Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 Feeding my little farmgirl
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Feeding my little farmgirl Next Topic  

Merryday
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Kansas
30 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  5:56:48 PM  Show Profile
I am trying my darndest to feed my little farmgirl (almost 1 year) healthy foods. So far, we're off to a pretty good start, she loves meat, cheese and veggies (not a big fan of sweets, believe it or not!). Anyway, I am fretful about organic foods. Ideally, I would love to feed her ONLY organic, but it is soooo pricey and we're on a pretty strict budget. Any suggestions?
Thanks for sharing!

"As you travel through life, remember your goal, keep your eye on the doughnut, and not on the hole" - something my Pop used to say

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  6:26:28 PM  Show Profile
Do you have any local CSA organic gardeners? I found that they are pretty reasonable for organic vegetables and fruit if you are willing to make your own baby food and such. I also found Whole Foods market to be pretty reasonable for organic. When I switched my family to organic we just had to increase our food budget. We just had to make a few changes like my DH brown bags it to work, I cook alot more from scratch, and grow my own veggies. Surprisingly enough some major grocery stores are selling more organic foods like Super Walmart.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  7:28:28 PM  Show Profile
Shop at local farmers markets too. There are lots of small substainable farms . The grow organicly but many are not certified . Talk to the farmers about there growing practices. Also with small farms you are getting "fresh" picked (usually less than 24 hrs of market meaning more vitamins and nutients. Check for local farms and markets at http://www.localharvest.org/
My daughter is almost 2 and I made most of her baby food from scratch It really seemed less expensive than buy things premade

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/
Go to Top of Page

Merryday
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Mary
Kansas
30 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  07:46:52 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the pointing me to the local harvest website! It is wonderful -- I love that they have "fibers" products too.

"As you travel through life, remember your goal, keep your eye on the doughnut, and not on the hole" - something my Pop used to say
Go to Top of Page

jallibunn
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Jodi
Missoula MT
USA
12 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  8:05:56 PM  Show Profile
The suggestions for farmer's markets are excellent--doing that and/or a CSA will save you bundles on organic veggies. Most importantly, they will be local, which is more important than organic in many ways.

Another thing you can do is to prioritize what you buy organic. Dairy and meat really need to be organic for her sake--you don't want her to ingest synthetic hormones and antibiotic residues; ditto for any fats, which are concentrated. But it may be less important for all of your grains to be organic. Yes, it's ideal--and awfully important to support organic farmers. And I'd be more likely to follow the suggestions above about cutting back in other ways.

We find that by getting all our vegetables from a CSA, almost all our fruit in bulk directly from farmers, and shopping in bulk for most of our grains/beans/other dry good, we eat for much less money than the USDA average for our family, even though we eat almost exclusively organic food. We also run two freezers, have two root cellars, and can a lot, so there's a significant investment of (mostly my) labor.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Feeding my little farmgirl Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page