urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  6:20:38 PM  Show Profile
OK, so when I first started making my own lye soap, I made my own laundry soap to use instead of detergent. I love it and my skin is much happier not using detergents. But I have also used soap nuts and they work really well for me. Recently I bought one of those laundry balls that has several different types of ceramic balls in it. It seems to work well, too, though perhaps not quite as good as soap or the nuts. Anyone else vying with less than traditional laundry cleaning methods?

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2010 :  6:41:10 PM  Show Profile
I saw one of those laundry balls the other day. I thought it was at least worth a try since it was $9.99 and was saying it would cover several hundred washes. And I found it at JoAnn Fabrics and had a 40% off coupon. I just didn't have any extra cash on me that day. I'd like to try it if it works decently. Right now I made my own laundry soap with Fels Naptha, but I have to get a commercial dye, fragrance and enzyme free kind for my littlest as the homemade is even too harsh for his skin. All of my babies had horribly sensitive skin when it came to laundry soap.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2010 :  3:56:05 PM  Show Profile
LOL - that's where I got my laundry ball too! I don't think it will work on real tough stains (I had one item with a slight mark after going through the wash)but for your basic laundry I think it works just fine.

My cousin Lisa's sons have sensitive skin like your littlest. Using a handmade, unscented soap instead of the Fels Naptha should work in a base. Or even the soap nuts. Lisa has used both with success, otherwise she needs to buy some baby wash stuff that's absurdly expensive.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  06:05:21 AM  Show Profile
I just ordered some soap nuts, and can't wait to put them to the test. However, I can only wash with cold water (machine is old and hot intake does not work any more) so I'll have to soak the berries in hot water then wash with them. I hope they work! I've been reading about them, and they do sound interesting.

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  06:28:17 AM  Show Profile
I make My own laundry powder. I used Fels Naptha at first and it worked well but the smell made me wheeze. Grating it was a horrible experience. I switched to Kirk's Castile and have been super happy with it. It works for all of us sensitivity wise and with a vinegar softening rinse My clothes have never been cleaner or softer.
If you haven't switched to vinegar yet give it a try. My towels work again and T shirts are sooo soft.
I'd like to try soap nuts if nothing else out of curiosity! I'd really like to plant some trees for my grandkids to use someday.
Connie

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

dazed81
Farmgirl in Training

43 Posts

Meagan
Wyanet IL
USA
43 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2011 :  08:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Send dazed81 a Yahoo! Message
I use the duggar recipe with Fels Naptha. I make the liquid soap. I am very happy with it, but I do also have some Kirks to try in my next batch, and some Zote.

I had been using a natural detergent that I purchased in bulk online, with vinegar softener, for several years, because of cloth diapers. It was less expensive than regular store brands, but the duggar recipe is PHENOMENAL cheap :)

Mamma to Ardyn Isabel (9-3-07) and Marek Owen (3-31-09)

An Original Farm Girl Transferred to a small town with marriage. 6 Buff Orpington Chicks and 14 year old "Boyd the Wonder Beagle"
You'll find us Blogging, Cloth Diapering, Breastfeeding, Sewing, Gardening, Crafting and Recycling.
www.adventuresineverydaylife.com
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2011 :  04:57:44 AM  Show Profile
I do the Duggar recipe for Laundry soap also, if a load is particuarly stained or I want my whites brighter I ad some borax. My skin is happy, my clothes are clean, and my city living mother thinks I am nuts.

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  12:36:18 PM  Show Profile
I use the recipe that came out a while back in MJF, using Kirk's Castile soap, borax, super washing soda, and baking soda. I use about 1/8 tsp per load in my HE front loader, and a vinegar final rinse. Everything comes out super clean and fresh smelling! If I have a bad stain, I rub it with Fels Naptha soap--works great to yank out greasy nasties.

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  6:00:18 PM  Show Profile
Cris - 1/8 teaspoon? Wow - I use 1 Tablespoon. 2 Tablespoons for really filthy. I'm impressed with 1/8 teaspoon.
Go to Top of Page

chickenladycris
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Cris
Prairie Farm WI
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2011 :  7:07:58 PM  Show Profile
OOps! I mean 1/8 cup! Ha ha! I should not write down laundry detergent measurements after I bake cookies....

"A farmgirl can never have enough chickens!"--me
Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  04:02:50 AM  Show Profile
hahaha. I also use FN. I'm going to buy some Dr. Bronners to use next time, as I like how their soaps smell much better.

Farmgirl #2879 :)
Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Canadian farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Lori
Ontario
Canada
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  07:21:24 AM  Show Profile
I tried the soap nuts this weekend, and I am impressed! I did one load with 5 nuts in a little muslin bag, presoaked in hot water for 10 minutes. That load came out well. Then I made up a batch of liquid concentrate, simmering 10 nuts in 6 cups of water on the stove for an hour, then straining that. You then use 1/4 cup of this concentrate for a load. I use cold water. Everything's coming out great, and my dark clothes finally have no detergent residue on them. I'm sold!

Farmgirl Sister #183
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  11:59:13 AM  Show Profile
chickenladycris - LOL. Thanks for the clarification. I was kicking my practical/frugal self thinking I'd been using 1-2 Tablespoons when all I needed was 1/8 teaspoon. Have a great day.
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Emily
Chambersburg PA
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2011 :  1:19:34 PM  Show Profile
Chicken Lady, would you mind sharing the recipe from MJF?

---
Farmgirl #2951
Currently renting-farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page
  Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Laundry Detergent Alternatives Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page