Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Entrepreneurship
 How I Make Money From Home - Ideas for You
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How I Make Money From Home - Ideas for You Next Topic
Page: of 3

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  09:53:41 AM  Show Profile
Fibromyalgia caused me to have to leave my job at the hospital years ago - I had to find a way to help bring money in - I thought I would share my ideas with you.

I sell on Ebay - my ebay id is enchantedwoodcottagechic - most of the stuff I sell is curbside treasure - I tell you, once you get the knack for ebay, it becomes addictive. You will get to know what sells - for instance, vintage guitars - don't care how beat up they are, they sell- this is the second I have had on in a few weeks and they go for very good money- I know diddly about instruments and I make sure I let them know that in advance, I just take a lot of pictures. BTW most of the old toys and games for the 1960's are worth a mint. You would be surprised what is worth money, trust me on that!

I have an online used book business via abebooks.com and alibris.com Enchanted Wood Books - I have well over 2,000 books listed. I get them curbside or thrift shops or fleamarkets. The used book business is an excellent way to earn a second income. This year I will go completely legal with my business with name etc. The very first book I sold was called "Daddy was an Undertaker" I had picked it up cause it sounded strange and it was a hard to find book. The rest is history. The software for this is called Homebase and it it provided free for your listings - you are charged a monthly fee from the sites to list your books but you can sell a lot of books to make up the difference.

I have to tell you one time my husband picked up two volumes of the Memoirs of Harry Truman and I was researching the prices on abebooks.com when I noticed one of these was indeed signed by Harry Truman - I sold that book on Ebay for $376 and we only paid 20 cents for the books - most thrift shops, Goodwills etc do not check the insides of the books for signatures.

Freelance at something you do - for me it is writing - there are many writer's forums online that will tell you about jobs for freelancers. Right now I work freelance for PersonalsTrainer.com I help people who are verbally challenged (mostly men lol) put together a personal ad. I get paid any where from $5.98 to $65 per order and I get paid once a month via a check in the mail - great way to make extra money.
There are sites that will pay you to write articles on subjects you know about and have to do just a little research on. I used to write for Write for Cash and loved it - got paid via Pay Pal.

Years ago I used to take in dogs in my Doggy Camp for people going on vacation - this was good, only took a few small dogs at a time and it worked out okay for me. Now I have too many animals of my own to do this.

My husband has a shop in a local flea market where we sell furniture and other things - this is his job - other than his regular job and he loves it, he loves being around people.
If I can help anyone let me know!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  10:10:15 AM  Show Profile
Kathy
I order lots of used books, so I think you have a good sideline there for income. Sounds like you have come up with some good ideas for making money while staying home. Not to mention the fun of finding great things to sell. Do you keep a lot of your finds for yourself?
Anyway maybe you have given some of the want to be stay at home girls some good ideas.
NANCY JO
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  12:54:43 PM  Show Profile
Yep, here I sit, a want to be stay at home girl!! I really love people but they can be so stinking nasty sometimes....(people I work with treat me like an imbecile and totally leave me out of stuff) so I am really wanting to change jobs......or better yet, stay at home. BUT, I need to have an income. So you have given me some things to think about Kathy. I had to look up Fibromyalgia because I didn't know what it was......how are you feeling? Georgette

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  6:23:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kathy,

Thanks so much for posting all these great ideas! I've been feeling a little disgruntled with my Ebay sales lately...not sure if it's what I'm selling or another issue. Thanks so much for the great tips on freelance writing! I LOVE to write and am always looking for ways to make extra money doing something that I love. I will definitely check those sites out that you mentioned.

Thanks again! :)
-Joy

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  9:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Joy I just love your purses. Might have to get me one. I am so interested in working for myself and love the whole rejunking thing. I have a huge old barn door I plan on taking apart and using for many items. Keep all the great ideas coming, and everyone with ebay and etsy accounts or their own web shoppe- be sure to post it so we can find you. I love to buy from a farm girl!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

ChicChick
True Blue Farmgirl

64 Posts

Joy

64 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  07:17:44 AM  Show Profile
Hi Beth,

Thanks for the compliment~I love making purses and anything else to do with altered art or vintage finds. Aprons are my next project! :)

Vist my shop at: http://chicchickbiz.etsy.com and my blog at www.chicchickbiz.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 23 2006 :  1:52:02 PM  Show Profile
Hey girl, I will recognize the aprons I sent to you if you post them on EBAY! LOL :)

Peace
Go to Top of Page

mommom
True Blue Farmgirl

854 Posts

Susan
Lancaster Pennsylvania
USA
854 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  5:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Hi Joy! I too have fibromyalgia. I am so thankful that you found a way to stay home and make money! You know, Fibromyalgia is a syndrome: acid reflux is a disease. Make sense to you? Take care! Susan
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  5:40:38 PM  Show Profile
hi kathy, glad to hear from you its been a while. thanks for sharing all the info. iwill look you up on ebay .what catagory should i look for ? also if you get a chance email me would love to know where your husbands shop is and a few other questions ok? your s.jersey neighbor randi
Go to Top of Page

medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2006 :  6:10:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm very interested in hard to find books... I'm really odd with what I like to read and my cousin is always putting me on a hunt for some really hard to find reads. I'll be checking you out on Ebay!

"The only limit to our realization of tomorrow will be our doubts of today." President Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

frannie
True Blue Farmgirl

2246 Posts

fran
bonham texas
USA
2246 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  06:40:48 AM  Show Profile  Send frannie a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much for sharing all of this. i continue to be amazed at the info i get from my fellow farmgirls. i will look up the sources you listed today as i am also at home due to health reasons, and do try to find ways to help suppliment the income. thanks again for your info, i will be cheking you out on ebay.
love,
fran

Go to Top of Page

BettyWeeks
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

Betty
Cincinnati Ohio
USA
50 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2006 :  06:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much for the information. You are so creative. I have always wanted to sell used books (I love to read and have so many of them and spend hours in thrift stores, etc., looking for books). Do you know anything about getting into selling "books on tape". That is what a lot of my friends do. I prefer to read, but they listen to the tapes. I'm getting close to retirement and would like to have supplemental income and stay busy.

Betty

True Happiness: Something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  08:24:10 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

You are an inspiration! I also have fibromyalgia and cannot work a conventional "job". Often my husband says I should sell on ebay, and I have, but I don't have an "official" business at this time.
I had no idea that you could sell thru abe books or alibris. I will have to check into that. Let me know how I can start. Thanks!

Jana
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  9:51:32 PM  Show Profile
great ideas miz kathy .. i haven't taken 'the plunge' with e-bay .. i am saving some of my 'special treasures' to try it someday ... i swear .. i really MUST give up this thing called 'sleep' in order to get more hours in each day!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

ArmyWifey
True Blue Farmgirl

712 Posts

Holly
Abilene KS
712 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  12:48:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for this. I have fibromyalgia as well and we homeschool so I really don't want to work outside the home and I don't have alot of energy either.

I have also thought about doing sewing............for others, as well as old fashioned bonnets and dresses for our "local" ghost town tourist place.

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  04:22:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm currently looking for something to do out of my home. I'm currently a hairdresser but the economy has basically made that job nonexistent. I'm a a single mom of two boys so being able to stay at home would be good. I'm a homebody at heart and working from home would be a dream come true. Problem is doing hair is all I've done for the last 17 years and I don't have much experience doing anything else.
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  07:01:15 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,
We gave up on Ebay and moved to etsy. Much more seller friendly
Had been successfully selling on Ebay for years but as the fees got higher and their emphasis on the buyer got to be ridiculous where you couldn't leave neg feedback for some real stinkers we just got disillusioned. I know what you mean though about watching those auctions go through the roof. It is really fun
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  3:26:34 PM  Show Profile
I sell on Ebay. I just made silver powerseller and the type of things I sell would not be allowed on Etsy. I am looking at other auction sites as well and have sold on Etsy in the past too.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - May 26 2010 :  3:27:42 PM  Show Profile
And Michele I agree 200% over the emphasis on buyer's. It is ridiculous how many NPB com cases I have opened in the last few months.

SAHM mom to four great boys.

http://ksfarnsworth.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  4:12:12 PM  Show Profile
I make money with food. I make good wholesome food at around $5 an entree. I freeze it and sell. I've made Italian meatballs, spaghetti sauce, mac & cheese, all homemade, all freezable, and all cost efficient and i sell it to busy moms who only have to take it out of the freezer in the morning, thaw it and pop it in the oven at night. Most of it is ready in 30 minutes and it's GOOD FOOD. I also run a farmers market off my property. I have a GOOD WILL jar and sometimes I get way more than expected. I also save my seeds and sell them. I lost my job last July and have not gone back. I have fibro too, but I force myself to move and work. I also do photography of Rural America and I'm an esthetician who does make up artistry on the side.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Maven
http://www.harvestthymefarm.vpweb.com
www.onefunkyfarmgirl.blogspot.com
~Heaven doesn't want me, and Hell's afraid I'll take over!~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  7:27:34 PM  Show Profile
Kathy:
How kind and thoughtful of you to share your work at home experiences.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

brandyanne
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Debra

81 Posts

Posted - May 27 2010 :  10:11:29 PM  Show Profile
How wonderful you are doing so well at earning from home- I may try some of your tips!
See Our Latest Tutu @

http://fairiesflowersandfireflys.blogspot.com

Newest Scent
- Brown Sugar Pecan
http://brandyannessoycandles.blogspot.com

Newest Scent - New England Colonial Kitchen
http://oldesaltboxscents.blogspot.com

http://pilgrimsandpioneersprimitives.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DebbieSue
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Debbie
TX
USA
199 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  05:21:02 AM  Show Profile
Love this thread...Please keep it going! I make baby quilts and also sell at the Farmer's Market every year...Husband has a large garden, about 2 1/2 acres...so we have a lot of extra to sell...!
Go to Top of Page

Cozynana
True Blue Farmgirl

1123 Posts

Kem

1123 Posts

Posted - May 28 2010 :  06:02:26 AM  Show Profile
I don't work at home yet, but want to develop a business that would coach newly diagnosed celiacs (people who are allergic to wheat, oats, barley and rye). It is unbelievable how many people are now affected. My dream will become a reality soon. Just need to fine tune my plan and find the right businesses to partner with.
Go to Top of Page

momdrinkstea
True Blue Farmgirl

180 Posts

Elizabeth
Ozark AL
USA
180 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  5:43:47 PM  Show Profile
The food allergy business is really booming...even angelfood ministries
now has boxes for Celiacs! Sounds like a great starter business! Maybe
pre-prepped celiac-friendly meals like Dawn suggested?
Good luck!

-Greenhaven Gardens
"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2010 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kathy, fibromyalgia here too. I worked as a coder for many years and just cant sit in one spot that long anymore. :(

Like you Ive cut everything down to bare minimum, I sell soap and my fantasy artwork at the local renaissance fairs and I also breed friesian sporthorses and swedish warmbloods. Just a few each year. I also do a little ebay and etsy. I am starting a new endeavor, I am attempting to use the old barnwood from the fallen down barn to create art pieces, and make enough to build a new barn. I call it the phoenix project. :)

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Entrepreneurship: Previous Topic How I Make Money From Home - Ideas for You Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page