Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2010 :  07:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Being frugal allowed us to put two boys through college without me having to go to work, buy 40 acres of recreational land and a small cabin on a lake(a Minnesotans dream). When we left Mn for Wa we gave the recrational land to our son, sold the cabin for a nice profit then buy a cabin and recreational property here-- oh and purchase this house without a mortgage. I am still frugal but can splurge now and then. Still go to thrift stores, still mainly buy things on sale etc. Our joke is if you can't buy it in the small town we live in you don't need it: )Years ago when we bought the recreational land we paid $50 a month for it BUT then most people spent that on going to restaurants, movies etc. For all of you are frugal and thrifty my hat is off to you. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  11:24:21 PM  Show Profile
I am enjoying the thrifty comments. I too am thrifty. My cloths all come from the thrist stores, shoes from clearnace racks, seconds hand furniture and kitchen items. Scraps go into compost pile, i create garden art out of found metal pieces and odd vases and dishes. Why spend allot when you don't have to? I also bake everything from scratch, cook from scratch,give aay and receive on freecycle.org. Keep those thrifty ideas coming. Enjoy reading them.

Appreciate the little things, for they are not really that little.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  06:50:27 AM  Show Profile
I decided to kick the flavored coffee creamer habit. I really like coffee a'lait. You can take the girl out of New Orleans, etc...I tried half and half with a can of condensed milk and a dash of vanilla. Buzzed the whole thing up in the blender and now I really know what is in the stuff I am drinking. It does taste different but thats ok by me.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  07:56:48 AM  Show Profile
I always have to chuckle when I hear Freecyle mentioned. This is a very poor county and here people are usually ask for stuff not giving it away. One time though there was a post for a bottle of "Colon Clense unopened" I passed : ) JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  10:45:14 AM  Show Profile
JoAnn, had a good laugh over the colon cleanse on Freecycle.

Cherime's experimentation with making her own flavored coffee made me think of some of our own attempts, some turned out good and well, others not so good. But we found we could make our own pizza, leaner and just as tasty and way cheaper. We all pitch in and do our part so its a kind of fun family thing. I make the dough, let it rise, DH rolls it out since he is more particular about the thickness of the crust, etc. Daughter chops veggies, prepares toppings while I make up the sauce. Daughter and hubby design the pizzas. We all eat them! Its quick, fun and great family time. Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  3:10:06 PM  Show Profile
Love that Judy!
We make our own pizza too, the kids think it's great,
they "decorate" their own. I make the pizza dough ahead
of time in our bread machine, then keep it in the fridge.
Got the bread machine at a thrift store for $3.00!
Downloaded the directions for it online for free! (they were not with
the machine when I bought it)
Also, if you add a little beef bouillon (or broth) to
spaghetti sauce, it tastes just like canned ravioli sauce!
I dump cooked pasta into this and the kids scarf it right up.
If you add the beef boullion & oregano to jarred spaghetti sauce,
VOILA! Instant pizza sauce! Works great!

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." -Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  9:07:36 PM  Show Profile
I went to an auction last month near Torch, Ohio. Stood in 94 degree heat and 1000% humidity for most of the day. Here's what I got for my efforts....

2 - 26 yard bolts of "cheater" fabric panels(1 purples and pinks & 1 pastel Indian print)
200 spools of white thread
500 felt squares in all colors
100 yards of waistband elastic - 50 white & 50 black
50 yards of multicolored lace trim
100 = 12 x 12 beige cotton squares serged all the way around and 200 12 x 12 lace panels &
1000 yards of 2 inch wide white muslin fabric rolled on a spool.

all of this for $36.00.....that's right...$36.00....

just thought I'd brag for a minute or two...lol
I LOVE AUCTIONS!

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  06:41:56 AM  Show Profile
Elizabeth, I'll have to try making the ravioli sauce,... sounds easy. Another great idea!

Debbie, Wow! Congratulations! I guess that was worth standing in the heat.

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

Simply Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

163 Posts

WI
USA
163 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  10:49:31 AM  Show Profile
I make microwave popcorn in a brown paper lunch bag instead of purching microwave popcorn.

I double bag brown paper lunch bags, use about 1/4 cup popcorn 2 tablespoons oil. Fold the top of the bag over two or three times place the bag on a small sauce plate to keep the microwave glass plate clean and hit the popcorn button on the microwave.

Works great for me.

Everything has it's time.
Go to Top of Page

MInwife
Farmgirl in Training

42 Posts

LEA
OXFORD NC
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2010 :  5:18:57 PM  Show Profile
Dh was laid off in Jan and thankfully we had been frugal the last 22 years so it didn't hit us as hard. We had followed Dave Ramsey a few years back so we had learned what we actually needed to live on and what we didn't. We even did away from with our dryer a few years back and cut our electric bill by 75.00 a month when all 4 boys were at home. We have 2 large drying racks for inside when it rains or snows and a large pulley type clothesline bought from Lehman's

We have a huge garden, heat with wood, cook from scratch, shop at thrift stores . One thing I do about clothing. I love some of the looks at, for example, Coldwater Creek. Way too expensive for our budget. so I write down the items and colors to make the ensemble and shop thrifts. My outfits look very up to date at a fraction of the cost.

Lea

www.theendoftheroad.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

SusanScarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

317 Posts

317 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  1:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Lea - I just had to comment off topic -- I actually know where Oxford is ! I loved in Henderson for a couple of years in the early 1980s. I worked at Max Factor there in Oxford. Wow - it is truly a small world.
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  11:39:17 AM  Show Profile
Good for you Cherime! That flavored coffee creamer is hydrogenated fats with artificial flavors. I just can't force myself to drink it. I would rather have half and half than fake stuff.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

MasterGardener
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

Chandra
Louisiana
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:15:03 PM  Show Profile  Send MasterGardener a Yahoo! Message
I started a project that requires linen, and if you've priced it in stores, it's expensive and I didn't want to pay that much money for a practice piece, so...@ goodwill, there are loads of linen dresses, flax colored, or any and all the colors of the rainbow...and that's where I found the linen for my project. Some of the pieces are 2X or 3X and that makes for a wonderful piece of fabric. Yes, that means I have to spend some time with my seam ripper and scissors, but I find that sort of calming/therapeutic and I'm not having to justify an unnecessary expense, especially for a "prototype" where I may have to make changes and experiment till I get the results I want...

Say to them, may the Lord bless you and protect you, May the Lord smile upon you and be gracious to you. May the Lord show you His favor and give you His peace. (Numbers 6:23-26)

.• ´¨¨)) -:¦:-¸.•´ .•´¨¨))
((¸¸.•´ ..• -:¦:- -:¦:- Chandra
-:¦:- ((¸¸.•´Farmgirl Sister #64

Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2010 :  12:38:10 PM  Show Profile
When I first posted this topic, I didn't expect such a response. I love all the different ideas. Every time I visit MJ Farmgirl Connection, I reread all your posts and it gives me a wonderful boost. Thank you so much!

Liz...I try very hard to live by Proverbs 31:10-31...I even wanted to start a Proverbs 31 Club...what a hoot.

Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2010 :  5:36:12 PM  Show Profile
Last year I completely stopped using paper plates, I got some beautiful little glass plates from the goodwill for snacks/desserts & sandwiches and have not used a paper plate since. It's a pleasure to eat from these pretty little plates. I noticed how I used wads of toilet paper needlessly, just plain wasteful, so I watch how much I use, and cut way down on paper towel usage, hoping to cut it out completely but with a two year old grandson I cheat and use some. I recycle all paper, plastic, glass, & metal. I pay a lot of my bills online to cut down on mailings, and put a stop to unnecessary catalogs/mailings. I refused to buy subscriptions to magazines for years until my niece was selling some for school so I ordered some to help her out, now I have stacks of magazines, our local thrift stores have huge selections of current mags really cheap. I use to get tons of "offers" in the mail with postage free envelopes, I got sick of opening that stuff every day, mosty credit card companies, I started placing all the materials they sent me back into their prepaid envelope with a message written in bold red marker stating "I'm not interested in your offers, TAKE ME OFF YOUR MAILING LIST PRONTO" !!! You wouldn't believe how much less wasteful mail I get now. So in short I've been trying to find ways to be less wasteful with paper products but I pledge to do even more and push myself further to find ways to cut.
Go to Top of Page

Cherime
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Cherime
Wasilla Alaska
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  08:31:05 AM  Show Profile
If you have a septic system the thing to remember about toilet paper is that is clogs them up and can actually ruin one. I do not allow anyone to put paper down my septic. It is old and needs to be treated with kid gloves.

CMF
Go to Top of Page

aurelie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

aurelie
vermilion ohio
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  6:00:14 PM  Show Profile
I found three cotten sheets at the thrift store still in the packages and bought them each for a dollar. I used them for fabric for new kitchen curtins and a new table cloth. The third one I use to make a new kimono robe for myself...floor length and sewed some trim on the lapel that I had been saving from a antique dresser scarf that the center had disappeared from. I wear it around the house and after a shower...feels great and looks good too.
Go to Top of Page

aurelie
Farmgirl at Heart

7 Posts

aurelie
vermilion ohio
USA
7 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2010 :  6:15:36 PM  Show Profile
Debbie in south eastern ohio- I am glad you mentioned Lehmans in Kidron Ohio. I go there a couple of times a year and although they are not cheap, they aid on thriftyness by the products they sell. There is also an Amish store on route 38 before you get into walnut creek that does not have a sign on it but sells many items for the Amish people cheeper than anywhere else. It does not have a name on it but it is a small white building without electricity sitting beside an Amish Home. I have a friend in Amish country and there are many stores there that are practical and aid in thrifty living.
Go to Top of Page

stansmom
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

DEB
CLAREMONT NH
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2010 :  5:34:56 PM  Show Profile
I DRY OUT MY LAUNDRY AS MUCH AS I CAN. SURE SMELLS FRESHER AND HAS CUT DOWN THE ELECTRIC BILL. I DO SHOP THRIFT STORES BECAUSE I VE LOST WEIGHT BUT IVE FOUND GREAT BUYS FOR MYSELF AND FAMILY. ALSO THERE IS A WEB SITE THROUGHOUT THE STATES THAT LETS PEOPLE POST THINGS THEY DONT NO LONGER NEED BUT SOMEONE ELSE COULD USE AND ALL IS FREE. IT HELPS CUTDOWN ON FILLING LANDFILLS AND HELPS OUT EVERYONE. STANSMOM
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2010 :  7:27:52 PM  Show Profile
Aurelie...where is Vermillion, Ohio? I have ancestors whose last name was Vermillion...interesting huh?

Debbie

Go to Top of Page

neeter302
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Anita
Hanover Indiana
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2010 :  1:24:04 PM  Show Profile
My sister has a consignment shop and when items in her shop don't sell even after being marked down to 50 cents she bundles it up and donates some to thrift stores and churches. The stuff that's too stained or damaged to donate ends up in a rag bag for our family business where we use a lot of rags. Now I've started to "cherry pick" the rags for fabric scrap, some of it is very good quality cotton, some may just have a missing button or a stain that prevents it from being donation worthy, but otherwise good fabric. I'm even considering doing a crochet rug or some other project with the scraps. I have to be careful though, I just may end up with a huge rag pile and my husband asking "What are you going to do with all that?" :LOL: !
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  09:09:57 AM  Show Profile
I love this Forum,,,soo many thoughts on thriftynesss, what can I do with calenders?

Farmgirl Sister #368
~~~**Terri**~~~

http://thecontentedwoman.blogspot.com
Life is too short, is just a vapor, Live it like you wont have another minute....because you may not!!!
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

2319 Posts

Julie
Medina ND
USA
2319 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  1:48:20 PM  Show Profile
Check the latest issue Mary Janes Farm, it had some beautiful envelopes made out of calender pages. I'm saving all mine now for envelopes for handmade cards. If you need to mail them, just put a label on them with the address.

Julie

With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts.
Go to Top of Page

coloquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Susan
Co
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2010 :  7:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Send coloquilter a Yahoo! Message
Weren't those envelopes beatuiful?? I am on the watch for old calendars now.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

misspittypat
True Blue Farmgirl

102 Posts

lila
osceola mo
USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2010 :  5:33:27 PM  Show Profile
calendars make great pages in scrap books; or start a diary with homemade calendar pages; i have decoupage majolein bastin pages on serving trays and on my garden cupboard which i purchased at an auction for $2. that cupboard has been used for fabric; pantry items; in a bathroom; in the garage for hardware and now my garden stuff. hEY its hard to think outside the box! last night at the auction they sold a glass fronted video cabinet used for video games like at Wal-marts for $5 after it sold of course I thought this could be revamped into a free standing greenhouse. oh well.

lila
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Frugality & Thriftyness Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page