Page: of 56

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  4:47:51 PM  Show Profile
Patricia, computers and other websites hosting emails are set up to automatically recognize web addresses. Just www.petreader.com is fine, as in your post above. Move your mouse over either of these in this message and you'll see that they underline or highlight. That means it's an active link that you can click on and open that website automatically! Nothing to it!

P.S. and I see that you're a Pet Reader! Cool website

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****

Edited by - Clare on Sep 13 2005 4:51:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  5:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Clare, you're great! (I don't care what the other girls say about you) I never knew you could just type it like that. Woo hoo! Clare, thanks again!

Yes, I've been readings for animals for a long time and I love it. I've been working with Best Friends, which is a rescue organization here in Utah with rounding up and saving pets in New Orleans and Missisippi. When I say "working with" I mean sending money. There's not much more I can do since I'm OLD and have a lot of physical problems. A lot of volunteers have been sent to help and they're doing an amazing job. You can read about it on Best Friends website. (here she goes trying out her new skill, folks. Nothing up my sleeve, the hand is quicker than the eye) www.bestfriends.org . Please God, let it work. I'm also a retired Methodist minister.

Thanks again!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:06:03 PM  Show Profile
wow I got my cat when she was a kitten (springtime) from the No More Homeless Pets in Utah oranization..through a gal in Nephi. If I had more room for more dogs (I have three and two cats) I would adopt another..I LOVE my basset hounds! Sounds like you do such a neat service...glad to get to know more about you. I am sorry I didn't explain the link thing as well as Clare! That is like me..not explaining things well!!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  6:47:23 PM  Show Profile
I am just curious about something...Where do all you fabulous women do your mail art? We have discussed sewing rooms, but never "art rooms"! My husband came home today after being gone for a few days and saw the dining room looking like a room where code breakers are trying to decifer reams of paper, magazines, periodicals, stickers, ect. He raised an eyebrow and I told him to just get over it... I am creating art and he'd have to live with it. He walked away and said "OK". My creativity takes alot of space. It is a dang mess. What about all of you?

Being is what it is. Jean Paul Sartre
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  8:50:43 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, I have a kitchen table (I know I do I saw it last month for a whole day.) but it is ALWAYS covered with one project (or ten) I live in a VERY small house, but I have priorities and one of them is not a clean kitchen table, hubby doesn't complain much, wouldn't do him much good anyway. i have sooooooo many things I like to do. I paint glassware, sew, etc. now mailart is added. Good thing it's a big table.

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2005 :  10:45:41 PM  Show Profile
I do my mail art at the kitchen counter or the dining room table. But I haven't acquired lots of paper, etc like others have. But you should see my sewing room! I have a big cutting table that folds down when not in use. When I'm in creative mode the whole thing is full of different fabrics, cutting utensils, etc. It's pretty messy right now because I'm sewing for a market we're doing on Saturday. I'm pretty anal when it comes to clutter and I can't stand much mess on my dining room table. Thus the reason I probably don't get as much mail art done as you all!

"If you are lucky enough to have a garden, you are lucky enough!"
Go to Top of Page

CelticCoyote
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Heather
Illinois
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:25:34 AM  Show Profile
I have a big box that I keep everything in, and it stores under the bed in my room (well, that's when I put it away...mostly it sits on the chair next to my side of the bed so I can get it easily). When I'm in the mood to create mail art, I pull out the box and all the assorted extras, spread it aaaaall out on top of my bed, and sit cross-legged & lean back on my pillows. It's pretty comfy, and it ensures that I'll pick up after myself before the day is done. Also, that way I get to watch cool old movies while I create.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  06:39:46 AM  Show Profile
Kay..that makes sense and it no doubt why I don't get as much out either..I can't stand for the kitchen table (no dining room in our small house) to be cluttered since we need it for eating on...I don't trust my 4 kids at home to eat elsewhere much in the house. So..I tend to drag stuff out and do it in the family room..I use the floor when the kids are in bed and watch movies sometimes too....and my sewing /laundry room looks like a fabric explosion alot of the time.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  07:40:13 AM  Show Profile
I bought a small red bookcase at an auction that is exactly the same height and width as my fridge but not very deep so it doesnt take up alot of room. On it I have all my art supplies in various baskets, boxes,and folders with stickers, paper, etc.I TRY to keep most of that stuff there and only pull it out as needed,one mail art at a time!That is the key for me to keeping this manageable.
My kitchen table at the moment has elderberries in various stages of preparation, veggies from the garden and a basket of peaches that need attention.
However,the newest addition to my mail art tools is a silly little bed tray with pockets on each side.I use one side for a few art supplies, the other side for scraps of paper trash and the top for working on mail art while I watch the news or a movie.
I can pick it up and set the whole thing aside quickly , if I have to.
I love it!

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Sep 14 2005 07:41:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  08:13:40 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Can't wait to get a list so I can start participating with the Mail Art swap! Can someone give me an idea of how many I should start making??? Thanks so much!

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  08:55:03 AM  Show Profile
Julia, there are over 60 of us now so I suggest just making one at a tinme or a few at a time and you'll get to everyone evenually.
My mail art space is a corner of my living room, this is also were I do every other ctafty thing, sewing, painting and the like. I try really hard to keep it neat, but it's pretty hopeless there is always so many profects exploding out of that corner. It all done on a drafting desk, with a book selve next to it that about 4 feet tall and there are two pretty big tool boxes and well I try to stuff (neatly) everything else under the desk. Many times I just forget the desk and work on the floor. Then it looks like a bomb hit and there is a fallout radius with a clear spot in the middle of the circle which is where I was sitting. But I clean this up always after I'm done, 'casue I'd go nuts with all that everywhere.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:26:49 AM  Show Profile
You all put me to shame ( guilt trip) Great ideas for keeping this all organized! Sue, love the bed tray idea! We have a little table in our kitchen where we eat most meals...so I haven't really displaced family dining. The dining table is big enough to handle my supplies. I do need to get a lid on this. I have an old wardrobe that now houses shoes and sports stuff, board games that may become a new home to mail art. What to do with all that stuff? You all inspire. A day of purging is coming real fast! Can't stand this mess any longer!

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:38:02 AM  Show Profile
Hey Meadowlark,
Don't be ashamed!Guilt trip back..
The reason I had to get a little organized with this is because I had a few experiences of family coming home to me at the table with scraps of paper,pencils and glue sticks all over and me with that "deer in the headlights" look saying.."just don't say a word, keep walking!I'll clean it up." I got tired of them sneaking in and looking at me that way so I was forced into this new mode. However, left to my own creative surges, I am a very messy "creator", cook, and seamstress.......I like to think of it as PASSIONATE in the moment!

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world place."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Sep 14 2005 09:39:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:44:08 AM  Show Profile
Sigh...Sweet Sue, You put it so well...it is a passion! And passion can be messy at times! Think Jackson Pollack throwing all that paint on the canvas!

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:47:37 AM  Show Profile
sigh,
I was actually thinking (or trying to remember!) a type of passionate "art" much more physical than that.

teehee

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

reader
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Cindy
Clarendon Hills IL
11 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:51:26 AM  Show Profile
OK. I'm new and this idea of mail art sounds great. Would someone please give me a short explanation of what is involved, how much time is needed to particpate (I don't want to be a disappointment if the committee is beyond what I have to give) and is it too late to join in.

I will have to be honest my art skills are very lacking although I did take a watercolors class last year and enjoyed it. So if producing beautiful art is a requirement, I think I am in big trouble!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:52:06 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, a big slurpy lick on the face for getting your pets from No More Homeless Pets!! (an arm of Best Friends)God bless you and everyone else who adopts, spays and neuters. Sometimes it's hard being a pet psychic but it is generally rewarding. I have a hard time going to shelters because the confusion and sadness is overwhelming. ("Where's my Mom? What am I doing in this cage? What did I do to deserve this? What happens now?") I do free readings and fundraisers for an agency back in L.A. called "New Leash On Life". We rescued a beautiful white German Shepherd named Courage who had been horribly abused (his muzzle was wired shut so he couldn't bark among other things. His scars are awful). He's now rehabilitated, thanks to the wonderful people at New Leash and living with a young couple who have another dog and are trying to get pregnant. Courage made a liar out of me the first time we met. I always tell clients to not expect a pet to sit and look at me while we talk because animals "talk" to each other while they do whatever it is they're doing. So Courage came and sat at my feet and looked into my eyes the whole time we talked. He's a remarkable animal. If anybody wants to know about communicating with animals let me know and I'll start a thread.

On another note, when we moved to Salt Lake, I was lucky to have a small room in the basement of our old bungalow that is finished and I use for sewing and art. My best way of organizing in any room of the house is shoe bags. I hang an inexpensive shoe bag over the door of, for example, the sewing room, and fill it with all the "stuff" I need that usually is all over the place. I have two in that room - one of sewing and one for art. But I also have one in the bathroom and the bedroom (two there actually. One has shoes in it!). Instant organization and you can see exactly where everything is. No more plowing throuh boxes.

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:55:38 AM  Show Profile
Cindy, Reader, here's the link for sign up info and what the particulars are. Don't feel intimidated. Anything you feel in your heart is art!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1326

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  09:57:55 AM  Show Profile
Reader,
Here is a link to just a few examples of farmgirl mailart but there are really no rules! www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com
What ever makes you happy, in card form, stuffed in an envelope to mail off and share with another farmgirl.
Simple and oh, so fun.

J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  10:01:23 AM  Show Profile
Reader, It is not too late to join the mail art group! And you don't have to be an art genius...anything goes here and it is meant to be fun and sharing of ones self... Go to the the Mail Art II updates for a brief tutoral on how to get started, then sign up in the mailart list from Mary Janes Farm. Glad you are joining in!!!

Utahfarmgirl, that is a great idea about the shoe bags! I just happen to have one in my closet that isn't being used much cause all my shoes are on the closet floor! You should start a topic on reading animal emotions! Sounds very interesting!

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  10:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Sue, Hmmmm...I think Ronald Reagan was in office when that occured for me...or was it Jimmy Carter?

Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  10:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Meadowlark, maybe you and I should get together and do a "keep sell toss" day

I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  11:52:32 AM  Show Profile
whoa, honey!
You just keep crankin' out that mail art WHENEVER and WHERE EVER you want!
Keep that "creative" chakra OPEN!!

J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Sep 14 2005 12:48:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:39:07 PM  Show Profile
My mailart supplies are portable too, stored in one of those big plasitc tubs that I can take out on the deck on a nice day, or in front of the tv during Oprah or news, and when the grandkids come over I can "hide" it real fast......lol

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Cindylou
Farmgirl at Heart

243 Posts

Cindylou
Moscow Idaho
243 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2005 :  12:53:44 PM  Show Profile

Thank you Clare, Meadowlark and BlueEggBabe for welcoming Reader and sharing all the Mail Art information with her!
Hang on farmgirls~ hopefully next week all the new bells and whistles will be ready for expanding the possibilities on the forum. You will be able to check the mailing lists, too!
By the By ~ BlueEgg Babe sent an adorable Mail Art to the farm this week. It shows a very fashionable farmgirl with a garden "pitchfork" over her shoulder and her traveling bags along with her chickens. There is a locomotive, a picture of the Chrysler Building ( my favorite) and sign post to NYC and Phila. The ticket says Be Creative! New York where MaryJane will be heading Oct. 1st. Thanks for so aptly capturing the moment! Your art work is awesome!
sunnily yours,

MaryJane's Left-Hand Farmgirl
Cindylou
cindylou@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 56 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page