Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  06:49:00 AM  Show Profile
Such a shame, especially as there are very good, tried-and-true antibiotics for bladder infections. Sometimes the egos of vets can be infuriating. (I can say that, I worked for years as a vet tech.) Don't get me wrong, they are great in an emergency, but sometimes the need to be right is counter to the welfare of the animal. I'm so glad she recovered, it's obvious she's in a very good place with you

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  08:39:21 AM  Show Profile
Kathy Your "Baby Girl" is beautiful!!!! I have two male yellow labs, Luke and Clay and I call them my "little boys" at 100 pounds each calling them little is a stretch. LOL They own us and operate us and I love it. Labs are the best!!!
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  10:20:26 AM  Show Profile
That's the truth! My fur baby owns and operates me too. I've never seen a more spoiled rotten dog.

Thank Goodness she's almost back to normal (with the help of Benadryl) and will be able to enjoy her 12th Birthday party that my boys are giving her next week. I just bought her a new bed, and I'm going to order her a doggie cake, and buy her some holistic treats. I have the cutest pink birthday party hats with doggie paws all over them and they say Let's Pawty. I plan on cooking her her own special dinner that night. All that's left to do is getting her some pink balloons. Tell me this dog's not spoiled :)

Edited by - katalind on Sep 08 2010 10:32:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

babysmama
True Blue Farmgirl

931 Posts

Elizabeth
Iowa
931 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  11:27:17 AM  Show Profile
I'd be furious at my vet, only because of the fact that you asked him/her for a different prescription and they said no!!
I had a vet who had to amputate the back leg of our cat after she got stuck in a trap. The incision opened up three times and she had to be put to sleep three times to get it re-sticched. I kept telling the vet that the bone was too long and the skin couldn't stretch that far but she kept telling me that the cat was chewing at the stitches, though I knew she wasn't. The fourth time it happened she cut the bone shorter and sewed the leg back up and it was fine. Poor kitty had to go through all that for nothing. The vet never apologized and of course I was charged for each procedure.
I switched vets soon after. Our new vet is an older gentlemen who listens to me. If our cat gets a UTI (which she often does) he lets me pick up the medicine without seeing her. When the animals need shots he charges just for the shot...not for a whole office visit. It is like night and day between the two. I now drive 25 miles to the vet just because he is so good. You may want to consider finding one you can work with and trust...they are out there!
-Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  12:34:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy you aren't the only one that does doggies birthday parties. The boys (Luke and Clay) get an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins every year, they love it. They are litter mates so they have the same birthday so we just do one cake. Talk about spoiled we traded in my Jag for a SUV so they would be more comfortable in the car and then we bought a 5th wheel trailer so they can travel with us.

Hope your baby continues to get better and has a very happy birthday!!!
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:08:34 PM  Show Profile
It's a shame there aren't many good vets anymore, and by that I mean one's who do their job because they truly love animals, and not to see how much money they can charge you. I'm very unhappy with my vet. It seems like every time I go I feel like I've been raped by the time I leave and their prices increase with almost every visit. I've been checking around and there the cheapest ones near my home. I wish I could find a old school type vet around here, I'd drive her to where ever I had to, but it seems they don't exist anymore here where I live.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  1:11:36 PM  Show Profile
I never thought about a ice cream cake, I bet she'd like that. It's still nearly 100 degrees here, so ice cream sounds good.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  5:41:47 PM  Show Profile
The boys love ice cream, and get a ice cream come from McDonalds after a vet visit. Did I say they are spoiled. LOL Clay had most of his tongue removed last year due to cancer so it's a little harder for him to eat ice cream now but being well motivated by food he does manage.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2010 :  8:31:54 PM  Show Profile
Your furkid is so sweet!

for photo help:
In Welcome Wagon threads.. you will find "Photo Posting Instructions"
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6291

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Karrieann on Sep 08 2010 8:34:55 PM
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  12:42:31 AM  Show Profile
Thanks. Now I want some ice cream :)
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  08:14:00 AM  Show Profile
Wait for me and the boys and we'll join you for some. LOL
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

textilelover
True Blue Farmgirl

557 Posts

Dianne
Middletown NY
USA
557 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  2:00:55 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, Your Baby (Buckshot) reminds me of my Annie (rescued Yellow Lab,now 12 years old). Adorable! Please keep an eye on your baby. One of my cats, Sherbert, suffers from bladder stones (not kidney stones) and the symptoms are similar. In fact, Sherbert needs surgery again, which I am scheduling tomorrow (her type of stones return despite medication, surgery and a special diet). Thank goodness for the kindness of Dr. Roeder of Roeder's Ark in Otisville, NY. Even though she cannot take my pets as patients (she is booked solid with a waiting list), she has agreed to perform Sherbert's surgery for a second time (in 5 years) for a much reduced cost. My regular vet (excellent, open 24 hours, etc.) is quite expensive so I cannot afford to have Sherbert's surgery there. There are vets in it for the love of animals and not just the money. However, you can't even blame them for wanting to repay the outrageous student loans from vet school! Dianne

Sister #749

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." --Leondardo da Vinci
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2010 :  3:47:48 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like you've found a good vet. I'm still searching, there's got to be one around her somewhere. The one's I've been taking her to paid their tuition off many years ago, unfortunately it's all about the money for them now.
I watch my baby all the time. I always check her urine and poop, and feel around on her as I massage her for any new bumps or growths (she's covered in those fatty deposits). Some say I'm overly protective (I get a lot of eye rolls), but I don't care because she's my baby girl.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2010 :  07:53:31 AM  Show Profile
The boys have those fatty deposits too, I check them all the time to see if they have changed in size or feel. When Clay was in for his oral cancer surgery they gave him a full body scan and that put my mind to rest about the fatty spots. I don't care when people say I am crazy for the way I care for the boys, "if you aren't going to treat them like family don't have them" is my reply. My kids are grown and on their own so it's full attention on the boys.
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2010 :  10:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Kathy, I don't feel you are overly protective, I think you are a concerned and responisble pet owner. But this opinion is from someone who drives over 100 miles to make sure her fur baby goes to the vet I feel genuinely cares for him. We went to this vet for many years and then the practice got sold and they let her and most of the rest of the employees go. After trying a couple of other vets, I finally did an internet search and found my favorite vet again, just in time for me to move 100 miles away. She has nursed him through a couple of bad illnesses so when he ruputered both of his ACL's I didn't hesitate to take him to her. Vet prices along with everything else have just skyrocketed the last couple of years but finding a Dr you trust and can communicate with is priceless! Hang in there, you'll know when you've found a good one, there are still some left.

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  02:55:37 AM  Show Profile
I haven't been logged in for a while now. I was busy caring for my sweet girl who passed away 4 weeks ago. I'm devastated, and still somewhat in denial. Anyone who is a dog lover knows this hurt is really bad. I know in time the hurt will lessen but I'll never be over this.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  07:07:40 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, I'm so sorry for your loss. You gave your sweet girl a wonderful life and provided the best for her. 12 years is a long haul for a Lab. There are others who live longer, but those are exceptions, and they don't always have good quality of life. She will always be in your heart, and you don't have to deny that she was a treasure to you.

(((Lots of Hugs)))

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  07:23:05 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Paula. She was a week a way from being a teenager. I am so grateful she was my dog. I held her as she passed and thanked her for being my little girl, and told her how much joy she had brought to my life, and that I will always love her. The house is so empty without her, and it's been hard on all of us adjusting.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  11:01:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathy, my heart breaks for you. I'm glad to hear you were able to be with her until the end and to tell her how much she meant to you. She gave you lots of love and you returned it to her everyday. I know you and your family will miss her the rest of your days.

{{{hugs}}}
Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2011 :  11:28:29 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Audrey. I'm grateful I was there when it happened. We think it was a stroke because it was very sudden and unexpected. I couldn't imagine her having to go through what she went through alone. Unfortunately it was far from a peaceful death, and that's what's made it hard on us. I think I could have dealt with this a little better if it was. We miss her so much, but I am somewhat comforted to know she's in a better place, whole, and free from pain, and I believe I'll see my girl again some day, that's what keeps me moving forward.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  08:10:28 AM  Show Profile
sending hugs your way. it is soooo hard when our kids are sick or we have one gone. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  08:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Kathy I am so very sorry for your loss, I know that pain and emptiness. You gave her a wonderful life and she loved you for it.
Big hugs,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  1:13:28 PM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for all your kind words. Only a true animal lover can understand this kind of pain.
Go to Top of Page

nut4fabric
True Blue Farmgirl

885 Posts

Kathy
Morgan Hill CA
USA
885 Posts

Posted - Oct 06 2011 :  2:12:18 PM  Show Profile
Kathy It's not only a pain but an emptiness or void that is so very vast. When we lost our chocolate lab 7 years ago I vowed no more dogs I can't go through this again. But the house was sooo very quiet and empty that 4 days later we went to look at yellow lab pups, brought home two as there were only two left and we just couldn't leave one behind and so we have the boys, Luke and Clay. They didn't take Bo's place or make us miss him less but they brought a new joy to our home and a diversion from the loss. We still miss Bo but I love my boys and am so thankful that I didn't stick with my never again plan. Much love to you and your family

Hugs, Kathy, Luke and Clay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic bloody urine Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page