Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Gardens and Yards as Spiritual work
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens and Yards as Spiritual work Next Topic
Page: of 4

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2004 :  1:54:45 PM  Show Profile
Clare, Eileen and all -

You all define what America is all about and has been from the beginning. We are individuals. We are independent. And we are very able to take care of ourselves. May that never end!
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  2:29:28 PM  Show Profile
Clare,

I can relate to the issue you have with neighbors and privacy.
When we first moved to our home out here in Davenport,we had no neighbors to the east of us only a big, grassy field. I loved to look out my kitchen window and watch the quail and pheasants in the morning.
The only neighbors we had at that time were the people who live down the hill to the west of us. I really didn't see them much, since they only lived there for the summers anyway.
It was very peaceful and quiet, as living in the country should be.
About two years ago, some people bought the property to the east of us and put their trailor home RIGHT next to our house. Now the only view I have is that big,ugly trailer right outside my window. The field is gone and so are the pheasants.
My neighbors are very nice and helpful (as country folk should be), and I enjoy talking and visiting with them. But isn't being secluded and not being able to SEE your neighbors one of the great pleasures of country life? Having peace and knowing that you can go outside and be alone is something you can't get in the city. City life is what I have tried so hard to get away from.
Now I have a new neighbor to the north of us who has built little shacks all around his property. That's fine, I have no problem with that. The only thing I have a problem with is the fact that, when he's out weed eating the grass or working in the yard, he wears a dress. Hey, to each their own, but do I really have to see that? If I wanted to see that I'd move to San Francisco, lol!
Don't get me wrong, I love (most) of my neighbors but I can't help but feel my peaceful, country life has been somewhat "cityfied".
We country gals just aren't meant for that, we need more room to grow.
Dar

"live each day as if it were your last".
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  3:00:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Darla, you made me laugh, and that's a good thing! I agree, we need our "space". I figure I need at least 10 acres.......If you find it, let me know!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  3:20:14 PM  Show Profile
Don't know about the zoning codes in your community but most places have standards about structure location in proximity to the property lines. Perhaps your neighbor has overlooked these? They don't call them mobile homes for nothing! A less confrontational alternative would be to see what farmers in your area plant as wind breaks(usually fast growing) and plant this to screen the view.
As for your dress wearing neighbor, to each their own but I can go you one better. Our lovely senior citizen neighbors behind us had their very bizarre middle age son move back home and he walks around in his tidy whiteys just waiting to strike up a conversation! His parents have commented on what a shame it is I don't trim the yew hedge across the back anymore (it's now 9" tall but good lord! Tom Cruise he ain't!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  4:49:06 PM  Show Profile
Clare,

Glad to make you laugh! I have to laugh about "the dress guy" (as we affectionately call him) too. If I didn't, I would have to cry!
If I find that perfect 10 acres, I'll be sure to give ya a holler.

Bramble,

I hadn't looked into the codes, didn't think of that.
I have looked into a hedge or trailing vine though. Next year I think I'll try a trailing rose or something.
man! I'm sure glad I don't have to live next to the "tidy whitey" guy! I had to laugh at that one. But I failed to mention the "dress guy" has a friend who (I'm told) likes to run from shack to shack stark naked! Honestly, I am not making this up! Thank goodness my view is partially blocked by trees, lol!
Dar

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  5:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Dar-- Now I am laughing out loud! Maybe the huts are Swedish saunas?!
You can only hope! Now I am definitely thinking tall evergreens! Do Norway spruce and or White pines grow out there?

I once had a client that totally forgot I was coming to review plans with him and when I got there about 5 people were "frolicking "in the buff! Needless to say, we did not review the pools future landscape THAT day! So much for peace and tranquilty in THAT garden!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  5:31:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bramble

Don't know about the zoning codes in your community but most places have standards about structure location in proximity to the property lines. Perhaps your neighbor has overlooked these? They don't call them mobile homes for nothing! A less confrontational alternative would be to see what farmers in your area plant as wind breaks(usually fast growing) and plant this to screen the view.
As for your dress wearing neighbor, to each their own but I can go you one better. Our lovely senior citizen neighbors behind us had their very bizarre middle age son move back home and he walks around in his tidy whiteys just waiting to strike up a conversation! His parents have commented on what a shame it is I don't trim the yew hedge across the back anymore (it's now 9' tall but good lord! Tom Cruise he ain't!

with a happy heart

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  5:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Sorry everyone...tried to edit (9" to 9' and it reprinted! Where is the editing icon that used to be here? I am still relatively dippy about that sort of stuff!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  6:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! Bramble, you painted quite a picture in my mind. I don't think I want to know! LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  6:10:26 PM  Show Profile
The paper with the pencil is the editing button and the paper with the garbage can will delete a whole entry... I think our "eclectic" neighbors have you a bit frazzled, Bramble!

Darla, In our area Canadian Hemlock is a nice bushy, fast growing wind and privacy screen. It does need a bit of room to grow, width wise that is, and it will get quite tall. You might check into that. (I've seen it in catalogs.) I'm still considering several options for my unprivate fence line... one that looks inviting, and easy, but not cheap is the bamboo or willow screen/fence idea... She now has a another family living there too, so you can imagine it is quite busy with cars coming and going...I MUST decided what to do by spring time...(or win the lotto and move.)

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  6:40:44 PM  Show Profile
Now , now girls! They were swimming! Can you picture me standing there rescheduling the appointment?!!!

I love canadian hemlocks but do not recommend them anymore due to a very severe problem called wooly adelgid that looks like cottony scale or mealy bug but dessicates the needles and the trees just brown and die. This is a project with the USDA for some biological control but they are very tough and resilient and only one small wasp is a predator but it does not winter over where it gets cold. I believe it is indigenous to India so the recent tsunami may have affected the supply of them as well.

Clare --The willow fence is lovely but will only last a few years in your rainy environs. Have you considered a more natural screen such as evergreen viburnum(heavenly to smell),nandina (good for birds)and rhododendron and or Kousa dogwood(tree form-great flowers late spring)? What is your sun exposure on that side? I hate to say it but the home centers have some great buys on fencing that you could soften with those plantings. Sometimes a fence makes the best neighbor when you are in "captivity" like we are!

My screen no longer has those icons that's why I was confused! Where are yours? Thanks!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  7:46:02 PM  Show Profile
Bramble, the icons should be in in the brown line across the top of any post that you make. They will not show in the posts that others make, because you can't change or delete someone else's message.

Thanks for the planting recommendations. I'll contemplate this some more.
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  8:04:21 PM  Show Profile
There actually is a fence dividing my property and the neighbors on the east. It's a wire fence and would be good for a trailing plant. But I live in eastern washington and it gets very cold. We have a short growing season (I think we're in zone 5 if I remember right) and the fence in question is in the shade most of the day. SOOOO...what kind of pretty, flowering, TALL hedge would do well there?
Thanks for the advice Bramble, you seem to know a lot about plants.
(I only have a green thumb when there's some green dye around).
Dar

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2005 :  8:42:26 PM  Show Profile
Clare-- The icons are no longer on that line with my post! Just a head and a piece of paper the pencil is gone!

Dar-- The plants I mentioned to Clare all tolerate those conditions but do best if staggered in a naturalized, informal placement. I did once see nandina used as a hedge at a McDonald's of all places and it was very effective in screening a refuse area. Virginia creeper would be very fast growing and cover your fence in no time and has great fall color. I am also between Zone 5&6 but on the opposite side of the country! As for my plant knowledge...I am a seasonally "retired"
landscape designer that "moonlights" as a teacher. I've been a stay at home Mom since my son was born, doing freelance work from home for contractors and independent clients. More frustrating than fascinating but I love the creative aspect. Hope those ideas help both of you "hide" from the neighbors!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

celticlady
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Dar
Davenport WA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 21 2005 :  11:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Bramble,
Thanks for the advice!
I was just wondering, how do you become a landscape designer?

Also, I admire you for being a stay at home mom. That takes a lot of sacrifice and commitment but it is the best thing for the kids. I too am a stay at home mom and I truly love it! Take care!
Dar

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  12:41:16 PM  Show Profile
Reviving an old topic here, girls! I just wanted to share an experience I've been having, and I thought, ya know, I bet my Farmgirl Sistas (and Bros) could relate.

On my lunch breaks I walk in the park. We have a nice trail system here along the river. Well, since it's been 90-100 degrees for the last couple weeks, walking - even at 11:30am- really works up a sweat. I finally decided there was absolutely no reason I couldn't walk off the trail on the grass in the shady areas. So, I've been doing this... it's a great heat relief. Then... in one section of the park there are lots of oak trees, and some others I can't identify, but nice shade provided. And I walk through there. I noticed one day how calming it was to walk on the grass in the shade among the trees. Then I started reaching out and just lightly brushing my fingertips across the trees as I walk past. I'm telling ya, I get a jolt of energy from each tree that is amazing! I know we've talked before about hugging trees for grounding, so I just thought I'd pass along this new and amazing experience I'm having. I've also experimented with looking at a tree's aura/energy field ala James Redfield's books, and find that I can see it if I squint my eyes. But as soon as I blink or think about what I'm doing it's gone... but it is soooo interesting to me... We all know our environment is alive and supporting us, and this is just the proof of it applying to my own little life.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz
Set a high value on spontaneous kindness. - Samuel Johnson****
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  1:17:10 PM  Show Profile
Hey I guess you just answered a question I had in the Wagon. It is ok to resurrect old threads?

Isn't this harmonic resonance? Like when I pluck my E string on my mandolin and my guitar talks back? Or what about yawns? Are invisible energy of thoughts contagious?
Ellen

Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2005 :  3:35:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Clare, what a wonderful feeling it is to get that connection with those trees. I feel I have been lucky in my life to have known about those connections as long as I can remember and I am always thrilled when I find someone else who has had them.
Yes Ellen I too think it is a form of harmonic resonances. I don't know if there have ever been any studies on the subject that I can refer to but I am certain that thought energy is contagious especially when there is a lot of energy in the thought such as the panic mind set or the mob mind set, but I also think that there is a more subtle thought energy that is shared by people who share the same type of ethical beliefs or artistic patterns.
If you have not already seen it I would recommend that you check out a movie called ;"The Weeping Camel" There is a very real connection with music shared between all the creatures of the earth and every one of us including plant life have a harmonic resonance that can be discovered. They do this in the movie to heal a Camel and restore her to harmony with her baby after a long labor. It is a fascinating movie. I watched it many times to get the whole impact of what happened during the filming of this documentary.
We live in an amazing world and are truly connected to everything that is in it.
We humans are stewards and would that we all could see and hear the connecting notes.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  05:50:51 AM  Show Profile
Clare, I do understand what you mean. It is weird but ever since I was a small child I always had this "thing" for nature. Even as a teen when everyone else was into boys, all kinds of girly things, I would be up a tree! I climbed more trees in my lifetime and I still get the urge and yes, I still climb trees. One of my favorite things in life is still climbing trees. I sit up there & think, pray, cry, whatever, it is my "safe place" still. I always feel as though the tree is cradling me as silly as it may sound. With my husband illness comes alot of stress and when I cant get to a tree for whatever reason I sit on my patio in peace because my wild flowers are taller then me and I have privacy, but it doesnt beat the tree. God gave me this incredible love for nature and I try to always use it wisely and respectfully. Michele

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  07:33:36 AM  Show Profile
Eileen, are you talking like the invisible energies of the chaos theory? All molecules are energy. All energy is in motion at varying speeds. All around us at all times.

Aren't the molecules that vibrate at slower speeds what we presently perceive as a tree?
Would the hyper fast vibrating ones be the invisible energy of our thoughts? When you speak openly from your heart and the hearts of others seem to open?
Isn't the only difference between the tree and Clare or Michele the configuration and speed of their molecules?
Don't the Buddhist call this mindfulness when we tap in to, what say, how a dog knows the earthquake is coming or like when as a mom knows her baby is getting close to edge or danger.

Where did you catch this movie?

What do you all think about energy attracting like energy? The positivity of the tree attracting the positive thoughts from Clare and Michele? The trees are helping them to vibrate at the same harmonic level?
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  07:48:12 AM  Show Profile
Taken me a bit to go back and digest these pages! Cool thoughts that go in different directions with a couple pages. I’ve walked labyrinths.
http://www.knowth.com/labyrinth-ard.htm

megalithic art is all spiral driven isn't it?
I keep a mary garden to trot off to every morning to meditate.
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  08:30:09 AM  Show Profile
Oh Ellen, to have a labyrinth such as the one in your link! That would be great!

As for your questions:

Aren't the molecules that vibrate at slower speeds what we presently perceive as a tree? my understanding is yes
Would the hyper fast vibrating ones be the invisible energy of our thoughts? yes, as well as Spirit/Creator/Universal Knowledge
When you speak openly from your heart and the hearts of others seem to open? YES!! provided they are open to it.
Isn't the only difference between the tree and Clare or Michele the configuration and speed of their molecules? yes, my vibration being different from theirs.
Don't the Buddhist call this mindfulness when we tap in to, what say, how a dog knows the earthquake is coming or like when as a mom knows her baby is getting close to edge or danger. I believe this is correct. Also could be called Intuition.

Where did you catch this movie? On Eileen's advise I also watched the movie. I found it at the regular video store. It is subtitled. Very good.

What do you all think about energy attracting like energy? The positivity of the tree attracting the positive thoughts from Clare and Michele? The trees are helping them to vibrate at the same harmonic level? I make a conscious decision to be in tune with nature. When we do that is when we become open to the vibrations that are happening all around us. It is then that we think beyond ourselves.
megalithic art is all spiral driven isn't it? to the best of my knowledge, yes. This is the way energy flows, and is a reflection of that. I walk my spiral daily. Very grounding and cleansing for me.

**** Love is the great work - though every heart is first an apprentice. - Hafiz

Edited by - Clare on Aug 12 2005 08:45:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  10:03:40 AM  Show Profile
Clare, now you got me wondering are we like tiny fish surrounded by a field of water but unable to see this water? Does what is going on in this field send out waves that affect us? Likewise, what we do and ***think*** sends out waves into this field around us? Man, I'm creating tidal waves! How do we block the negative thoughts from seeing how to best get to our goals?

If you are in tune,like you mentioned, are you aware when you shifted your awareness from the ordinary? Was it in that moment when you tapped into the energy? Did you feel in that moment like you had a map to the path you need to take?

Is it intuition or synchronicity or the collective unconscious?
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile
Well, Ellen, I certainly do not have all the answers and am continually learning and growing and accepting as I am able to grasp new concepts. Here's the short answers to your questions, for to go in depth takes more time/space than we have here, plus I may not know the complete answers yet... in fact, I'm pretty sure of that!

Now you got me wondering are we like tiny fish surrounded by a field of water but unable to see this water? Does what is going on in this field send out waves that affect us? I believe so. Like the consciousness of a collective. Our govt. is an example

Likewise, what we do and ***think*** sends out waves into this field around us? Absolutely!!!! All thought is creative. What we send out comes back.. hence a very good reason not to dwell on negative thoughts.

Man, I'm creating tidal waves! How do we block the negative thoughts from seeing how to best get to our goals? By consciously choosing to re-frame our thoughts and experiences knowing them to be those that are happening for our greater good, for our own evolution in this life experience, and knowing that "the light" does no harm. Know that you can be surrounded by the light and live in the light of this universal love.

If you are in tune, like you mentioned, are you aware when you shifted your awareness from the ordinary? I'm an extremely human, evolving woman, so some days are more conscious than others, depending on what's going on in my life. I'm learning to be grounded in it no matter what is happening.
Was it in that moment when you tapped into the energy? I don't know that I can identify one moment. I do know what got me started was questioning life. I'm 52 now, so at about 42 I was asking all the BIG questions, wondering if life was just suffering, then death. A girl friend said, "You need to read 'this' book". And that's what got me started on this journey.
Did you feel in that moment like you had a map to the path you need to take? This has been a gradual thing for me. First there was learning that this even existed. Second there was trying to wrap my mind around the concept. Third there was being open to see if this would indeed be happening in my life. Fourth there was knowing, without a doubt, that it is happening whether I am conscious of it or not. Fifth there is deciding that YES, it is real and I'm going to experience it... just being in a positive frame about it attracts the understanding into your life.

Is it intuition or synchronicity or the collective unconscious? I think they all work in unision.

Edited by - Clare on Aug 12 2005 12:03:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

ByHzGrace
True Blue Farmgirl

348 Posts

348 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2005 :  12:03:16 PM  Show Profile
Clare
Thanks for taking the time to answer my ponderings. I am literally pond ering. I am clearing out around our pond and fixing to add a pump to get a little action/sound. Keep running in on my water/lunch/tea breaks to catch up with you here. Kinda nice to find somebody inside to chat. Now if you could just fan me. LOL just kidding LOL I do enjoy finding somebody to bounce my thought off.

The pond has a good supply of duck weed/water hyacinths/lilys/cattails and papyrus. The herons have been roosting near by so who knows if the fish are all gone. It is being over run by the vines...so I'm trying to look at the chaos theory like looking underneath all these vines. I realize uncertainty affects every teeny weeny electron and we don’t know if those electrons are going to live life as a particle or a wave …kinda unsettling.
So do I have a bet on my lumpy chunk of the universe?
Meditation for me has been like one of those shake up snow domes thingies.I have to wait for the flaky stuff in my mind to settle down before I can see what I truly need.

Renovation has become my motion.I'm pulling struggling on these vines bent over:::grunt grumble puff puff::: it isn’t some big chain wrapped around here, if I sit back relax and use my body's ballast to tow them out, they are just twigs. The 1000vine mess begins with one pull.

Anybody got any clues on how to keep the honeysuckle from the grape? Got crafty ideas on what to do with grape vines? My other stumper is how to get a old horse trough over there to step down as a spill off/waterfall into the pond...so I can babble with the brook. ;)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Gardens and Yards as Spiritual work Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page