get it all done. I've already made more gifts than last year so I'm not gonna stress about it.

Farmgirl #1951
Home is a gift that should be opened every day.
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  4:12:28 PM  Show Profile
I don't do too much along those lines. I make jams, jellies, relishes, and store up butternut squash to make gift baskets from. I also like to make organizers/day planners. My girls like to make candy and box it up in pretty tins for each family member. I've been working on jams and relishes for months now.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  7:51:02 PM  Show Profile
For the past few years I have done homemade gifts, but this year I am fresh out of ideas. I really don't know what to do. I need help! I thought it would be nice to give to charity, but my babysitting money I made this summer didn't last as long as I thought! But I think I may just do homemade, because it is cheaper and it means something as well. Any ideas?
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  11:45:20 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I started my first Christmas gift yesterday. It is a kitty backpack for a friends little girl. I saw one in a store and thought I can make something better than that, so I got started.

http://www.alittlebitofred.webs.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  03:21:24 AM  Show Profile
Nothing, no one to give gifts to but me lol. I might start working on some cute decorations soon for me though :)

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

My personal blog:
http://just-me-a-dutch-girl.blogspot.com/

Almost daily updates on me and mine :)
Go to Top of Page

PilgrimSoul
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Jessie
NJ
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile
While I'd love to craft things for Christmas, I'm just not good at anything like that yet. So, I'll be making gift baskets with my jams, fruit butters, and some homemade bread and crackers.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  8:57:35 PM  Show Profile
It's funny you bring up this topic; just this morning I went downstairs to hunt for a quilt pattern that uses hankies. Grandma gave me a whole bag of vintage hankies when she downsized to a senior apartment a few years back, and I've decided to pick a few of the prettiest to make a quilt for her Christmas present this year. It's only the second quilt I've ever attempted - the first being a beginner's kit from Jo-Ann's - so expect to see LOTS of quilting questions on the board over the next few months!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  9:01:03 PM  Show Profile
I am teaching myself to crochet again (my grandma taught me when I was a little girl) so that I can make some scarves etc. I'm currently working on my 1st afghan.
I am also in the process of collecting seeds from the garden to package as part of some Christmas presents.
I would like to try my hand at canning some items from the garden as well so that I can make some baskets up.
I would truly love for this Christmas to be a "handmade" one. I cant stand how commercial it has become and every year we all say "its ridiculous and we're gonna cut back" but no one ever does.
I want to be the "change" this year and bring back the true meaning of the season!
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister #1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  07:21:41 AM  Show Profile
I've been making lots of jams and salsas for gift baskets. I'm planning to make some assorted spice blends and rubs for gifts, so if anyone has some good recipes for those, let me know.
Also, sewing up a storm. Trying to locate a Simplicity pattern for a child's throw made of polar fleece and looks like "Nemo"
Handmade Christmas is so much fun.
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  1:21:24 PM  Show Profile
What good ideas! I haven't started anything yet, but my good friend made a bunch of shawls last year from pretty fabrics she'd found.

Megan, for inexpensive ideas, I think unraveling an old sweater and knitting it up into small things like mittens or a scarf would be really sweet. Sometimes you can get sweaters with fabulous yarns at thrift shops for next to nothing because they are stained or torn, but they still make great yarn.

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  3:23:23 PM  Show Profile
I started making handcrafted gifts back when I was in college, feeling semi-grown up but broke as heck LOL. It started with food baskets. My family is obsessed with food (so say outsides!) but they all have their specialties, mostly savory but mine is sweet, so that always worked. The first year I could afford "real" presents, I was SO proud of myself!! I never give gifts just to give, they have to mean something to me or at least to the receiver, something I KNOW they will want. Imagine how deflated I was when everyone politely thanked me but questioned where the goodie baskets were that year?!? Now my crafting has expanded and I can make a lot more things so they no longer mind getting non-food gifts LOL. Thankfully, though almost no one in my family does any crafting, they are all very appreciative of the work do.

This Christmas, I am aiming to make my first bed sized quilts for the four kids, my aunt and my dad. Will also be my first attempts at machine quilting. Three tops are pieced so I really need to get going on that one! Cousins will most likely get jewelry, I haven't made anyone any in a few years. Friends get misc craftings.....

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  1:56:49 PM  Show Profile
You gals have some great ideas, I wish I could make the time to do more.

I just love some of the ideas I read here, like chef's hats and the date books 2!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  2:24:57 PM  Show Profile
Started a log cabin afghan for my son (again! He got the last one too close to the rat cage while I was still working on it). I am making hanging dishtowels for all my lady friends this year. I found a pattern for some crocheted gourds and squash. I plan to make some for a dandelion I know. She likes gourds. Probably making jammie pants and bags for the girls again this year.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  9:01:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Hallie! I might make everyone scarves, I don't know yet!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  09:30:46 AM  Show Profile
At least we still have time, Megan!

I love all of these ideas. Maybe I will be able to do a 100% homemade gifts this year.

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2010 :  7:15:37 PM  Show Profile
Hallie, I actually already decided on one of my gifts. My aunt and uncle just got married, so obviously they are just starting out. So I'm going to get a bunch of family recipes from my friends and other family, and type it up into a cookbook for them!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  03:45:41 AM  Show Profile
I did that for a wedding present last year! I made Sawson an apron and put the easiest recipes I could find in a pretty binder for her. She did not know how to cook at all. The couple is Chaldean and she always said her fiance didn't mind if she didn't know how to cook. I told her he would eventually. Guess who was right? He told her about a month before the wedding if she didn't learn to cook he was going to ship her to her mother's. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to pee my pants.

Men are simple. Food and sex. I like them that way. No mystery. Women are complicated enough for both! LOL

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

knittingmomma
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Tonya
Vermont
106 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  04:40:15 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I have started working on knitted hats, crocheted personalized playing card holders, knit socks, embroidered felt candle mats, and more.

What has helped the most, however is starting a Handmade Holiday Journal. I have 2 pages per immediate family member and then one page for all else. Whenever an idea strikes, I just write it down - oh this helps so much!

I have started a Handmade Holiday group through my blog if anyone is interested. It is just to share ideas and motivation.

Warm wishes,
Tonya
Homemaking, Homesteading Mom of 6
http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  04:47:24 AM  Show Profile
I am making myself a scarve, a cute pink one with some of the pompadoodle yarn I got :)

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2010 :  11:40:24 AM  Show Profile
Well, it seems I'm making a bunch of scarves, I'm going to maybe try my hand at making chocolate dipped pretzels, and then other miscellaneous items. Can't wait to get started!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  10:13:52 AM  Show Profile
I like the way you ladies think. Tonya, your journal is such a sweet and thoughtful idea. Can you imagine someone journaling about what you'd like from September through December? The recipe book idea really nice and personal too.

And Liz, that's funny stuff. Personally, I think a man that can't cook or clean is pretty unattractive, so I guess I can sympathize with your friend. I mean, if he can't even cook for himself how's he supposed to cook for me?

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  06:42:26 AM  Show Profile
I'm embroidering kitchen towels with herb designs for my granddaughter and daughter and a couple of family friends. Another friend has commented favorably on my aprons, so maybe she will get an embroideried apron. I'm also thinking of crocheting a few swiffer socks as stocking stuffers. I love mine.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:09:33 PM  Show Profile
Im making hand made orniments for some and for others I am making baskets with diffrent home made pasteries and canned items.

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:28:58 PM  Show Profile
Finished the scarf, it is looking SO cute, lol.

Now am in the process of knitting a cardy, just for me haha.

My personal blog:

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic What are you working on for Christmas? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page