The Farmers Daughter
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Sherry
LeRoy Kansas
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  6:59:00 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I know I'm stupid but I'm not sure how this "Mail Art" works! Do we send someone a profile about us and they match us up with another farm gal??? If so, please count me in and tell me what to do. I can be reached at [scarter@kans.com]. Can hardly wait to get writing another country gal!!!

Sher, The Farmer's Daughter
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  7:32:13 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sherry! You aren't stupid! WE have started a sisterhood here on the forum called...Sisterhood of the Travelling Art. We exchange mailart with each other which can be as simple as a postcard with a giant kansas Cottontail rabbit with a cowboy riding it or a handmade piece of your own design. Use whatever you have on hand (we aren't art critics here) fabric scraps, old photos, stamps, rocks, glass, magazine clippings whatever the spirit moves you, to us it is art in it's purest form, and deserving of a place of honor in the mailbox and eventually our domiciles! It is a HOOT to get this stuff Sherry! Email the rustic cottage (Kay) with your address, and permission to publish it to other members of the mail art list, your birthday if ya wish, and wait for the art and letters to come your way via the mail gods!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2005 :  8:18:23 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't have explained it any better than you, Jenny!! You're good!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**

Sisterhood of the Traveling Art
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  09:16:55 AM  Show Profile
Connie, I may have to take you up on that offer. I have 30 farmgirl kits and well we now have I think I counted 38 ladies and still growing. So I'll probably need your extras. May be what I can do is send you the list of ladies that I have already send kits to and you can send to as many as you can and than we'll figure from there. What do ya say, sounds good?

Blessed Be

www.sqrlbee.com
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  12:14:01 PM  Show Profile
I have 14 done that I'm mailing out tomorrow!! I'm still enjoying this so much!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain. If I can ease one life the Aching or cool one pain, or help one fainting robin unto his nest again, I shall not live in vain" ~Emily Dickinson

Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  12:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Fourteen! I just got the list and was happy to have 2 ready to mail. I'm going to have to get busy...
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  2:00:38 PM  Show Profile
With the original list I had gotten at least 10 done , this is my second batch!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

QuiltingQueen
True Blue Farmgirl

104 Posts

Jane
La Porte Indiana
USA
104 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:09:51 PM  Show Profile
I'd better get busier!
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:20:01 PM  Show Profile
Jane, just like Flylady says "Jump in where you are, you are not behind!" !!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Linda Houston
True Blue Farmgirl

538 Posts

Linda
Lake Charles Louisiana
USA
538 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  5:37:22 PM  Show Profile
I am also excited about the mail art . I am unsure about decorating the cards or etc. I am not creative so I am looking for neat farm girls cards to use. Are there any web sites that can give me ideas, or would some of you please tell me more about this.

Thanks for the help

Linda H.
Go to Top of Page

bubblesnz
True Blue Farmgirl

291 Posts

helen

New Zealand
291 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2005 :  8:33:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Linda, you dont need too decorate a card, you can just send a postcard, or something you like.. plain card with a favourite recipe perhaps. Anything is acceptable, its the thought that counts..Everyone has different ideas, there is no set way to do it, just send something that expresses you. Have fun.

A great oak, is just a little nut which held it's ground.
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  10:37:40 AM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!

Melissa If you will email me the list of those who still need kits, I will get them together.

According to Kay, we know have 50 participants.

I also have another question. Has anyone sent mail art to Mary Jane's farm?

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  10:54:11 AM  Show Profile
Not yet, Connie, but I've been wanting to!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  11:07:03 AM  Show Profile
Connie,
I sent a postcard out to MJFarm with my first batch of mail art.
If anyone is interested, the address is on the bottom of the Home page
of the Farmgirl Connection. I addressed it to "All the Farmgirls at MJFarm" I hope they liked it

Sue

"If more of us valued good food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  12:48:17 PM  Show Profile
I too am sending one out to MJFarm, thanks for the tip on the addy!
Does she know of our sisterhood yet, so she won't discard the mail art?

I'm not 40 something, I'm 39.95 plus shipping and handling!
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  12:55:53 PM  Show Profile
I'm coming to Kansas City Kansas for 2 months!!! This is a great opportunity for me through my job!!!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  2:17:12 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kim, What will you be doing there? Let's meet for lunch and visit! I am only 3 hours from K.C.!!!

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  4:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Girls - MJF is thinking about having a feature in her next magazine about the Mail Art Chapter. We have been asked to send her a piece so she and Carol can really get a grasp of what to write, etc. Carol has posted this info on the thread about MJF's next issue. Go to MJF's Products and Merchandise to find the topic on the next issue and read. Love you all!

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 19 2005 4:15:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  4:14:06 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
I will be doing training and auditing for new employees. I am so scared and excited at the same time!!!! I will be staying at Holtze Hotel in Overland Park. I just got the info. How far is that from you? I will be there for 21 days and then I think they will be sending me back. It's nice to know I have a friend waiting!

My pic have not come back yet, so I have not been able to do my mail art. Hopefully I will have my prints before I leave.

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile
Meadowlark,
send me an e-mail. I should have access to the internet at my hotel as well. Hopefully we can touch base while I am there. I'm going to want to move there aren't I???

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

FarFlung
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Kristy
Singapore
Singapore
3 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  5:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Oh, so much fun! Connie invited me to join in :-)

I am a farmgirl (an old 4-Her and FFA'er at heart) now living in the city of Singapore. I am growing veggies on the patio, dreaming of my farm back home and totally in awe of what MaryJane has done!

I am going to go back and read the 17 pages of prior posts!

Kristy-An Oregonian Farmgirl in the City of Singapore.

(check out my blog on simple living in Singapore (www.farflungcraft.com/blogs/SLS)
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  7:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kristy - Can't wait to hear about life in Singapore! How exotic! How long have you been there?

Glad you are a Farmgirl with us!

jpbluesky
Heartland girl

Edited by - jpbluesky on Jul 19 2005 7:05:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

justacitygurl
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Dorothy
Haysville Ks
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  7:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Send justacitygurl a Yahoo! Message
Kim,
the Holtze is a great place. I had the pleasure of staying there for only one night but I was impressed. Wish I could come join you and Meadowlark for lunch. It would be great to get to meet some of you all face to face.
Dorothy

just a city gurl wishing she was a farm girl
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  7:48:24 PM  Show Profile
Dorothy, WE would love to have you join us! Lets give Kim a big Kansas farmgirl welcome! I have never heard of the Holtz, but I love Overland Park and the whole KC metro area! There are the coolest little shops there too, kind of funky and boutique like. I will email Kim and find out the details...then I will let ya know!

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2005 :  8:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much to everyone who responded to my "survey" today regard the size of the mail art list and how to handle it. The general opinion is to keep it as one list and keep adding new members. At the present time we have 49 - YEAH!!

I have been totally confused about who to start sending to, how much to send each month , etc. And now I've confused the new people because I told them something totally different than how it's been. So following is the original post by Connie when she set everything up. Everyone is encouraged to send out at least one mailing per month but you can do as many as you want.

My thought was that if we compiled a list of snail mail addresses, each person on the list could send one piece of mail to the next name on the list. The last person would, of course, go to the first person on the list. One mailing would be the minimum, but for all who are very energetic, it would be fine to send out as many pieces as you would like. I would think that after the first round, we could let it go rather free form and see how this works.

So hopefully I've made this as clear as mud by now!!!! Thanks for all your opinions - I really do appreciate it.

Kay - Living in Beautiful Washington State
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 56 *Farmgirl Swap: Previous Topic Archived Mail Art Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page