Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 How I Make Money From Home - Ideas for You
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How I Make Money From Home - Ideas for You Next Topic
Page: of 3

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:42:44 PM  Show Profile
hi everybody, wondered if you had any marketing ideas for someone just starting out. This area is hard hit with the economy, no jobs at all. need the extra money though badly to make ends meet. I have some ideas just having troube getting started
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  8:46:20 PM  Show Profile
What are you planning to sell patricia?

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  06:00:40 AM  Show Profile
since I sew I thought I would go with my baby quilts and baby bonnets, I make doggie scarves and aprons also. kind of an eclectic grouping but..I am able to do some craft shows around the holidays but am not sure how else to market items. any ideas to share ?
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2010 :  10:12:38 AM  Show Profile
I would def try etsy. Ebay for handiwork has really changed over the last several years, its hard to get a fair price on Ebay for that sort of thing. As far as marketing, I would try blogging, posting a link to your etsy shop here, and we can help you with word of mouth. :)

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  10:00:30 AM  Show Profile
I love the different ideas everyone has shared. I sell several things being homebound due to many illnesses mainly now due to Lyme disease. I have fibro, asthma, reflux, and the list goes on.
But, I started training with a company to improve my sales on Ebay. I've learned a ton of stuff I didn't know and I've been selling on Ebay for years. The more you list the more you sell.
I sell many handmade items on etsy too. I have limited energy and can't go out doors without a mask so it kills that personal touch.lol
And, I can't take the FL heat so I stay indoors for that too.
I have a lot of old books I'm going to look into the site mentioned to see how that goes.
I make just enough from all I do to pay for my alternative medicines each month. So, that is a least a help.
One work at home company that several of my friends do and they pay $10/hr up is www.arise.com
They charge for training but it is worth the regular income.

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards, vintage organizer bags and more at www.jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
http://jeanpatch.blogspot.com
www.fullerdirect.com
id#0920150
www.watkinsonline.com/rjaramillo
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2010 :  4:23:20 PM  Show Profile
Sarah,
thanks for the info, I think I will try Etsy and some craft shows and I have even considered creating a flyer to send to be posted and Obstetrician and Pediatrician offices
Go to Top of Page

TeaPriestess
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Dionne
Duluth Georgia
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  09:32:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by katalind

Problem is doing hair is all I've done for the last 17 years and I don't have much experience doing anything else.

When I lived in NC years ago, I always got my hair done by a lady who was doing hair in her home because she was homeschooling. It was kind of neat to go to her house and get my hair done in her kitchen...reminded me of when my mom used to do my hair as a little girl. Hope you can do something like that too.

"Tea is drunk to forget the din of the world."- Tien Yiheng
Yay I'm Farmgirl Sister #1690!
Go to Top of Page

patchworkpeace
True Blue Farmgirl

478 Posts

Judy
Jackson Michigan
USA
478 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2010 :  4:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Great ideas, I've learned so much from reading everyone's comments. Thanks for sharing what you do, Kathy. I have health issues that don't lend themselves to doing much work outside the home, and this has been very informative.

God bless you!

Judy

Success is measured not by the position one reaches but by the obstacles one has to overcome to reach it. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

TJinMT
True Blue Farmgirl

211 Posts

TJ
Billings MT
USA
211 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  11:46:16 AM  Show Profile
I'm interested in Kathy's idea about selling used books from home - does anyone else have any experience with the two websites, abebooks and alibris, that she mentioned? Anyone do amazon.com? I'm trying to figure out where I can earn the most. I don't have tens of thousands of books to sell, more like a few dozen at first. Anyone have any thoughts?? Thanks!

~TJ of Green Willow Place

www.MyWesternHome.wordpress.com

"I wanna write my blog, and live my life, beneath these Western Skies..." (with apologies to Chris LeDoux! smile!)
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  8:46:01 PM  Show Profile
I love to write but I'm more of a journalist type, rather than a story telling type. I have my blog but it's more for venting and staying sane while on the road rather than telling a story.

Something people might want to think about is the Android Apps. They are open source and if you come up with a good 'un, you might make some good money. A friend of mine is trying to do a booklet thingy and see how it goes.

I have mucho libras (many books) and am checking out the above mentioned sites. I peruse old book stores all the time and find some treasures. Hmmmm....

Then, turns out, I'm a pretty good seamstress but being on the road all the time, sewing time is about non-existent. Also, have thought of pre-packaged food 'kits', but again, I'm on the road and don't have the way to do it. I have the money/means, just not the way.

Count me among the Fibro club members but for some reason, it's not bothering me much. Not sure why, just not.

For some 'venting'-type of entertainment, please read my blog, http://lostadventuresintrucking.blogspot.com . Now with pictures!!

Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  12:48:44 AM  Show Profile
I would love to do something to make some extra money right now. I just finished going to school to be a Medical Assistant and had to quit my job to do my externship. The externship meant working 40 hours a week (and sometimes 50) without getting paid, for 5 weeks. I knew I couldn't do that and work my full time job and I could't take that much time off, so... here I am now with no job, and I haven't found a Medical Assistant job yet. Problem is, there isn't anything I'm really, really good at. I cook, I can, I sew... but I don't know if I'm good enough at anything to sell it. There are too many things I want to learn to do-I don't focus on one thing to learn it, I jump around from one to another before I get really good at them! Plus, I don't have extra money to buy supplies! Argh!
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2010 :  06:04:40 AM  Show Profile
I knew I couldn't do that and work my full time job and I could't take that much time off, so... here I am now with no job, and I haven't found a Medical Assistant job yet. Problem is, there isn't anything I'm really, really good at. I cook, I can, I sew... but I don't know if I'm good enough at anything to sell it. There are too many things I want to learn to do-I don't focus on one thing to learn it, I jump around from one to another before I get really good at them! Plus, I don't have extra money to buy supplies! Argh!
[/quote]

sheri-i'm kindof in a boat similar-i work only part time but some weeks all hours-can't get a "traditional" PT to work in addition to -and can't afford to give up what i do have--- have many talents but none that seem marketable......need to focus!
congrats on your new education and sending prayers you can get the job to go with it!!!!!!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  08:51:57 AM  Show Profile
One thing I've been racking my brain about is. We own a mobile home park and storage units. We went from 100% full to about 50% in less then 2years and our payments to the bank have not gone down. I keep trying to figure out what else can a person do with storage units for income (no power to them). I don't want to have to try and find an outside job again it took me 6 years to learn to enjoy being a stay at home wife and partner and now I don't want to give that up. I have no other talents really

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2010 :  10:29:46 PM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
Yep, Fibro here too, as well as Systemic Lupus. I've been trying to find a way to work at home and quit my regular job for awhile now, but since I'm a nurse that's hard to do. It's becoming difficult to continue to work as a floor nurse anymore.

quote:
Originally posted by mommom

Hi Joy! I too have fibromyalgia. I am so thankful that you found a way to stay home and make money! You know, Fibromyalgia is a syndrome: acid reflux is a disease. Make sense to you? Take care! Susan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  07:56:57 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
bumping this up to see if there are more ideas! i just recently lost my job and need more income!

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  09:56:03 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Susan...I'm a nurse too but work from home for an insurance company - have you checked into being a case manager?

We can do no great things; only small things with great love - Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  11:48:58 AM  Show Profile
Pamela...
About your storage units...
I saw that reality show on TV where bidders bid on storage units
at an auction. Maybe you could fill some with odds & ends, things picked
up at garage/tag/estate sales, etc. and get an auctioneer to sell them off?
Bidders can only peek inside, not go in to inspect the contents.
Advertise the auctions, get lots of bidders.
Might work, that TV show is free publicity! LOL
Good luck!

TJ...
I buy books from abebooks all the time, the prices are the best.
I've bought them from amazon and ebay, too. Not sure that you'd
get the best price on abebooks, it's usually great for the buyer though. Amazon or ebay may be your best bet. Good luck! Best wishes! :)

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To prove to the opossum that it could be done!

Stacked Stone Farm www.stackedstonefarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - momdrinkstea on Jan 08 2011 09:27:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2011 :  3:53:38 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the idea about storage auctions. The sad part is we already have to auction of a couple of units a year for non-payment. Let me tell ya, it's not like on T.V. your lucky to get even half of what is owed against a unit. I am considering chickens for eggs. There are a couple of people in the area who sell and they can't keep up with the demand. I've put out feelers for an idea on another forum and since she lives on the east coast my hope is won't be an issue. That is to sell dried fruit and vegtable treats for small animals. The response has been supportive and I'll try it this summer, won't make me rich but if it helps make the car payment I'm happy

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2011 :  09:23:47 AM  Show Profile
Pamela...
I'm selling eggs and broiler chickens through a local CSA.
His farm takes the orders for a whole season for veggies, my offerings
are an add-on to his. We're selling a "share" of 18 weeks of a dozen eggs/week + 2
broiler chickens at the end of the season for $60.
Customers pay up front, and you have guaranteed sales.
You could also set up your own "CSA" with egg shares, advertising on craigslist,
they have a "farm & garden" section under the for sale listing.
Good luck! Here's hoping for your success! :)

Q: Why did the chicken cross the road? A: To prove to the opossum that it could be done!

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  07:41:07 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
i wouldnt get chickens to sell for eggs unless you are 100000000% sure you can sell the eggs. Where i am located we cant hardly give them away at $2 a dozen. Of course you would have to have egg cartons too and they are new .50¢ each unless you sell them cheaper and teh customer provide there own carton. You must also factor in the price of feed to feed the chickens. If you feed a layer pellet they tend to run between $12-$15 a bag, they eat alot if you cant free range them. I pay out way more in feed than i can sell my eggs for.

Homesteading Mom in East Texas. Raising chickens, Rabbits and goats here on my farm!
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  7:33:35 PM  Show Profile
We free-range, so use less feed, and we have a local farmer grind a mix for us - it's $12 for 80 lbs.
They get garden/bread scraps too. I have about 10 people saving cartons for me, so we get those for free,
and we're recycling! I put a printed label on the old cartons.
I agree with Brandee though, chickens are PIGS! LOL
If you're buying feed at a farm supply, the costs can add up quickly.
How many chickens have you, Brandee? What kinds?

Go to Top of Page

fudsy
True Blue Farmgirl

175 Posts

Pamela
Clark Fork Idaho
USA
175 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2011 :  9:03:12 PM  Show Profile
Chickens would be more for my own use. Our local Co-Op store is having a seminar early Feb. on poultry raising that I plan on attending. I don't think it will happen this year. DH isn't real big on the idea but I keep working him

Farmgirl Sister #1599

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  04:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I have about 80 hens right now, I have black jersey giants, barred rock, Rhode island reds, americaunas, also have a set of bb red banties. I have 50 black australorp eggs in the bator right now and just got 4 frizzles given to me..lol. I love my green eggs but those darn americaunas LOVE to hide there eggs! We free range, feed out scraps, bread and a 12% sweet feed along with hen scratch. Plus they chase the dogs away from there dog food....lol I love my chickens but would rethink the amount if i was to restart!

Go to Top of Page

homsteddinmom
True Blue Farmgirl

441 Posts

Brandee
bullard tx
USA
441 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  04:30:18 AM  Show Profile  Send homsteddinmom a Yahoo! Message
I forgot to add that i also buy my cartons used at a local small animal auction. I just bought 125 egg cartons, there were 40 18 ct and the rest were 12 ct for $10, that makes them .08¢ each. I cannot buy them new for that price and i dont have anyone that will save cartons for me as my mom sells her eggs to so she reuses hers too.

Go to Top of Page

JojoNH
True Blue Farmgirl

1984 Posts

Joanna
Dunbarton New Hampshire
USA
1984 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2011 :  05:09:12 AM  Show Profile
Just a quick thought, I sell my eggs as well ( although I have a very small flock) I have my customers save the cartons for me, then whenever I deliver their eggs, I pick up the cartons. This works great and when they are to worn or have gotten dirty, I use them as kindling for my wood stove. Also, for the folks that come to pick up their eggs, have a box for them to place their empty egg cartons in, you will be surprised how many you receive!

Joanna #566

JojoNH
http://www.etsy.com/shop/CountryCents
http://CountryCents.Blogspot.com
http://www.Eastwooddesigns.com "For all your Promotional Needs"
www.JoannasHomeStudio.com "Keeping traditions alive a stitch at a time"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How I Make Money From Home - Ideas for You Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page