Author Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Recycling Fundraiser Next Topic  

HollyG
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

Holly
Hamburg Arkansas
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2011 :  1:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Click to see HollyG's MSN Messenger address
Good Afternoon, Farmgirls!

I just made a huge pot of chili to enjoy tonight and as I was folding my zip-loc bag to recycle, I though of you all. My school has recently partnered with Terracycle.net to recycle plastics and other goods. We save zip-loc brand bags and containers, Elmer's glue, Huggies brand packages, Capri-sun drink pouches, Scotch tape dispensers, and cell-phones. Their site has a HUGE list of things to recycle. Some of the brigades aren't open now, like the Kashi, but they do come open from time to time.

It's pretty simple. You save the items, and ship them back with a pre-paid shipping label printed online. (The one draw-back is you must pay a pick-up fee if you don't have a UPS store handy. My local fee is $4.00 per box.) They pay about .02 for each bag, drink pouch, etc. We save our paper boxes from school, stuff them full and mail. It's helping teach our kids good habits and we're making a little cash on the side.

This may be a bit too big of a chore for a single family, but it may be great for your farmgirl chapter to start, or even local church or school. They also sell items made from these recycled materials - I'm dying to check into their fence posts. I know many of us are trying to cut back on our consumption of plastics and other items, but sometimes it's just inevitable. At least, this is a good way to dispose of them properly and receive a little reward at the same time.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2011 :  05:00:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by HollyG

Good Afternoon, Farmgirls!

I just made a huge pot of chili to enjoy tonight and as I was folding my zip-loc bag to recycle, I though of you all. My school has recently partnered with Terracycle.net to recycle plastics and other goods. We save zip-loc brand bags and containers, Elmer's glue, Huggies brand packages, Capri-sun drink pouches, Scotch tape dispensers, and cell-phones. Their site has a HUGE list of things to recycle. Some of the brigades aren't open now, like the Kashi, but they do come open from time to time.

It's pretty simple. You save the items, and ship them back with a pre-paid shipping label printed online. (The one draw-back is you must pay a pick-up fee if you don't have a UPS store handy. My local fee is $4.00 per box.) They pay about .02 for each bag, drink pouch, etc. We save our paper boxes from school, stuff them full and mail. It's helping teach our kids good habits and we're making a little cash on the side.

This may be a bit too big of a chore for a single family, but it may be great for your farmgirl chapter to start, or even local church or school. They also sell items made from these recycled materials - I'm dying to check into their fence posts. I know many of us are trying to cut back on our consumption of plastics and other items, but sometimes it's just inevitable. At least, this is a good way to dispose of them properly and receive a little reward at the same time.

HollyG
Farmgirl #2513
www.mydeepwoodslife.com

We have saved the capri drink pouches and mailed them into Terracycle for years. You used to be able to send them in 100 at a time, but now it's like 500. We don't go through that many.

Farmgirl #800
http://momzonetakingtimeformom.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic Recycling Fundraiser Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page