delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  12:09:35 PM  Show Profile
My son was just let go from WalMart. He is deaf and was having a hard time with the test that they require and then today they let him go all together and said it was because he was to slow. He uses sign language and could not answer the customers questions. I am very upset and disappointed and will probably cry but, I have a five O'clock appointment and can not leave work now. I just wanted to vent. Thanks for letting me.
delicia

Old Spirit
True Blue Farmgirl

1498 Posts

Rae
MN
1498 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  12:12:58 PM  Show Profile
Prayers out to you and your son. Too bad the almighty dollar is so important now a days!!

Hugs
Rae

Farm Girl #647

...those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles:...
Isaiah 40:31

Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  12:22:41 PM  Show Profile
awwww that stinks!

(((HUGS)))

...vent away!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  12:42:59 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that some kind of discrimination???

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:41:36 PM  Show Profile
I second what Angie says...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:44:26 PM  Show Profile
It is discrimination, I'm sorry for your son, that's tough.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Mama Jewel
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Jewel
Sweet Peas Farmette, Bend, OR
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:45:00 PM  Show Profile
Ohh Delicia. I'm so sorry to hear that about your son. Are things so rushed these days that people can't be more tolerant of others with sp needs? arrgh (I have 3 of 4 children w/sp needs). Very sad & frustrating. I know when I'm in a store w/someone (helper or shopper) who appears to have SN of some sort, *they're* the ones I tend to converse with and enjoy because they have *heart* From one mama to another: a big ol hug: mwah! xoxo

Farm Girl Sister #1683 Living Simply & Naturally on our lil Sweet Peas Farmette
"Do Everything in Love." 1 Cor 14
http://www.piecemama.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:46:02 PM  Show Profile
As an aside, I've seen other deaf/hearing impaired retail workers. They communicate by writing on a pad. Customers don't seem to have any issue with that as long as they're helped.

Walmart sucks!

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page

Tn.Earthmama
True Blue Farmgirl

451 Posts

Phyllis
Englewood Tennessee
451 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  1:49:25 PM  Show Profile
the Americans with disabilities act requires that they try to find a job he can do with his disability. I would consult a lawyer, and I'm not prone to suing. perhaps he could work in the warehouse or somewhere he doesn't need to answer questions from the customers?? I'm sorry that he has been treated so shabbily. Phyllis
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  2:35:45 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry for your son. It is hard on self-esteem when being let go. I think I would look into it though. See if maybe they can place him somewhere else in the company. Sometimes our children's trials are harder on us Mom's than they are on them. Hugs to you and your son.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Diane B Carter
True Blue Farmgirl

1270 Posts

Diane
Blasdell N.Y.
USA
1270 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  2:48:06 PM  Show Profile
I am sorry for your son..I hope he finds a better job soon.

Hope all your days are Sunnydays.
dianebcarterhotmailcom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  4:23:25 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your support and kind words. They said that he was too slow checking the fruit. He is blind to the left of either eye because when he was 13 he had a brain aneurysim and that caused his vision problem. He was born deaf and then with the eye issues later it is hard. He is such a great person and really functions very well. He graduated from College in up state New York but, can not find a job in his line. It is graphics with computers. I know that God has something better for him it is just hard for me to see him struggle when it appears to come so easy for others. I know that I am not walking in their shoes and that all people have struggles it is just hard to see your child hurt. You are all wonderful and make me feel much better. Thank you so much.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  4:53:29 PM  Show Profile
The Americans with Disabilities Act has a clause which states that an employer MUST provide "reasonable accommodation". It sound like Wal-Mart didn't in this case, especially since they were aware of his disability. I would talk to a lawyer. This is not up for negotiation; the employer MUST obey the law.
cindy

"There is more to life than increasing its speed". Mahatma Gandhi

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

nana5
True Blue Farmgirl

312 Posts

Rebecca
Jackson MI
USA
312 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  5:47:36 PM  Show Profile
My prayers are with you both.
Rebecca

Everyday is a new beginning.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  6:43:02 PM  Show Profile
First let me say that I am sorry for your son's loss. Second I totally agree with everyone else that is telling you to consult a lawyer..again I am not one to yell "sue" at the first sign of "trouble" but this crosses the line! He was hired, knowing that he had a disability- to fire him because of it is just plain wrong!
I wish you both the best and can totally relate to what you said about it being so hard to see your child hurt.
Best of luck to the both of you- I know God has much bigger and better plans for him.
Smiles,
Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  10:21:33 PM  Show Profile
I'm so sorry for your son, Delicia. Dang it, I become distraught when things like this happen. There are times that suits are in order, and I would say this is one of those times! I would encourage you to contact an attorney! And I also agree with Laurie, God has much bigger and better plans for him!! Hugs and Smiles, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  07:49:43 AM  Show Profile
delicia, you fight girl. they have OTHER jobs he could do. i agree you and your son need to see the manager about this. fight back mama sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bart
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

115 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  07:53:07 AM  Show Profile
I, also, urge you not to let this go. Walmart has a history of discrimination and should not be allowed to continue with it. Please, for your son and any other challenged citizen - fight them.

I'm so sorry for him. I hope he knows that it's not him - it's Walmarts Bad!
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  07:57:05 AM  Show Profile
Just another notch in the WalMart screws the world belt. I hate Walmart!

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  08:07:55 AM  Show Profile
Walmart new when they hired him he was deaf. They should have realized the situation then and besides why couldn't he justs stock their items and not have to have a problem with answering customers. I hate that store anyway. Yesterday I was there picked up a pair of pants that had 3
not just 1 but 3 price markdowns of the same amount they were shorts and all are marked down the girl tried to tell me they were marked wrong and looked at me as if I had done it. By rights she should have sold them to me for that amount that is our state law, but no she just didn't care if she sold them or not.
Jill
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  08:36:36 AM  Show Profile
Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Hope he finds a job doing something he loves to do soon. That will show stinky Walmart, lol! That was so totally unfair, poor kid. Give him lots of hugs from us and know that we are all backing him up and sending you all good wishes.

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

delicia
True Blue Farmgirl

917 Posts

delicia
cincinnati ohio
USA
917 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  08:59:35 AM  Show Profile
Well another day and we are both feeling better. I have a cousin who is an attorney and I am going to contact her and see if she can send a letter or something to The Powers that be at WalMart. I never want him to go back there and I will not be shopping there. I only want them to realize the damage that one person can do to someone who is trying hard to just lead a normal life. He is just a really good person and it hurts my heart that he has to try twice as hard as most people. You have as always been so good and nurturing and I will give him a hug from his friends at Mary Janes.
delicia
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  10:18:25 AM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
that's awful. hugs to both you and your son. hope he finds another job where he is treated better.

hugs~ Melanie

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

Blog~ http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/

Swap Blog~ http://mels-swapshop.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  12:05:40 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend with a mentally challenged son who works at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart let him go, but his mom called the main office. It was looked into, and her son was hired back. Good luck. Hugs to both of you.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  2:31:36 PM  Show Profile
I live in Walmart country,near the home offices. It is so far away from what Sam Walton created, in my opinion. My prayers go out to your son to find an employer who values him, not uses him.
Go to Top of Page

OneCraftyBugger
True Blue Farmgirl

626 Posts

R

USA
626 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2010 :  7:25:35 PM  Show Profile
Walmart flipping stinks!

Oh happy day! Farmgirl sister #1485
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheFeltedGnome
http://bellasaysitsso.blogspot.com/
http://theswappingcrafter.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Son let go from WalMart Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page