Previous Page | Next Page
Author *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic
Page: of 56

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2005 :  7:53:40 PM  Show Profile
I have been very remiss since I was away and didn't know what treasure awaited me! I must thank all of you who sent me such wonderful and varied mail art!
Kele- What a wonderful surprise to open! The postcard is great(sounds like I would have liked to work there), and how special for you that you were married in that beautiful place. You are too much! I love the quilt square and am going to frame it. How did you know I am a pink and green girl? The farmgirls w/ a secret made me smile too! Thank you so much; what a sweetheart you are!

Marlene B and MollyMae- Thank you so much for your personalized cards, it's such a treat to see what everyone creates. I love them both! It's nice getting to know both of you too!

Fulminous(Deb)-
Thanks so much for the vintage postcard of Maine (one of my favorite places! I am looking forward to checking out the other info too! Glad to hear your parents had enough energy to continue vacationing. My guys came home and slept for 14 hours straight! "Talk" to you soon!

Miss Helen (Bubblesnz)- I was so excited to see the return address from you, but am also feeling a little guilty as your envelope has been sitting here accumulating more things to go out to you!I loved your artwork and my son saw it and said "Cool, how'd she make that copper thing?" So you provided a brief explaination of mold and relief work!It's been fun learning the differences, but even neater to learn that we are all sisters across the miles and in your case continents! Thank you for your lovely artwork and friendship!

BlueEggBabe(Susan) - I think I thanked you before but don't want to forget to tell you how much my company liked the Gazpacho while we were up at camp. They were commenting on the recipe card too, they thought you sounded like fun! Thanks again! Have you been singing? We have and the kids too! There is hope!

I mailed to a little less than half the list before I left and am now returning to complete mailing to the rest of you. Have faith and don't give up the ship, I will be visiting your mailbox fairly soon!
Love to you all!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Melissa
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Selden NY
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone. What have I been missing here????? What is "mail-art"? I would love to see what some of it looks like and I'd love to participate, too. Anything with paper or fabric is something I'd love to do. Could someone fill me in on this?

"Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light." Roethke
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  06:10:24 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, read throught the last 4 pages of this topic and you'll see Cindylou's two posts with links to view some of the mailart that the farm has received.

For more info, read the MAIL ART II- UPDATE new topic post that I made in this category recently.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  08:17:09 AM  Show Profile
Kim, thank you for the mailart! Your backyard is gorgeous!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.
Rumi

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  10:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Mollymae! i was just wondering if anyone had received my photo. I am bringing ALL of mine back with me when I go home to Illinois this weekend. I'm sure I will have several new ones to open since I have been here in Kansas!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  11:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Kim! Just got your beautiful photo in the mail! Thank YOu, I love it! Those pine trees are so gorgeous! How is KC? I sent you an email 2 weeks ago, but you must not have gotten it! I have been busy moving my oldest daughter to another apt in Manhattan where she attends college and works, and getting younger girl ready for 7th grade. It's been a little crazy. School starts here Monday! Illinois sure is pretty. Kansas is hot and miserable right now...but fall is just around the corner I hope. Be safe! Talk to ya soon!

The flowers flee from Autumn, but not you-
You are the fearless rose that grows amidst the freezing wind. Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark-

I don't have access to my other e-mail address here in KC. That's probably why I didn't get it. I can't access the goofyblonde one.
Kansas is SOOO pretty! I have been to Ft Leavenworth and Atchinson so far.
I'm glad you enjoyed the photo. We had those pine trees we planted about 5 years ago. A neighbor was removing some on his land. He had way too many and they were all too close together. We got them for a song!

I plan on going out to Topeka when I get a chance to see the Wizard of Oz Museum. i have a vehicle so I can go pretty much anywhere I please!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow

Edited by - Kim on Sep 14 2005 11:43:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:12:06 PM  Show Profile
Got a wonderful mail art from Linda in Louisiana today..thanks so much!! I will get more sent out in the next couple of days...did something different this time...I hope you gals like it!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:26:40 PM  Show Profile
My mail art has been different for every person I have sent to. I have used similar ideas only once or twice. I do not like to do the same thing over and over, so when I sit down and choose my next victim, I just do whatever I am led to. I was thinking today that perhaps the consistency of sending everyone the same idea would probably be good, but oh well.....that is not me!

Anyway, Blueeggbabe, I was looking at yours again today, and I know each one of yours was different depending on the person but the application was probably the same - the collage. Where did you get the word Bluesky and the dove above it? That blows me away, as I had just finished a quilt square for my church that had a white dove on it. Where do you all get your pics, etc? They are so varied! And wonderful.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:41:54 PM  Show Profile
Not to be nit-picky, Jpbluesky, but I think that's my mail art you're referring to, unless of course, you have two pieces of mailart with that notation! I got the bluesky with a dove from the logo of a soft drink that's advertised in Organic Style or Yoga Journal, or maybe both. I raided my magazine stash for collage ideas. Gets my creative juices flowing, since I'm limited on actual artistic drawing ability. Mine are all different too.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Aug 08 2005 2:35:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  1:58:23 PM  Show Profile
For some reason my last one didn't post so if it comes up twice I'm sorry!!

I just dropped 2 more in the mail box so that will make 4 now. I haven't made up my mind what I want to do next, all mine are different from each other as well... but I may make an exception if I decide to send out a recipe or something.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:06:02 PM  Show Profile
JP, I'm with ya now on varying the art for the people I send out too...Clare and Blue Egg babes colage style really got the creative juices going. Although I love to draw, and may still incorporate that in my work, I went to the hobby store and found a little how to book on creating Collage. I love the spontanaity of it...and the personalization. In my perusing of ebay I found these huge lots of collage and altered art papers!!! I put in a bid on one and got it! I was so stoked! here's an example of what is in the lot...vintage lace paper, old maps, and dictionary pages, pages from old readers for kids, vintage ads, stamps, buttons, patches, pics of nature stuff like shells, rocks, insects and on and on! In all about 100 pieces for collage and scrapbooking and mailart! Cool huh? I do lots of scrapbooking in this style, but never thought to use this kind of stuff for it.

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:21:57 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
What a great find on ebay! aA few weeks ago I looked at some of the stuff that came up when I typed in "collage art" in the search box. Some of it gave me great ideas and inspiration.
I am trying hard to stay away from buying the scrapbooking supplies although it is sooooooo very tempting! Like Clare, I have finally found a use for my stack of magazines that I can't bear to throw away but I have mostly utilized my copier for photographs I have taken and to copy cool art, ads, articles etc from old, old magazines/periodicals and postcards that I've collected over the years.
Every time I start a new a mail art,I try to share a little about me and combine it with a little about the recipient. The first few that I made were "original duplicates" and I decided that I didn't like that delivery method afterall.
I am definitely rolling with a different theme now on every one and it is much more satisfying.

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien

Edited by - BlueEggBabe on Aug 08 2005 3:23:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:32:35 PM  Show Profile
I did each one sort of starting the same, but personalized them too. This next batch (I did a batch of 5 last time) will be a whole different "theme" I guess is what I meant. I am so inspired by you gals with all the artistic talent..I don't have that for sure! So I go with what I can do. Isn't this fun!??!

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:33:37 PM  Show Profile
Susan, I wish I had more sources for things like that...the flea markets here are very overpriced, as well as the used bookstores that sell the old mags and periodicals. I try not to buy too much of it...I do have some great old postcards I got when my grandma passed away, and some really cool ones my Dad sent on his trips overseas in the early 60's. One of them is of a Paris Flower market and these old ladies in vintage dresses are buying flowers, circa 1960. I just have to dig them out and find them all and make copies. By the way, your little card of the meadowlark I framed, it is hanging by my desk...I cherish it!

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
Hey there Hi there Clare!
I had to lol- when I read that you got the bluesky w/dove from Yoga Journal! Since I began following this topic I've started collecting to make my own MailArt, my first stop, was all my Yoga Journals. How funny. I've also gone through my knitting, quilting, gardening, you name it, mags!
Thanks to Kay! I received the list this weekend and am getting ready to get some sent out this week! Yeah!!
I'm not sure what I am most excited about giving or receiving!!

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas and encouragement to get creative!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  3:47:43 PM  Show Profile
Hey Tawnya! You will love it! I do a happy mailart dance by my mailbox when I see something special in it! Glad you have joined the Sisterhood of the traveling art!

Go to Top of Page

little feather
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Tawnya
Walnut Creek California
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  4:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Send little feather a Yahoo! Message
I just had the funniest image of what the "happy mailart dance" would look like! It was very cute indeed, enough to put a huge grin on my face!
I'm so glad too and am super excited to get some mailart out to all you wonderful sisters!

Where ever you go, go with all your heart!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  5:04:21 PM  Show Profile
I have some new ideas as well that I'm going to start working on tomorrow! These pieces will take awhile though!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  5:07:34 PM  Show Profile
Can't wait Molly...and I love your Rumi tagline. he is so cool!

Go to Top of Page

justacitygurl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Dorothy
Haysville Ks
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  7:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Send justacitygurl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kim for the picture of your great backyard and the gorgeous sunset. Wish my backyard looked like that. I just look at houses behind me.

just a city gurl wishing she was a farm girl

"old enough to know better, but still too young to care”

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  7:30:01 PM  Show Profile
Clare - I am so sorry for my confusion! I truly meant to type the name Clare, but when I got the word collage in my mind, I said blueeggbabe, who also sent me a very cool collage card! Please forgive my mistake.

And thank you for answering my question! It is amazing how a magazine photo can become something so personal when it is put together as artfully as you did my mail art card.

jpbluesky
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  7:47:23 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Jenny! I had never heard of Rumi before meeting you on here, I love him!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet."~Rumi

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  7:51:33 PM  Show Profile
jpblueksy, I'm not offended at all... we're all in good company here! I'm glad my mailart evoked such a strong chord for you.

Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2005 :  9:05:28 PM  Show Profile
Missy at La Marguerite Farm,
I got to do the "happy mailart dance" by my mailbox today when I received your Hearty Greetings mailart...I love it! I have a small collection of old postcards and antique greeting cards, too, and had never thought of using copies of them for art, but I loved the layered technique you used. Very creative! Thank you so much!

Jane

"Let us then plant with diligence and care
The garden of the soil,
But let us, with far deeper earnestness,
Tend the garden of our hearts."
~ from The Cottage Gardener, 1849
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 56 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: