Page: of 4

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2005 :  10:00:00 AM  Show Profile
Right now my home is a disaster area... filled with "things"... keepsakes from my mother's closet because she's finally decided to share those little family heirlooms with her kids. Over Christmas we went through one cupboard of things, she decided which of us kids should have what, I wrote down its' history on a piece of paper for each of us... my brothers are not the sentimental types about these things, so I hope their wives value some of these trinkets. I, however, am enamoured of them and their stories and the lives they have lived. My problem is in my small house I have just about no where to display them, without totally removing what I have and redecorating (which I've contemplated). In the past I've taken the time to "Feng Shui" my home to get the energy cleared and moving well, but you'd never know it now! I guess today will be my day of deciding what goes where and get that box of treasures out of the middle of my living room floor!
Here is a link to Cheryl-Anne Milsap's recent column on clutter. I think we're kindred spirits...http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=45562

Hope you enjoy the link. Anyone else having this dilemma?

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Jan 02 2005 10:07:06 AM

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2005 :  3:42:10 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
I love the month of Jan. I use it to renew my spirit around my house. I am painting and reorganizing and praying that all of these things settle my being into a restful Feb. and recharge me for spring.
terese

beginnings
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2005 :  09:03:32 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl-Anne's latest column has the recommendation of listening to books on tape while clearing clutter and cleaning. I have not tried this, and am not sure I could multi-task ... but it seems to work for her, and perhaps it will work for you too! Here's her perspective: http://www.spokesmanreview.com/tools/story_pf.asp?ID=46894
Does anyone out there use this approach? I tend to like quiet, or soft music to get me moving... I did purchase some shelving units to get things more organized, and this is proving to be a good solution to my situation... as long as I don't accumulate any more "stuff". And the task of assembling the shelving units is keeping my brain and body workin'!!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2005 :  09:59:29 AM  Show Profile
When I clean and declutter, which is one of my favorite things to do - really - I need the silence. My mind goes back to other times when I see certain items, and I contemplate whether I really need this or that. I also envision in my mind's eye the space as I want it to look when it is organized. All of this demands concentration and silence. Often, after I clean a drawer, a closet, an attic, or even a big old box of stuff, I come away from it like I have been on a trip somewhere else. I love a whole day to myself when I can drag things out and organize without others saying "Keep this, don't throw that, let's put it over there"!! :)
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 07 2005 10:00:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2005 :  1:14:54 PM  Show Profile
I have inherited the trait from my darling mother that I see possibilty in everything and potential to make something everywhere!
She never discouraged us as kids and we made some wild stuff!
I believe that I am a severe clutter queen and need the services of the Clean Sweep team! My project materials exceed my storage space!
It would help if I had a house that had more than two closets! How many armoires can one woman have?!!!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2005 :  11:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Hi girlfriends!
I just got the cutest invitation to a party. The card is a painting of volupouos naked middle aged women dancing around among flowers. It is really a neet painting. It is an invitation to a "Naked Lady Party"
It immediately asks "what is a naked Lady party?"
The explaination goes like this. We all have clothes in our closets that no longer fit, that were never right, wrong style, or color for us, whatever! Bring them clean, on hangers and exchange them for something that fits you and is the right style,color or whatever that came out of somebody elses closet.The great thing is that you get to shop, get a new outfit and spend NO MONEY! You can even bring accessories, shoes,coats scarves. Anything you no longer use.
Bring a pot luck dish and we will share a meal and shop till we drop!
Doesn't this sound like a blast?
I cannot wait!
Thought you guys might get a bang out of this idea.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2005 :  11:58:41 AM  Show Profile
Eileen-- The Mom's group I used to belong to did this but we never called it a naked lady party! We swapped everything you mentioned and had a blast! We were a bunch of stay at home Mom's getting used to one income so no cost involved was great. I still use a Coach bucket bag someone didn't want because it was green. One girls trash is another girls treasure! Have fun, we sure did!(It also worked very well when we did it with things our kids had outgrown for those of you with little ones).

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2005 :  3:07:31 PM  Show Profile
I think the naked lady idea must have come from the thought that so many of us sometimes have when looking into our closets. We have a closet full of stuff but nothing to wear so we feel naked. Any way I am looking forward to this fun exchange.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2005 :  6:22:56 PM  Show Profile
This idea really made me smile! And the title is adorable. Just think of the visual if you had a blend of two parties at once....The Naked Ladies and the Red Hat Society! :)
jpbluesky

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  10:47:31 AM  Show Profile
That is too fun! Maybe I will tell my friend Bonnie about this idea.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  12:19:30 PM  Show Profile
The combination (naked with red hats) sounds like a fun party! I was just cleaning out my closets (again!) to fill a box for Goodwill. Yes, it seems that although I am not a saver at heart or a "clutterer" (that would be hubby's department), I still end up with things I no longer use, wear or want. As I get older I find that I want less of "stuff" especially when it comes to clothes...some of that stuff just looks dumb on me, and even if I lose 20 lbs. it still won't look right! So, out it goes. Don't know anyone who would fit into my clothes though, so a party is out. Thinking of having a chocolate tasting party for Valentine's Day however...

Cecelia

ce's farm

"Curiosity is one of the forms of feminine bravery" Victor Hugo
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  2:09:39 PM  Show Profile
Just finished "clearing out" some big things...an old futon and an older tv. I was going to have one of the thrift stores pick up them as a donation; however, they only pick up on random weekdays between certain hours, so that just doesn't work for a working girl!! Then I remembered something my daughter and her family participate in in the Seattle area called FreeCycle. Many communities already have them established.. check it out. http://www.freecycle.org/ It is a place to post your offerings or needs on a web group. You receive email updates of items offered, etc. My futon and tv have found a new home with a single mother... so I feel very good about the giving. Plus-- the guy who picked them up for her is a computer prof at the community college and offered me help with my computer whenever I might need it, as a barter! Isn't that nice! What goes around, comes around.... I hope you'll all check it out at their website. You can search to see if a group has been started in your community, and join up... or if you feel inclined, start one up yourself.
It just makes me feel that much better about clearing things out.
I'm with you Cecelia... time to hit the closets next, once I have all these books under control on my new shelves!

Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  5:44:25 PM  Show Profile
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font=Comic Sans MS]
Howdy gals!

I just had to put my two cents worth in on the subject of decluttering. I belong to a wonderful web group called www.flylady.net
It is all about getting your life organized and in control 15 minutes at a time. I get daily reminders from Flylady and testimonials sent to my e-mail. At first the reminders are too much and you have to delete most of them, but once you get into the routines, they are very helpful. The testimonials can be very inspiring and always let me know that I am not alone in my CHAOS. Most important, she teaches me to love myself and not to get bogged down in perfectionism.

Give it a try for at least a week or at least go and visit the website and read some of the testimonials. It really does help!!
Dar
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2005 :  8:37:48 PM  Show Profile
This group has got to be the most supportive group ever. Great advice here on getting rid of clutter. When I get rid of stuff, it makes me feel freer....it is that much less to keep track of and take care of! And I always like to know that someone else is using it. I use consignment shops, Goodwill, the church clothes closet, and our city even has a lot of curb shoppers! Put something on the curb, and if it is good, it will be gone in a couple of hours. It is amazing how people can spot a treasure. And the wonder of it is there is an unspoken etiquette to curb shopping. The object has to be leaning against or in the vicinity of the garbage can so it is obvious the resident did not simply forget to take in their mower! :) I have even had someone come to my door and ask if they could have the stuff I leave on the curb. Once I put two suitcases out and a very polite woman came and asked me if she could take them to use for kids packing to go to foster homes.

Of course, curb shopping would not work as well for us if I lived on a farm like I dream of doing! :)

jpbluesky

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jan 09 2005 8:41:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2005 :  4:36:21 PM  Show Profile
Dar, I can only speak for myself but the last thing I need in regards to "decluttering" is any more mail coming to my inbox! Sometimes I feel like the machines are controlling us. I'd like to rent a dumpster and just start at one end of the house and work my way to the other!

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2005 :  5:06:14 PM  Show Profile
Cecelia

You don't have to subscribe to the e-mail list. But you can go and read the site and get great ideas also. I love the Flylady for her simple and heartfelt approach to getting rid of clutter and finding peace for your home and your family. I don't recommend very many websites, but Flylady has been a lifesaver for me.
The word FLY stands for "finally loving yourself".

"live each day as if it were your last".
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  07:27:34 AM  Show Profile
I put flyers up at local colleges and universities advertising free old furniture, broken TV's that can be repaired, kitchen stuff, clothes,old CD's and tapes, lamps ect... with the provision that the students pick it up and I am amazed how the junk disappears! The students love the stuff and I know that it will be used and appreciated.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  12:01:21 PM  Show Profile
Thanks to all of you wonderful ladies for such great suggestions. I just subscribed to the Dallas/Fort Worth Freecycle network and am looking forward to participating. I have been a part time user of "Fly Lady" for several years. I am almost finished with the "de-cluttering phase" after all of this time; I had lots of "stuff". My move out to the country helped alot because I was determined that I was not going to "schlep" lots of boxes to my tiny cottage. I have about 8 kitchen drawers, 1 box of papers, and 1 bedroom shelf left to sort. I have found this to be a very "liberating" experience. Some of my family members think that I am now deprived because I don't have lots of things to display, but I think that just need to try this process to understand. "Keeping up with the Jones is not for me."

The clutter challenge that will be ongoing is the onslaught of paper that I receive daily---bills, newsletters, insurance paperwork, receipts, vet records etc. Any suggestions on this?

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  1:37:28 PM  Show Profile
Howdy gals!
Isn't getting rid of clutter liberating? I'm going through my entire house (one room at a time) and getting rid of ALL of the things I don't absolutely need or love. Stuff doesn't do anything but take up space and our time to try and find places for all of it anyway.
I can't say that I've found a great way to deal with the Paper "monster" yet. I'll be getting to that soon. I'm leaving the best project for last, lol!
Dar

Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  3:32:26 PM  Show Profile
Well I'm glad I don't have to subscribe to more email! Yes decluttering is liberating - the real challenge is not to fill up all that new space with new stuff! I was "into" rubber stamping for awhile, but now don't have time for it (not to mention the expense of all those inks, etc.) but there doesn't seem to be a market for it. It's a definite challenge to find ways to fill time without it costing money: the library is a great substitute for buying books unless it's a real collectible I want (same goes for dvd's/videos), but what about hobby material? Anyone have any more suggestions? I'm not sure I want to just give away knitting needles, embroidery hoops, thread, yarn, etc. which I'm not using now but might in the future - and in the future I may not be able to afford those hobbies if I had to start from scratch. So?

Cecelia

ce's farm

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  7:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the flylady link I enjoyed the lists of items finally flung! Some were just weird though ala Norman Bates! It's really just practical common sense we all have it's just put into manageable time blocks that you have spelled out. I think I'll give it a try some day soon.
Papers that I need to save have been the bane of my existence but last year I finally solved it on January 1st! I had an expandable file that closes with a handle on top and labeled each segment(pay stubs, bank statements, dr receipts, charitable donations, etc...)
Surprisingly, even my husband used it and now we are all ready to do our taxes!
Cecelia-- I am a crafter too and found that organizing my supplies in those moving barrels has worked well in the past. Label them on the outside, combine similar crafts and you will have all of your supplies in one location.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2005 :  12:25:48 PM  Show Profile
The only way I seem to be able to handle the paper monster is to deal with each paper only once. I now look through my mail while I am at the post office because they have a recycling bin right there. I look at the flyers I want to see, Make note of what I want to remember and throw them directly into the bin. Then I open the bills.Toss the envelopes into the bin along with the inserts that I do not need to keep. Then the magazines and catalogues. I put all the catalogues I do not want to look at on the counter for any body else that wants them. I only bring home the things I must such as letters, bills and magazines or important catalogues. ^The letters I read first and respond to at once. Then file them where I keep special letters or put them into the garbage if I do not need to keep them. I put my bills in a special bill recepticle in my office where I will look at them only one more time when I sit down to pay them. I then file them in my filing system for use at tax time.. This time of year the catalogues would pile up to the ceiling if I brought them all into the house! All of the credit card offers go directly into the fire place. No sense in temptation sitting around stewing.
So my motto: Paper is to be handled only once and filed or tossed as necessary. No more paper piles on my desk!
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2005 :  8:28:56 PM  Show Profile
That is a very good way to handle the paper that constantly comes into our homes. I think I'll start trying to use your system.

Speaking of catalogues, do you have some favorites that have something to do with country living, casual (inexpensive) clothing, and seeds you could suggest?
Dar

Edited by - celticlady on Jan 12 2005 8:30:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  09:22:12 AM  Show Profile
Sierra Trading post is my favorite place to look at clothing first. Lots of stuff to wear for those of us who get very dirty on a regular basis including boots gloves shoes and just about anything you might think of. I often go online just to look at their closeout and bargain basement pages. I have never been dissapointed here.
The other catalogues I get are full priced but I do also look at the web sites for closeouts as they often do not send out catalogues of these things.
Eileen

Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  11:33:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Eileen, I'll check it out as soon as I'm done here on MJF!

Do you ever get catalogues from cumberland general store? It's fun to look at some of the products they offer, though they do seem a bit pricey.
I like the clothes in the Cabela's catalogue, although they cost a bit more too. I guess if you want something that will last, you need to pay a little more.
Dar

Go to Top of Page

taylor
honeybee

40 Posts

40 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2005 :  12:10:15 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, just thought I'd share one of my biggest problems: Mail... it comes in through a drop slot into a small foyer spilling into a basket that inevitably overflows. Carol's advise is to go through my mail and deal with it everyday but I still avoid it like the plague... it is always full of bills and annoying insurance stuff that just gives me a huge headache. In fact I am very behind on some health insurance claims because of this huge pet-peeve of mine. I tell myself everyweek that I am going to sit down and deal with it but inevitably something else comes up. I know I'd feel a lot less stressed out if I would just deal with those sorts of things!

Also, I went to that flylady site I really love the advise about dealing with clutter! I think I will try the throwing away 27 things idea. One thing I must mention though is there must be better ways to clean a sink than pouring a cup of bleach in. I would reccomend Bon Ami. Though I dont't wipe my sink out with a dry towel after each use as she suggests, I do wash my sink just as if it were another dish after each dish washing session. This seams to keep things clean.

-Taylor

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic Clearing Clutter...... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page