therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  8:52:36 PM  Show Profile
I just found some great examples of mail art on Ebay by putting in collage art in the search box. Lots of great ideas.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2005 :  12:38:07 PM  Show Profile
How exciting for us to be in MJF's next magazine, I was hoping she would write a article on us, after all, she has inspired all of us and mail art will feel right at home on the pages of her next magazine, just too bad we have to wait till Feb! Ack.......
Welcome Kristy, what season are you in?

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

climbergirl
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

west & north roadtrip
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  01:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Send climbergirl an AOL message
WOW! As life would have it, I've been busy and hadn't checked this post. Recently, I received some prodding to re-visit the list from a couple of MaryJaners and I was surprised to see how active this string is!

I've been responding to those of you who contacted me off-line for trades. My intent was an informal, off-line trade and I'm amazed to see that someone has picked this up and organized it into a chain-letter type of thing. Clever!

Please keep contacting me directly (by using the little icon with an envelope at the top of this post) and I'll be sure to get back to you.

quote:
Originally posted by climbergirl

Some of you may have heard of the phenomenon of mail art.

Recently, I've been cleaning out the bedroom I grew up in and have come across bundles of letters I received as a child. They're from girls I met at summer gymnastics camp, college friends and boxes of tightly folded back-and-forth notes passed in the halls of high school. Some of the bundles have found their way back to the writers. Others, I'm still searching for the long lost writers!

My point is, I miss receiving mail! I'd love to swap mail art with some like-minded people.

The cool thing about mail art is that you don't have to think up one-liners to send to a complete stranger. And it's not as committed as a pen pal. All you have to do is decorate a post card (or scrap of cardboard and call it a postcard) or an envelope and send it off. Found objects, bits of blurry photos you were going to toss when you purged your photo box, your best friend's favorite saying - the sky is the limit.

Anyone interested in giving this a try, email me your address and I'll send you my address.

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  07:45:53 AM  Show Profile
Climbergirl - I have thought of you often as this mail art took on its own personality! It has really grown huh? And you were the first to post about it! Glad to see you back!

I do not see your address on my printed list and I cannot email you personally, so I hope someday to send you a piece of mail.

Bayoubunch - your mail art was REALLY beautiful. You are one of us who is truly an artist. I love your photos. Thank you!

Also, since my name is the first on the list(so it would not be the one people would look to send next)- please do not forget me! And I will not forget you either! I might be slow, but I will keep sending. Everytime I sit down to do a piece, it always turns out different and always makes me feel happy.

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 22 2005 07:52:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

Laura K
Farmgirl at Heart

6 Posts

Laura
Portland Oregon
USA
6 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:27:04 AM  Show Profile
Okay- I'm new to all this, but am really interested in getting in on this mail art fun. I love making hand-made cards (you should see the one that I just made for my niece's wedding...almost made me cry...)and I love stamping, saving paper and leaves, etc. How can I join you ?
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:30:40 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Hi Climber Girl

Thanks for putting the original suggestion out there to start mail art. I was the first one to pick it up and now all of these wonderful farmgirls are making it a huge success. I understand that we now have about 50 participants. Did want to clarify that it is not actually a chain letter type of arrangement. We have a "snail" mailing list, and each person is asked to send one piece of mail art to the next person on the list. After doing this, they are free to send art in anyway they choose. However, the mail is not forwarded on as it would be in a chain letter project. Each person gets to keep the very special art that is sent to her. This is all very exciting! We even have participants from New Zealand and Singapore. We will also be featured in MJ's magazine in February. We have a farm girl chapter called "Sisterhood of the Travelling Art", and we are about to have a website where mail art pieces can be displayed and commments can be made in a blog format.

Pretty wonderful considering that we have only been doing this for about 3 months. Farm Girls do indeed make it happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blue Sky in Florida

You should not be overlooked because you are at the top of the list. In fact, you will probably end up receiving a lot of mail art because as each new person is added to the bottom of the list, she is asked to mail to the person at the top of the list which should be you.

Climber Girl Thanks again for getting this started. Please join in the fun and thanks to all who are making this such a special experience.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

climbergirl
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

west & north roadtrip
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Send climbergirl an AOL message
Who is the holder of the list and how does one get on it?
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:50:32 AM  Show Profile
Climbergirl, email Kay (therusticcottage) and she will get you added on...wait, is Sqrl (Melissa) taking care of it now?? Well, email both and one of them will make sure you are put on

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  09:52:14 AM  Show Profile
Hi Climbergirl! This all started with you and your idea! Thank You!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  12:42:36 PM  Show Profile
Molly Mae and Kele, thank you so much for your cleaver mail art, love them both, such cute ideas!! Kele, now you got me wanting to start quilting and it's that season yet! LOL Molly Mae, thanks for dating yours, something I'll really appreacite as I get older!! Now to come up with a idea on how to display them all, anyone got any ideas? I know you do, since your all so cleaver and creative! One way to beat the heat huh?

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2005 :  1:11:16 PM  Show Profile
You're welcome, Sue, I'm glad you like it!!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile
Oh my, my girls! Two pieces of mail art in my mailbox this morning!

Thanks to MollyMae for the beautiful card... love those peonies!

Thanks to BlueEggBabe for the recipe and the Faux Joe... off to make some iced right now!!!

In addition to getting "real mail" in one's mailbox, there is the added benefit of knowing someone thought of us today, isn't there?

Yikes! I've gotta get busy!!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  3:35:48 PM  Show Profile
You're so welcome, Clare! Peonies (and tulips) are my favorite flowers!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  3:36:58 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

I have about 10 mail art pieces ready to go; one is for Helen in New Zealand. I wanted to mail these right after work today. I tried to call the PO to see how much postage to put on her envelope, but I can't get a response at the PO.

Does anyone know what it costs to send a first class letter to NZ?

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  3:52:38 PM  Show Profile
Connio, I think the cost first class was 88 cents...I have been out in the 106 heat so I may be off a few cents...I called the post office and told them the address and they gave me the postage amount. Remember Helen's address is different after the 8th of July...

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile
I received my first piece of mail art today and I am thrilled. I had no idea what mail art was, but I jumped in and joined the group and started the process by purchasing a few cards that I liked and mailed them. I confessed to the entire board that I had no clue about what I was doing....so now I have an example from Molly (Bless your heart, Molly) and I see what fun I can have getting to know all of you and trying to be creative (that will be a miracle) at the same time !!!!!

Linda (Learner )
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  4:58:54 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad I could help, Linda!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile
Regarding mail to Helen in New Zealand, better check out the calculator at this USPS address:
http://ircalc.usps.gov/default.asp?Mode=Intl_Single&CID=10293

I priced a letter, (by weight- gotta weigh your art!!), as follows:

1 oz: $ 0.80 air mail post - 4-7 days

4 oz: air mail post -deliver in 4-7 days: $3.50
economy surface letter post (ie. via boat) delivers in 4-6 weeks: $4.05

8 oz: air mail post= deliver in 4-7 days: $7.10
economy surface letter post $4.05 (same as 4 oz)

So, Helen, I understand your dilemma in mailing to the States, because these postage rates really add up!!

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Jul 23 2005 5:08:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  5:07:31 PM  Show Profile
My letter was under a dollar to Helen... Took about 2 weeks to get to her.

Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  5:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Hiya Clare, yes $2.00 for me to post, but not complaining, whats two bucks between sisters ;0).
Thanks for thinking of me though, that is sweet.

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  5:30:43 PM  Show Profile
I'm so excited! I received two pieces of mail art today in the mail. Thank you Molly Mae and junebug. It's so great to get something in the mail other than bills and ads.

I'd better get busy and send some out.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  7:36:42 PM  Show Profile
You are welcome, Marcia!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  8:35:52 PM  Show Profile
Helen and all my sisters in the traveling art, Money spent on posting mailart is well spent... reaching across time and space to touch another is a precious pursuit... It brings joy!!

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  8:47:01 PM  Show Profile
I feel exactly the same way! The money I spend is absolutely no issue for me!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2005 :  8:51:59 PM  Show Profile
It was just an informative post, girls... so you didn't get your mail lost in lala land indefinately. I agree, money well spent.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 56 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page