SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  05:20:58 AM  Show Profile
Our new house has a dryer that doesn't dry, so my husband has built a nice clothesline for us. The clothes look so nice out there in the wind, and they smell great too, but. . .they feel SO stiff when they're dry!! And all the little fuzzes and dog/cat hairs, etc. that spread onto the clothes in the wash cycle just dry onto the clothes when they're line-dried, and then are hard to get off. Any suggestions would be appreciated!! Thanks!

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  05:33:03 AM  Show Profile
The wind, for me, usually removes anything left. Sorry I'm not much help.

Visit my blog sites:

http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  08:11:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Put a quarter to half cup of vinegar in your rinse water of your machine and then give each item a really sharp *snap* right before you put it on the line and another as you take it off and fold it into your basket. Also as Kristina mentioned- utilize windy days!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  09:06:31 AM  Show Profile
They are tearing down all the houses around us, and they all have clothes lines. I always want to sneak over and use them!
Go to Top of Page

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  09:09:27 AM  Show Profile
We've got lots of wind :) but it's not doing its full job apparently :) I usually put the wash in before bed or before we go outside or something, so we're often not watching the machine to see when it's on rinse cycle. I'll have to make an effort to try it.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  09:28:45 AM  Show Profile
if your dryer does not heat, but still tumbles, put your clothes in the dryer when they are 90% dry from the line, it will remove lint and hairs and take the stiffness out.
Other wise you will get used to the stiffness, and shakeing items out before hanging will help...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I put mine in a Downy Ball and it releases in the rinse cycle.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  09:51:15 AM  Show Profile
A good breeze, the "snap" before you hang them and a few minutes in a cool dryer work for me too! I put vinegar in the place where fabric softener goes and it helps remove soap residue that also contributes to stiff clothes.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  4:54:44 PM  Show Profile
The vinegar will also keep rust spots off your clothes if you have hard water. I used it for years. If you put it in the rinse cycle you don't need fabric softener, even with a dryer.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2010 :  6:39:22 PM  Show Profile
I found out that the recommended amount of detergent was way to much. I use half the amount, less than half a cup of bleach, usually a fourth. I also discontinued oxyclean and all the extras. I use vinegar in a downy ball instead of softener. My clothes are barely stiff. We got a lint brush to use before we go out, but for workin we don't care about the lint. Also, put a little less in each load, it lets it rinse better. I have heard that soap nuts will completely eliminate the stiffness, I'm gonna be orderin some. They are available from Lehmans General Store. I give mine a good snap or three before hangin and before foldin. That helps a lot too.

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  06:55:04 AM  Show Profile
Good advice... I also started using vinegar and trying to use less detergent. I'm hoping to start making homemade detergent, but I'm having a hard time finding castile soap at a good price (that will be another forum topic). I don't really mind the stiffness, it goes away pretty quickly after using/wearing laundry.

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  3:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elizabeth- I make a homemade bar soap that is specifically formulated for laundry- let me know if you would like some. I am about to make another batch.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2010 :  8:32:25 PM  Show Profile
ooh, that sounds nice... do you grate it into the laundry?

"Only two things that money can't buy, that's true love and homegrown tomatoes."
- Guy Clark

"The man who has planted a garden feels he has done something for the good of the world."
- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  06:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
In it's bar form it's great as a stain treatment or you can grate it and put it in the homemade laundry soap recipe (Washing Soda, Bakingsoda, Soap, and borax).

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  08:14:08 AM  Show Profile
I would be interested in you sending me some, Alee, or even just sending a recipe for it... Let me know how you'd like to make the transaction. Do you have any good recommendations on where to buy Castile soap at a good price? I just can't seem to find it here at a decent price, it's cheaper to buy detergent at the store (but all the other ingredients, washing soda, baking soda, and borax are cheap... go figure).

- Guy Clark

- Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  08:30:52 AM  Show Profile
Put your vinegar 1/4 -1/2 cup in a Downey softener ball (downey.com, if you cannot find them in the stores, they usually run around $2.oo each)drop it in at the beginning of the wash cycle and it will dispense during the rinse cycle. Snap those clothes hard as you hand them up, it helps to straighten them, and remove any lint. Also, if you don't enough clothes line, hang some of your shirts, nghtgowns and dresses on clothes hangers and use tree branches.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2010 :  09:57:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Elixabeth- Send me an email through the forum and we can chat about getting you some soap. I try to keep my laundry bar soap price down so it is competitive with Fels and Zote- I know one of the reasons we all like making the homemade soap is to economical! :D I need to make a batch and I can send it to you as soon as it is done with the initial cure. But it does get better the longer you let it set and cure. Let me know. It comes as an ivory/white color unless you want me to add coloring for effect for your laundry? I have recently played around with the idea of adding blueing to my soap so that my whites would come out that much whiter... but I haven't done a test batch yet.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Violets November
True Blue Farmgirl

342 Posts

Violet
Exeter California
USA
342 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  05:30:13 AM  Show Profile
I just wanted to add that back when I had a clothes line, I used to think of it as yard art sometimes.
When we had company, I would purposefully hang out sheets and or table clothes because they looked so purdy!

~Violet~
Farmgirl Sister #1669

My blog, http://hiddenacre.blogspot.com/
Our Organic Jewelry, http://www.etsy.com/shop/GaelicForge
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Hi

I have never owned a dryer so have always dried my clothes on a line and despite having numerous animals have never had this problem either so I can't be much help - but I never use any form of softener so maybe that's it.

I have heard - but I've no idea how true it is that most of the lint collected in a dryer is caused by the friction of the motion of your clothes whilst in the dryer - so if it is true then may be the longer you go without using a dryer the less you will see this problem.

Doesn't explain the cat/dog hairs though!!

Sue

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  07:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Oddly enough, I save the lint from my dryer to use when I make paper. I especially love the lint I get from denim and bathtowels. It helps strengthen the paper and gives it a nice soft color.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  3:42:10 PM  Show Profile
All the above suggestions are great! The only thing that I do differently is putting the washed clothes into the dryer for a few minutes BEFORE hanging them outside. It takes off most the lint, hair, etc. and still gives you that wonderful fresh outside smell. I try to wait to do laundry on a windy day as that takes some of the stiffness out. Some of the stiffness comes from soap residue which the vinegar in the rinse or a second rinse can help with.

It doesn't gt much better than climbing into bed and putting ones head down on a freshly ironed sunny lined dried pillow case!!!!!!

Blessed be,*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2010 :  5:07:22 PM  Show Profile
I tumble my loads for 3 minutes in the dryer, then hang them out.
Gets rid of all the lint/fur and wrinkles! Anybody have tips for
keeping birds from hanging on the line and pooing on the clean clothes?
I've even found a chicken on my line a few times! LOL

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  1:23:31 PM  Show Profile
I don't know about birds. I've never had that problem, even when I was a kid the birds just didn't come near the clothes line. Might it be the fact that we always hang the clothes line around trees and not poles? Maybe they just don't need the line when it is under trees. Try a fake owl.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic line drying Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page