Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2010 :  04:26:05 AM  Show Profile
That is such great news, Anna! In school AND really enjoying it! I'm so happy and relieved. Homeschool is wonderful, and I'm sure in her heart their Mom probably really did have the best of intentions, but it's not for everyone. Please don't let her see this as a failure - her change of heart is a sign of love and commitment to her children's welfare. Besides, there are so many ways she can continue to contribute to her children's education outside of public school - simple things like baking cookies, taking in an open air concert in the park, or walking through the woods and simply taking note of all the cool things going on in the nature all around you. These are all wonderful experiences parents can share with their children! I would encourage her to take heart - now she can supplement their school time with other fun and educational things - and in the process will be creating wonderful memories! They will adore her for it! :)

She may not recognize it at this point in her life, but you and your husband are such a blessing to her! My goodness - can you imagine coming from such a harsh, cruel family? What mountains she must have to overcome! I'm so thankful she has you. Her struggles would be so much more difficult if she didn't have your love, support and encouragement. I am sure it's very difficult for you at times, but hang in there. Flowers will wither in scorching sun, however they flourish in gentle, radiant light! YOU are that light! :)

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Aug 18 2010 04:40:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2010 :  03:48:09 AM  Show Profile
Thank you for the beautiful words of happiness and encouragement!

My own mother has echoed your sentiments almost to a T....we are to be the light. And that we shall.

Before school has started, the mom had said that part of the problem was not being able to let her kids go. She comes from a family whose father was sexually abusive, (he has since passed about a year ago) so our friend's guard is up all the time. I can understand, but certainly not to deny a child and his/her future.

Poor thing
Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2010 :  10:31:39 AM  Show Profile
I hope he's doing better these days! After reading all these posts...Goodness. I agree with some earlier posts, about manners being taught in your home. As the mother of 3 boys this is a big thing to me. I'm not a short order cook, a butler, a buss boy or a maid. All the neighborhood boys figure this out after a few visits to our home. There are clean up songs to help with making that more fun, I make dishes and sweeping a game.

The reading...A tip given to me by a teacher of my oldest son-Let them find a subject they are interested in (and this may change a few times), and then guide their choices to books of their reading level. It's very frustrating and disheartening to pick out a book that looks so cool, only to open it and feel overwhelmed and beaten before you start. These days, instead of Dick and Jane, there are Jack and Annie, who go on all sorts of adventures and do neat things. They are part of the Magic Tree House series. My middle boy was introduced to them in 1st grade, and loves loves loves them. There is also a series of I can Read books, on all sorts of subjects (including cartoon movies, which help grab their attention) that are structured on levels. 1 being beginning words, 2 reading with help, etc. These may help boost his confidence, when he can master one level (2 perhaps) and move on to the next level.
My oldest boy (9 this year) struggled for 2 years with reading, even needing extra help in school. He has built up his confidence (and perhaps it finally "clicked" for him) and is reading away now. Another suggestion by the school is 30 minutes of reading time a night. It really helps. Weather it's being read too, or reading on their own.

You all will be in my prayers!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  03:49:40 AM  Show Profile
Thanks very much!

After 2 weeks of school and figuring out that a routine now has to be established (as in earlier to bed and remembering homework) both kids are doing well.....it's still the mom who needs the boot to the head to help her kids "remember" this stuff!

They each came back up for a long weekend visit and spent the night last night, but sadly arrived too late for much playing or reading. Good news is, hubby will be taking older brother to church this a.m.....and this is yet another subject yet to be discussed some other day.

But all in all the happy family is doing ok. It will be awhile before they can come back to visit again, so in the meantime I'll be searching out some of those books and very much want to sit and be read to when the kids return
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2010 :  10:29:39 PM  Show Profile
I think homeschooling is a dangerous trend. Done right, it's a great thing...but it's HARD to do it right! Some people purchase a curriculum off the internet made up of a series of workbooks. They put the kid at the kitchen table with a stack of workbooks, and once he's completed a page from each subject, he gets to run off and watch t.v. for the rest of the day. Parents who want to homeschool their kids have to be totally prepared for the amount of work and tons of planning that goes into giving their kids a thorough education. Not only that, but you have to be really disciplined to keep a routine and regular schedule. And it requires a lot of one-on-one time with your kid...you can't count on gardening, working on hobbies, cleaning the house, etc. while the kid works alone and unsupervised. Regular schools have special services to help children with special needs excel, and parents with special needs kids need to adjust their homeschooling curriculum accordingly. Good teachers in schools don't rely only on textbooks and dittos, and good homeschooling parents shouldn't, either.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  03:38:17 AM  Show Profile
A-men to that! And I had always assumed that was the main reason why homeschooling was supposed to be so good was so that it can be made to fit the individual and perhaps actually TEACH and not teach for taking an end of grade teast at the close of the school year.

Recently I became super disillusioned when a friend decided to enlist. I may have raised a question about this in another post. Anyway, due to this person's home schooling, the military wouldn't take him HUH!?

But I digress!

Good news is....and I'm really excited for our little god-son.....next time he and his family visit, he said he WILL be reading and is expecting his pie! He is in fact reading the newer versions of the Dick and Jane books now, so in a few months I'll be super interested to see how he has progressed.

And I have also decided to give the boy and his sister REAL suitcases for Christmas for when they visit. The mom totally forgot to pack the basics again and left the boy's sunday shirt at home. So I plan to buy toothbrush, toothpaste, ditty bag to put it all in, a nice new clean bag of fun undies, perhaps a packable travel pillow and some other travl essentials that maybe the mom will get a clue about!

Good husband of mine did their own little church service Sunday morning when they had to stay home due to no decent clothes, so hubby gets extra bonus points!

We'll salvage this poor kid yet!
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  11:38:23 AM  Show Profile
Anna, that's a really good idea. When I was a little girl I spent a lot of time at my grandparent's house, and they gave me a box (I think it was some sort of fruit box, but it was about the size of a big file box and had a hinged lid on it) where I kept my personal hygiene items that were just for use at Granny's house, along with clean undies, change of clothes and a spare gown, etc. I always had what I needed and never had to worry about forgetting stuff at home. Plus, I felt like I had a foothold there, like I was welcome and it was sort of my home-away-from-home. And, incidentally, it made a great spot to put stuff that I didn't want my sister finding, since she never came to Granny's!

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

solilly
True Blue Farmgirl

726 Posts

Lillian
Williamsburg Virginia
USA
726 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2010 :  12:02:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see solilly's MSN Messenger address  Send solilly a Yahoo! Message
Keep one thing in mind and it sounds like this is what is happening. Kids need love and attantion. If they cannot get it at home they look somewhere else. You may be the best thing that came into these kids lives. You do care even if your hubby cares more. Jewel and the other ladies have given you thing to think about. You may be a person to keep these kids from becoming drunks or drugy just by showing and teaching them what they need just to make it in this world. See with the party thing I would have taken the kids aside and said come with me I have something for you to eat in the kitchen. Sure you may not have been able to put a real good meal together fast but even a peanutbutter sandwich is better then chips. Keep on being a light for these kids they need you. Care with kindness and love you will win. Lilly

learning the life I always wanted.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  03:50:11 AM  Show Profile
That's what we plan to do. Even with so short a visit this time, the boy wanted to spend the night no question, while his sister wanted time w/ her little friends.

The dad is kind of turning out to be a real dead beat...and is most likely why the mom left to begin with. We get tastes of it occasionally and it drives me crazy...but anyway If we can continue to be a part of this kid's life, then indeed, we'll be the refuge especially during the teen years when trouble is more likely to surface.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2010 :  06:17:16 AM  Show Profile
Stories like this just turn me into a crazy person. I was so careful all my life to do everything right, and no kids for me. These two bums who have trouble raising their own children seem as fertile as the Amazon forest. Where's the justice?

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  2:03:32 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
As far as the reading goes...

We've always been homeschooled. I graduated in 2006 and one of my brothers graduated last year. I always loved to read, and started reading pretty early. (My mom's not around right now, or I'd ask her how early early was..I want to say age 5.) Then when my brother got to the same point in his schooling (and the same age) he just couldn't care less about reading. I devoured anything with words, and he just didn't like it. He wasn't that great at reading for a while, and my parents were concerned. Then, when he was, I don't know...maybe 8 or 9, something got him interested in the Civil War. Oh, my. He wouldn't QUIT reading and teaching us everything he was learning, too! He just turned 18, still reads a ton, and knows a LOT more about history than anyone else in my family, just because of his own research by himself. When he was 16, he taught a high school history class.

I've heard folks say not to worry about it if some kids don't learn to read right off. Once they decided they want to read bad enough, they'll learn SO much faster, and far exceed their age/grade level in no time. My parents never went by that plan though, and we've all learned to love reading, and started reading early. We babysit a little girl who has a brother the same age as my youngest brother (9.) Her mom brought my brother some books that her son had, and my brother finished one of the books the day she brought them. She was shocked that he had read it so quickly, and her son is in public school. My 9 year old brother wrote a paper the other day that had something to do with "the infamous attack of the Confederacy" and my mom and I just looked at each and laughed. He couldn't understand why the word "infamous" wasn't in his little dictionary he was using, and Mom told him it was because boys his age didn't usually didn't use words like that!

Homeschooling can be done well, but you do have be dedicated to teaching every moment of every day. Learning doesn't stop when you graduate, and parents have the ability to instill into their children a love for learning that will never be satisfied! It's an incredible job!

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com

Direct link to my blog: http://custerfamilyfarm.com/blog1/index.php?blog=3
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  2:33:22 PM  Show Profile
Kayla, you're exactly right. You have to be "dedicated to teaching every moment of every day." And you have to look for teaching opportunities everywhere...not just in workbooks and dittoed sheets from a curriculum company.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2010 :  03:37:36 AM  Show Profile
I whole hearidly agree about those teaching moments.............pity the mom was too involved w/ her exercise classes and keeping up appearances at various social functions

That's the awesome thing about farm life........there's always something going on and worth learning, even in winter!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  03:25:43 AM  Show Profile
Found out yesterday that the boy is now being tutored for his reading. GOOD! He says he still can't read. I sure hope he isn't being rushed. Some of it may be a confidence thing too a little bit

Makes me mad at the mom every time.

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  07:30:57 AM  Show Profile
And it could be a stalling tactic. My middle boy insisted he couldn't read. We worked with Cody, but he always insisted he couldn't get it. At the last parent teacher conference of the year his teacher says he's the best reader of the class! We come home and let him know his teacher "ratted him out" and we called his bluff. Sat down and he read an entire Dr. Suess book to us.

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2010 :  11:48:58 AM  Show Profile
That kinds of reminds me a of a Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion) monolog where he talks about how he wasn't a good reader in grade school, and one day his teacher told him what a nice voice he had, and that she was sorry she didn't get to hear him speak more often. So she asked him to stay in at recess and after school to read out loud to her while she marked papers, she enjoyed his voice so much.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Family Matters: Previous Topic illiterate 8 year old Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page