Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 4 Sale By Owner Or Realtor?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic 4 Sale By Owner Or Realtor? Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:01:33 AM  Show Profile
My hubby and I have been talking about selling and moving closer to town. Do ya'll have any interesting stories about selling yourself or going with a realtor? We have always gone with realtors. I don't think we are smart enough for a do-it-ourselves sale. Especially something this big. So any advice would be appreciated since it's been 6 years since we have moved.

I just went to a friend's house and as I was leaving I saw a for sale sign right across the road. I turned in the driveway and saw a cute little old house. But what got me pulled in were the 2 old barns and a store looking building with a garage attached. But 2 barns!!! I love old barns. SO I called the number on the sign. She said there's 1 1/2 acres. Fenced on 2 sides. Perfect places for goats, cows and chickens. The one smaller barn was an old chicken house. It's perfect! And the other barn was bigger. Just one main area that could have lots of stalls added. Lots of shade trees all over. Huge yard. The house would need lots of work. Like painting. Nothing too major. So while I'm there a truck pulled up and it's the BIL of the lady that's selling. He let me go in the house! What luck. ANyway, I love it. And it's only $79,900.00! This sounds like it should have been put in the farm section. Sorry.

Anyway, really just meant to ask about the 2 ways to sell.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:20:31 AM  Show Profile
I have had absolutely no experience, but it seems that you will get more exposure for selling your house by using a realtor, especially since you found one that you are interested in.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:34:00 AM  Show Profile
The one for sale sounds perfect!

I have no experience either, but there are more websites now for people doing FSBO. Soemthing to check out.

Farmgirl #1947
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:42:41 AM  Show Profile
More exposure for your home, more protection as a seller regarding any disclosures. Find a realtor who "gets" you and you won't regret it. They also run interference for weirdo buyers who just ask too darn much.

Working for a real estate attorney, I see it all, Kris!!!

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vegetarian farmer
True Blue Farmgirl

249 Posts

Jane
Freedom pa
USA
249 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:53:33 AM  Show Profile
I worked in real estate for years, but have been out of it for sometime. I would say definately go with a realtor. Here is why. They can give you exposure you never could get yourself, even if you list every possible place you could. Plus if you list yourself you pay for all those advertising fees yourself. With a realtor those ad fees come out of the commission so if it doesn't sell for years no extra fees for you. A realtor can make sure you are protected from anything that goes wrong in the sale. They know just what forms you need to keep someone from coming after you a year after the sale to sue you for something not disclosed, and it happens quite often. Lead paint, radon, all these things need forms filled out exactly correct of you can have a big problem. Some realty companies buy your house if they can not sell it after a certain time frame. They can qualify buyers for the loan so you know if that person who is 'interested' really has the ability to buy or is just wasting your time. They offer some protection when bringing people into your home, they have all their info before they show them anything. You would need to let people in off the street and that is dangerous. They are worth the 6% commission. My BIL tried to sell his house for 4 years on his own. I keep telling him to go with a realtor but he didn't want to pay the commission. He moved into his new house and was paying 2 mortgages and finally went with a realtor. She sold it in one month to someone who was from another state and needed a place quick. That sale never would have taken place if he kept trying to sell it on his own. And think of all the extra mortgage payments he made in 4 years he could have been out of. When I sold my own home I went with a realtor because I had not had my license for a while and laws change all the time. It is worth the piece of mind and your time.
Jane

http://hardworkhomestead.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  11:59:51 AM  Show Profile
If you want to sell it faster I'd go with a realtor, they take care of the advertising, the showing, etc and they also know the ins and outs of selling a home.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  2:12:59 PM  Show Profile
First of all I have to say wow! I didn't have the slightest inkling you were looking to move!! I don't know why I am so surprised! I do agree with the girls though. I would for sure go with a realtor. One you really like and trust. I know several and they are really great. They work hard and do everything they can to sell your home. The protection the other girls are talking about is the biggest thing in my opinion. They know all the ins and outs and what works best. Well, good luck and the place you looked at sounds really nice, closer to town but perfect for you and your critters! Who knows what else might be just waiting for you to see! Be sure and keep us posted!

Good luck and have fun!
MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

southerncrossgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

631 Posts

Gena
Harmony NC
USA
631 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  4:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Please go with a REALTOR. There are plenty weirdos out there. Your Hubby is gone so much, you don't want to be home alone with strangers popping in to look. Trust me, if they see a sign, they will come with no notice.
Hey, wait a minute, that is what you did!!! LOL!! Good thing you aren't a "weirdo"!
Hugs,
Gena

"A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes"==Cinderella
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  4:54:20 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the good advice. I do know a really good realtor that found us this place. I told him what I wanted and he found this. It is just SO far away from everything. I have to plan a day trip just to go to town. I love it here but hug=bby wants back closer to town. I still want land. Because I will still have my animals and gardens. It really doesn't matter to him where we live because he basically live in his truck all over the country. He just wants to be closer to our church again.

I will be calling Randy the realtor to get him out here and tell us what we need to do to get this place ready to sell. He will not recognize it at all. It was abandoned when he showed it to me. We bounced on the living room floor! Quite a different place now. I just don't want to move in this heat. I know it might take awhile to sell anyway.

Thanks again, ya'll. I knew I could get the right answer here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  6:27:34 PM  Show Profile
How far is the house you saw for sale from where you are now? And how close is the house you saw to town?
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Aug 05 2010 :  8:14:59 PM  Show Profile
Gena, that's just too funny. Yep, I did just stop as soon as I saw the house. And the guy came to see what I was doing. He was really nice and very much older. A true gentleman.

Deborah, it's probably about 10-12 miles from here going north. And it's right outside Chickamauga. And just a few miles to Lafayette and Ft. O and Flintstone where our church is. Anything is closer than here really. And 10 miles is a big thing. And closer to Chattanooga where I go at least once a week.

Anyway, I just fell in love with the barns. I am a barn person. I love all barns. I drool over barns. But there might be something even closer than that with barns and maybe a little more land. But it was so neat and the price is fantastic.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  7:14:32 PM  Show Profile
wow Kris it sounds wonderful! Good luck with selling the one you have now! But I'm with you on the moving - don't like it!
Going to e-mail you in the morning!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  2:35:42 PM  Show Profile
We used a realtor when we sold our house. I liked that I didn't have to deal with any of the paperwork. The extra money would have been nice but they did the negotiating and all that stuff. Good luck!!!
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic 4 Sale By Owner Or Realtor? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page