Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Fabulous Farm Collectibles
 *Farmgirl Barter™
 looking for good condition cloth diapers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic looking for good condition cloth diapers Next Topic  

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2010 :  10:05:13 PM  Show Profile
I am expecting a baby in the spring and want to use cloth diapers. This will be my first child, so you can imagine how overwhelmed I am looking into the different types of cloth diapers out there. I just thought I might see if anyone had some used cloth diapers they'd be willing to sell. I'd prefer ones that are waterproof and can be used with the standard tri-fold diaper or insert rather than the all in ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
http://happeningsofangieandwayne.blogspot.com/

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  05:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Angie, I'll look and see what I've got.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  07:00:03 AM  Show Profile
I used cloth diapers with my kids, but that was almost twenty years ago. I can't imagine what is out there now. I was glad I did though. It wasn't any worse than disposable and way cheaper. After the first month or so I only had to do one load a week. Although I did flush one down the toilet trying to get some poo off it. LOL Oops!

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2010 :  09:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Siobhan! If you don't have any to spare, can you recommend which ones worked best for you?

Liz, thanks for the laugh! There are so many choices out there that it's overwhelming! I do my research, but to be honest, when I'm done after 4 hours of reading reviews, etc, I feel like I waisted my time because I'm no closer to making a decision. I've done this several times. I guess just finding a trustworthy opinion would be the most helpful.

Thanks again ladies!
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  05:02:36 AM  Show Profile
I'd do cloth all over again. When the baby is done with them they make the best cleaning rags. I had to switch my daughter to disposable after we got divorced because daycare wouldn't do cloth and it took forever to potty train her. Her brother was easy. I think it is because with the disposable they don't feel wet so they don't know what they did.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  06:16:36 AM  Show Profile
Ok Angie, I went through my diapers and I'm now remembering that I gave all my newborn diapers to a friend this last spring. I did find two itty bitty newborn swaddlebees fitteds if you want those. They are cotton velour so they are not as super soft as they were brand new but they are still in good condition. I don't know if you've even considered using fitteds yet, but they're yours if you want them. You will just need to put a cover over them. Here's my advice on starting cloth. Don't just go with one kind as you are just setting yourself up for possible frustration and failure. What works for someone else might not work perfectly for you. Every baby and family is different and they have different needs. So, that said, mix it up a bit when choosing your first stash. Really the BEST diapers for the newborn phase (because they pee and poo ALL THE TIME) in my opinion are good ol' refolds with a good cover over top. The best covers for newborns (and they just happen to be one of the most economical options out there) are Thirsties. They have a little poo catching gusset in the leg that will save you from the infamous newborn explosion poo. It happens to everyone but those who use disposables often also invest in a lot of Spray n Wash. Now thirsties has come out with a one size option that I have not tried, but in my experience, one size don't typically fit the newborn phase well and the covers are so inexpensive anyways that I just get them in sizes.
Once you're out of the newborn phase, you can continue with prefolds and pins (or snappis) and covers, or another good option is the pocket diaper. When they're small, you can reuse the newborn prefolds as inserts, therefor getting double use out of them. As they grow bigger inserts will be needed for larger quantities of pee, but you can find inserts fairly inexpensively. There are several one-size options of pocket diapers out there that work great once baby is out of the newborn phase and has a bit of chunk on the legs. I would not recommend Fuzzy Bunz as all of ours have lost the leg elastic so bad that I would not even give the things away. They are made with poly-braid elastic which corrodes over time. If you have time to research it, find a one-size pocket with Lastin elastic and you've found a workhorse of a diaper. I'm sure someone makes them now, but I have been out of the cloth diaper buying world for over a year now.
When it all comes down to it, like I said, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Take recommendations, but get a few of other styles as they all come in handy at one point. All-in-ones are great for church or babysitters (or inlaws and husbands) as they are no different and as idiot-proof as a disposable. Fitteds are nice because they have snaps (easy - especially for husbands) and you can combine them with a wool cover if baby ever gets a diaper rash and it will be very breathable (PUL covers and pocket diapers which are also PUL are not breathable) and allow the skin to heal. If you ever want some knitted wool pants, let me know. It's my specialty :) The benefit to wool is that the covers can be worn over and over again for upwards of two weeks before having to wash them (unless they get poo on them of course) because the natural properties of wool evaporate the urine and deodorize as well.
Well, I think I've probably flooded your thoughts with more information that you wanted LOL! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know exactly what you mean by how exhausting the research process is. You literally spend hours and don't feel like you've arrived at any more of a decision than when you started. Hang in there, diversify and keep it simple. You will love cloth diapering. It's so good for your baby AND your budget.

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

Edited by - clothedinscarlet on Aug 22 2010 06:30:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  07:03:00 AM  Show Profile
OK...I did a quick search for one size pockets with Lastin elastic and I came up with these two options. The first seems very inexpensive, but you'll notice that it doesn't come with an insert and by the time you add one on it's more expensive than the second, which comes with two inserts. The big difference is that the first is front snapping and the second is side snapping (that's totally a preference thing - I like front snapping because it's more like a disposable and won't confuse other people and leave room for a diaper being put on backwards). They both have discounts for buying multiples, which is nice.
Anyways, just wanted to throw that information out there.

http://www.snap-ez.com/CartECOPocket.html
http://www.squishytushy.com/aio-ai2-amp-pockets-c-163/knickernappies-one-size-side-snapping-pocket-diaper-p-957

Farmgirl Sister #1110

Edited by - clothedinscarlet on Aug 22 2010 07:07:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Little Red Caboose
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Angie
Three Rivers Michigan
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2010 :  10:53:21 AM  Show Profile
Siobhan, thank you so much for the recommendations! That's exactly what I needed! I did already buy a newborn "diaper system" called Bambino Mio. It included 3 pul covers and 12 flats. I got those because of the gussets and they seemed rather easy to use. I won't know until the baby gets here, but they look like they'll do the job. I'd still be very interested in the fitteds you have though. Let me know how much you need. The sites you linked me to were great, the prices were pretty reasonable too. I'll look further into them. I'm definitely more interested in learning about the wool. I was really considering wool because my husband has psoriasis and I also have sensitive skin. I figure the odds are that baby will have sensitive skin as well. So you make them to sell? I'm interested! My concern with wool is whether you have a lot of outfit changes because they soak through. Do you find yourself having to do more laundry because of heavy wetting? How effective are the woolies at keeping leaks concealed? Do they get hot in the summertime? I really feel ignorant in this area. You are a godsend!

Thanks!
Angie

Farmgirl Sister # 1940
Go to Top of Page
  *Farmgirl Barter™: Previous Topic looking for good condition cloth diapers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page