EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - May 21 2006 :  07:00:53 AM  Show Profile
There are many wonderful herbs that help with fibromyalgia. I have had FM for years and only take prescription meds when I absolutely need to. There was a time when the pain was so bad I wore a Fentenol (not sure of spelling) patch that you were supposed to wear for 3 days. Well, I would wear mine for 24 hrs and start vomitting. There are still times, not many - when I do need to take a pain pill, but I have now learned the most important thing you can do with fibro is rest when your body tells you to. So hard to do with 10 dogs, over 10 cats, 2 goats, 23 chickens and two miniature horses running around - opps, toss in one husband lol - but really, when I have relapsed, it has been due to stressing myself out way too much.

Okay - tried and true - Lemon Balm - it is good for so many things. Use it as a tea, as a compress, as a tincture. Lifts the mood. Chamomile for sleeping trouble, Valerian also for sleep troubles and anxiety. Also, passionflower for sleeping difficulties. It is important to let your doctor know of any herbs/supplements you are taking or planning on using, especially if you are taking prescription medications or you are pregnant. Consult your doctor before beginning any herbal treatment please.
Lavendar is wonderful for lifting the spirits - just smell lavendar and try to be unhappy! Get some essential oil - make sure it is pure essential oil from a reputable company Aura Casia makes wonderful oils - mix with grapeseed or other massage oil and massage yourself before bed, better yet, get someone to massage you. Keep a small vial of the essential oil with you and sniff it throughout the day when you feel stressed. Put some drops of essential oil in the tub when you take a bath....pure heaven. Do not use any essential oil full strength on the skin -some can hurt you, although, lavendar is not one of them and originally was used by a scientist for a bad burn.
Ginger root is excellent for your digestion. I keep fresh root in the house all the time. Cut in very thin slices (peel it first) and then mash it in a mortar and pestle and infuse with honey and a few lemon slices - add this mixture to a teapot with a white or green teabag - white and green tea are excellent antioxidants! Ginger just makes you feel warm all over! Add some wild strawberry leaves to your tea, they have the highest vitamin C content in them - if you grow unsprayed raspberry plants, add some raspberry leaves to your tea.

Cayenne - yup, I said cayenne - they use this in many salves and ointment for muscle pain - Do not get in your eyes or on mucus membranes. If you can hack it, eat hot peppers.
Black Cohosh - good for rheumatic and neuro pain - also a hormone balancer.

Supplements that help - Magnesium - take it at dinner time and it will help you sleep through the night.
CoQ10 - great for muscle function -also if you are taking any meds for lowering your cholesterol, taking this with it will help prevent any leg pain - check with your dr.
You need B vitamins desperately - make sure you take folic acid, B12 and B6 - Buy your vitamins from a souce with an excellent reputation.

Ladies, I have done much research on this topic - if you have any questions, please ask me. I do have links to articles I have written regarding essential oils and some specific herbs. I am also a student of Natural Health through Clayton College of Natural Health.
Fibromyalgia is no fun - but I have never let it stop me - and never will. All those wonderful plants are here for a reason!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

karen lee
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Karen
Reynoldsville PA
USA
33 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  05:04:02 AM  Show Profile
I have FM too iv'e had to go part time at work i am in housekepping at a hospital.I also have Thyroid trouble the Dr has me on Cymbalta its been 6 weeks not helping with pain yet.I do all the vitamins but have never tryed herbs.Sleep is bad i flip around like a fish out of water oh for a good nights sleep.I do grow some herbs mints for tea and i do have lemon balm. Thanks for all the good info. If any one wants to chat about FM jest EM me at craftcampkaren@gmail.com

Karen Lee
Go to Top of Page

prairiemomma
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Cherri
McPherson KS
USA
33 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  08:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Click to see prairiemomma's MSN Messenger address
What wonderful information! I too have FM and have just started on the B-6 and B-12 and am noticing improvements already. I hadn't thought about the CoQ10 though. How true about the lavender! Thanks for the great suggestions!

Living simply with hopefulness and joy!
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  08:36:02 AM  Show Profile
Kathy, got my lemon balm when I got home yesterday. Thanks! I'm going to try it right away!

Blessed be,
Patricia

Come visit my Etsy store at www.chezPatricia.etsy.com
Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2006 :  11:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Don't recall if I mentioned this, but Schiff makes a product called Move Free that has Glucosamine Chondroitin but it also has MSM - This is a very good supplement for joint pain - has helped my knees tremendously.

You will find that the Lemon Balm really helps - I am brewing a fresh batch now and will be making others this summer!

http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2006 :  2:20:19 PM  Show Profile
My son-in-law's mom has struggled with fibromyalgia for many, many years. She went on a raw foods diet, and fresh squeezed carrot juice, and went from a wheelchair to being very active today (she is a piano teacher). Go to the Hallelujah Acres website and see what she used. It worked miracles for her.

Peace
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  6:02:52 PM  Show Profile
I know I should eat more fresh food - no excuse for me - I am glad she is well. I have good times and bad. This weather here in NJ is bad for fibro. Right now we are being plagued by gypsy moth caterpillars. All you hear is caterpillars eating the oak trees and pooping out on the ground. It is disgusting. Yick

Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  1:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Hi Kathy and all ~
I too have Fibro, but also have a Thyroid problem, i.e., Hypothyroidism. Kathy, if you have done your homework thoroughly, you know that Lemon Balm (and some other herbs)are not to be taken in excess by people with thyroid problems. It depresses the gland even more and will make you very, very tired. Others are: Basil, Oregano, Thyme, etc. which have anti-thyroid chems in them. A little bit of Lemon Balm in cooking and as a tea is fine, of course, but when you use herbs as tinctures, as I do, then the concentrated dosages can be harmful. I know, I've tried them! :{ But for people who have no thyroid problems, Lemon Balm is all the good you have reported, and more! Thanks for the info!
Stella in Australia
Starting my own Herb/Garden Design business soon
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  9:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Stella ~ How wonderful to hear from someone from Down Under! And thanks for the good information. I never cease to be amazed by what can be accomplished by farmgirls!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  9:58:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the infor, everything in moderation - I was discussing fibro and of course, I am not a medical doctor and don't pretend to be - I would suggest to anyone taking any herbal product to discuss with their family physician beforehand. The same rings true for any over-the-counter medications or supplements, as even vitamins can wreck havoc with certain conditions.
Blessed Be!

Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2006 :  10:01:31 PM  Show Profile
FYI I also know that many thyroid problems are often missed by medical drs as the tests (T3 T4 Thyroid Uptake) results are not really accurate and often a test will come back with results within a normal range when in fact a person does have a thyroid condition. It is a jungle out there in the medical field - I encourage anyone to research their condition thoroughly.

Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2006 :  10:55:11 AM  Show Profile
Kathy,

That scares me. My sister had thyroid cancer and had one half removed. Then, the other half had to go. She encouraged me to have the test (can't remember which one at the moment) and I did request it. Dr. says it was okay. But, I had a bunch of other things tested (cholesterol, etc) at my checkup and I even wonder if he really had that test run!! Makes me crazy. What should I do?

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  4:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Although I use herbs for many things, including health maintenance, I had to throw in my kitchen-witch towel many years ago when I became nearly incapacitated with fibromyalgia. Having studied with David Hoffmann and being, I thought, pretty well-versed in how to manage on my own, I gave herbal treatment a good long try -- almost a year, concentrating on supporting my immune and neurological systems -- along with shiatsu massage therapy, exercise (until I couldn't handle it any longer), and relaxation techniques. Of all these things, I think only the massage really helped, but only temporarily, and it got to be pretty expensive.

I finally caved in and consulted a very good doctor who had recently published an article on depression as an often-overlooked cause of what we call fibromyalgia. He tested me for thyroid problems and Lyme disease (including one test developed by researchers at Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, DC for use when the standard test is inconclusive, as was true in my case, ).

Long story short, he put me on a low dose of Zoloft, and over about three weeks, the pain I'd been sufferig with for over a year just melted away. It was dramatic, too; I really was conscious of the pain reduction day by day. After three months on Zoloft, I tapered off successfully and have never been troubled by this horrifying condition again.

Although this doctor respected my preference for natural healing methods and actually approved wholeheartedly of many oof them, he teased me a little at our last meeting by saying, "So, Rosemary, how do you think we're doing in the 20th century with this 'modern medicine' thing?"

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  7:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh my! I am thankful for this thread!! I have FM and connective tissue desease (they are not sure which one)

I was diagnossed with the connective tissue when I was 19 in nursing school and my world it seemed to close in around me. I tried the steroids for a while after I got pericarditist(sp) and would gush blood from my gums when stressed and a LOT of pain, swelling in my joints and really high fevers to name a few. But all that did was make me feel misrable and gain a bunch of weight so I got off after about a year. I was then DX after my twins were born (about 5 years ago now) with FM. You know the points they check and if you have I think 50% of them you have FM...well I had 100%. The doctor said she believed that I had it all along but because of my Connective tissue disorder it went undiagnosed. She was willing to priscribe all kinds of things but I am a very stong minded person with a very high pain tolerance so I try to stay off all meds until I must use them so I do not build a resistance to anything I may someday REALLY need. There are somedays I can not make it through without motrin but most days I take nothing. But I am so eager to try these natural things!!! The main things I deal with now are fevers, PAIN, lack of sleep, and problems with my heart. I have to be very careful with my heart because after a few things it has been weakened, UTI's and my kidneys. I really try to manage my stress better and have not gushed blood for years now which is great and do not have many UTI's anymore either...but other then that I am alive and good and plan to live a great fulfilling life !!!

A BIG Thank You to those who are posting and a BIG HUG to Kathy for starting this post. Although I would not wish these terrible things on the devil (who to me is the worst person ever) It is reassuring to know others have it and have found ways to live through it and understand what I am going through.

Hugz to you all and heres to beating FM's butt!!!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  9:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
Greetings, Ladies ~
It is nice to see posts in this forum! And very interesting to see how each one deals with the Fibro.
BLUEROSES, not wanting to usurp Kathy's place here, but I too have thyroid problems and to answer this query: "But, I had a bunch of other things tested (cholesterol, etc) at my checkup and I even wonder if he really had that test run!! Makes me crazy. What should I do?" I would say
GET ANOTHER OPINION! Simple as that. Don't stay in doubt because one doctor didn't perform their professional duty ~ seek the advice of another trusted professional.

ROSEMARY: I am really intrigued by your experience with depression and pain. I can certainly see how Zoloft can work to alleviate the former, but the latter? It is quite a mystery as to the connection there. Do you know what it is? I am in constant pain myself, especially since starting a job in a plant nursery where I lift heavy trays and trolleys full of potted plants. My desperate measure was to go see a doctor, too, but to ask for a potent, though least harmful, pain-killer. He gave me "Diclofenac Sodium" and it works well, even now that I've cut down the dosage from 3 to 2 pills a day. I also take, in much lower dosage, my own herbal tincture of Willow Bark and Feverfew, to stop my chronic migraine and to help me at night, when the Diclofenac has worn off. I too am very loyal to my herbal remedies, but I certainly can understand why you had to rely on a prescribed remedy. But Zoloft stopping the pain? I don't get it. Can you enlighten me on how it can do that? For my depression, I take Evening Primrose Oil capsules, 3,000 mg a day, Brahmi (Bacopa monieri), Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus)and Catnip (Nepeta cataria). Both Brahmi and Siberian Ginseng also give me energy and mental clarity, which I seriously need. I am slowly organising myself and my surroundings with written down routines so I won't have to rely on my faulty memory so much. But the Brahmi helps there, too!

BUTTERCUP, I have a question for you, too. What's "UTI's"? I'm quite empathic with your situation, as I have gingivitis and had to have lots of work done on my teeth last summer to save them. Now I take good care of them by gargling with a Sage Tincture (Salvia officinalis, plain Garden Sage) and "Listerine" which has Thymol and Cineole from Eucalyptus in it.

Loving Bright Blessings to all! Let's keep up the communications!
Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  9:17:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
In regards to INSOMNIA...

There are several excellent herbs that can work, but you have to try and see which ones work for you. Valerian is great, but I found that after a while, I had to take more and more to get the effect I needed. Lemon Balm is good, too, but using it a lot is not good for those with Thyroid problems, me included, so I stopped that as well. The best combination for me so far is:
~ Evening Primrose Oil, a regular regimen of 3,000 mg a day, including the last one with my evening meal
~ Calcium and Magnesium (and D3 & Vit.C for absorption)1,000 mg a day.
~ 30 drops of Catnip tincture at bedtime. I make my own from Nepeta cataria by using Brandy and fresh tops of the herb, steeped for seven days.

I haven't had insomnia for months, after having been plagued with it for years! Love those herbs and supplements!

Blessings, Stella
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2006 :  9:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Ohhh sorry Stellaraye!! ( I really should learn to speak english!! LOL )

A UTI is an urinary tract infection and the blood from my gums had nothing to do with any gum or tooth problems, it was from stress and the reaction of my body when subjected to it...just loads of fun I am! And I am very sorry for the problems you have with gingivitist, I have known people with the same difficulty and it is awful! I am so glad you found something to help!!

And I totally agree with getting a second opinion! Thank Goodness for those!
Til Next Time...

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Edited by - Buttercup on Jul 06 2006 9:22:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2006 :  10:43:50 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Stellaraye

Greetings, Ladies ~
It is nice to see posts in this forum! And very interesting to see how each one deals with the Fibro.

<snip>

ROSEMARY: I am really intrigued by your experience with depression and pain. I can certainly see how Zoloft can work to alleviate the former, but the latter? It is quite a mystery as to the connection there. Do you know what it is?

The physician I consulted in about 1993 at the Washington Clinic in Chevy Chase, MD, was/is(?) an expert on fibromyalgia. He had produced a paper that year linking fibromyalgia to depression -- not so much a matter of depression causing the fobromyalgia as something else causing both, I believe. In my case, as in that of many other of his patients, I responded quickly to Zoloft and took myself off it as soon as I could, because I don't like to take drugs if I don't have to.

If you understand how Zoloft works, it may be easier to understand my it helped me. Rather than being an "upper" -- or a "happy pill" of some sort -- Zoloft is one of those antianxiety medications, called "selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors" (SSRIs) that act on the chemical functions of the brain to correct imbalances that can cause a variety of problems, including Attention Deficit Disorder, from which -- not surprisingly -- a form of which I recently discovered I've been fighting for all my life. Zoloft and other similar drugs, such as Strattera (a "norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor"), which I take regularly now by the way, are prescribed for many adults afflicted (or blessed!) with ADD, to help them focus and think more clearly, approach responsibilities with more confidence, help tone down external distractions (the annoying conversation at the next table that you wish you could ignore), that can be so stressful to ADD sufferers, and avoid some of the emotional upheavals associated with the condition.

I am in constant pain myself, especially since starting a job in a plant nursery where I lift heavy trays and trolleys full of potted plants.

Stellaraye, could it be that you are lifting things too fast, or incorrectly, thus putting undue stress on your muscles and joints? It could be that this new job requires you to use your body in new ways, waking up parts of yourself that have never operated that way before, and setting off a chain reaction of "owies"? Maybe you could consult the wrestling coach at your local high school, or some other fitness guru, who could give you some helpful tips about strength and leverage issues.

My desperate measure was to go see a doctor, too, but to ask for a potent, though least harmful, pain-killer. He gave me "Diclofenac Sodium" and it works well, even now that I've cut down the dosage from 3 to 2 pills a day. I also take, in much lower dosage, my own herbal tincture of Willow Bark and Feverfew, to stop my chronic migraine and to help me at night, when the Diclofenac has worn off. I too am very loyal to my herbal remedies, but I certainly can understand why you had to rely on a prescribed remedy. But Zoloft stopping the pain? I don't get it. Can you enlighten me on how it can do that? For my depression, I take Evening Primrose Oil capsules, 3,000 mg a day, Brahmi (Bacopa monieri), Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus senticosus)and Catnip (Nepeta cataria). Both Brahmi and Siberian Ginseng also give me energy and mental clarity, which I seriously need. I am slowly organising myself and my surroundings with written down routines so I won't have to rely on my faulty memory so much. But the Brahmi helps there, too!

I have never heard of using Evening Primrose Oil as a primary defense against depression. It is generally indicated for treatment of many kinds of chronic inflammatory disease, including multiple sclerosis and even fibrocystic breasts. In any case, I think you are taking way too much of it. Two 500mg capsules daily is more than enough, especially if you also cook regularly with extra virgin olive oil, or eat salmon, and so on, as additional sources of essential fatty acids. Please remember that herbs are drugs. You can OD on them, even the ones with pretty names!

For those who can grow their own, or in some other way monitor its potency, St. John's Wort is more commonly prescribed by Herbalists for chronic depression, but as with any condition evidenced in the emotions, even if it's caused by something physical, it's always wise to look first at environmental causes for depression: unhappy relationships, unfulfilling work, poor diet, too little healthful exercise, not enough private time to relax, meditate, regroup, and so on. Only after these practical matters are examined and addressed should we be looking to medicate.

I'll bet you know that no one herbal medicine should be used to treat any one condition, and certainly not without expert advice. I'm bringing this up more for the benefit of others who might read this. Don't just take somebody's word for how "expert" they are (including me!) Ask to see (not just hear about) their credentials. Ask who they studied with and check out THEIR credentials. Discuss their philosophy of healing with them in detail. Talk to others who have worked with or been treated by them.

Be smart about what you allow into or onto your body. It's the only one you'll ever have.

<snip>

Loving Bright Blessings to all! Let's keep up the communications!

Back at you, sister! Blessed be!

Edited by - Rosemary on Jul 09 2006 10:51:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Stellaraye
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stella
Grande-Digue NB
Canada
25 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  02:24:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Stellaraye an ICQ Message
hi Rosemary ~
I just want to say that I thank you for your concern, but I do know what I am doing where herbs are concerned. :) I am an herbalist, after all, and a plant scientist. The Evening Primrose is The BEST thing for my depression, because it contains chemicals that delay the serotonin-reuptake mechanism in the brain, therefore I am much calmer and patient when I take it. No, I'm sorry to say, I am not taking 'too much'~ this amount is the exact amount recommended by many naturopaths/medical doctors for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue sufferers like me. I have been taking (and studying) EPO for about 22 years; I don't just use it because it has a pretty name!
I have pain regardless of whether I lift heavy pots or trolleys, or not! I have pain BECAUSE I have Fibromyalgia... it has nothing to do with my occupation or the way I use my arms/body, etc.

I AM smart about what I allow into my body, thank you. In fact, I did try to use Saint John's Wort twice, each instant separated by a whole year. Each time I almost went BLIND! SJW contains powerful chemicals that make anyone/thing eating it extra photo-sensitive. Take cows or sheep, for example. They eat enough of it and they not only go blind, but they turn white and die. NO, I am not joking. We studied it in College and it is not pretty. Some manufacturers have a small warning saying "don't go out into the sun taking this herb." Ha!!!!!!!! They don't say you can go blind and become extremely sunburned, though! But you can. It is a VERY dangerous drug.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I appreciate your comments about my choice of herbs, but I do know better what I should use and why I am using it. It is up to each of us to do our own research about what we need. Thankfully, there are enough different herbs to meet everyone's individual needs. Mother Nature provides!

Loving Blessings as well.
Stllaraye
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2006 :  8:40:01 PM  Show Profile
annart, there are many causes of FM. I've never used artifical sweeteners of any kind (alone or in other products) and I've had it for over 30 years.

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2006 :  08:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Emily,
I am sure artificial things cause all kinds of problems. And it may trigger/cause FM. But as was already said there are many triggers for FM and so much they still do not know. But I too have never used artificial sweetener, grew up in a very strict and health conscience home and I got FM at 19 they believe and was finally Dxd 6 years back. Maybe the termination of use helps some with problems that may be exacerbated by artificial sweetener, but I have not seen anything that shows it causes it and for me, it couldn't have been the cause. And the systoms I suffer can not all be arthritis. But I am so glad that it helped you!!! I think diet can make a huge difference in so many things and I am so thrilled that you found a way to help with your suffering!!! Thanks for the tip!!!
Hugz!!

Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  9:24:56 PM  Show Profile
I believe that any time we are excessively exposed to one chemical, our bodies can build a sensetivity to that particular chemical. I agree that the artificial sweeteners can cause or aggravate FM symptoms, but not in every case. You may have developed a sensetivity to the artificial sweeteners and felt better after eliminating it from your diet. I have a lot of chemical sensetivities that stem from leaky gut syndrome which is thought to be caused by an overgrowth of Candida. It's hard to say what has caused my fibromyalgia, but I think in my case there are a lot of different factors. I didn't listen to the warning signs that my body was giving me years ago and I was taking care of everyone except myself. I've had a lot of emotionally tramatic events over my life time. My naturopath told me that food and chemical sensetivities can also be caused from the emotional experiences we have in relation to the food or chemical. I think the list could go on and on. It's kind of the "which comes first, the chicken or the egg?" theory.

Just last week my chiropractor asked if I was using aspartame or msg. They are thought to increase pain in people with FM. I don't use either and try to eat mostly freshly made foods and stay away from refined sugar as much as possible. Processed foods are definately a bad idea for those with FM because of all the chemicals, preservatives and lack of nutritional value. organic,Fresh and locally purchased is best when possible.

I'm sure I'm not saying anything that most of you don't already know, but figured I would share my thoughts on the issue.

Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
http://LamargueriteFarm.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2006 :  11:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Emily,
I do not feel you are a "know it all" And I do not disput that there may be a connection or trigger between FM and artificial sweetner. After all they already found a conection between that and cancer, so why not. The reaction you may feel is not because none of us believe you or think you have flipped but because you seem to be overlooking the fact that many of us may have already thought of such things, or tried such things, or be already health conscience to the point that we do not use such things. I am the later, I have known for years that artificial sweetner is bad, and for that matter anything artificial is. I was never into the "lower caloree so must be better" surge that flooded America. I do not use any perscription or non perscription drugs other then the occasional Motrin when the pain is too hard to bear ...nothing. I do not nor have I ever drunk diet sodas. And I do not use nor buy things with artificial sweetner. I want pure sugar or honey or molasses...but nothing artificial...and I do not have SOME of the points... I have 100%. Every point they check was not just painful but unbarable for the doctor to touch, and this from someone who has a VERY high pain tolerence.
So please do not feel ignored or like we feel badly toward you, just understand that many have "been there done that" when it comes to health and what they do or do not eat, and already have cut that from their diet YEARS ago ...or like me never used it. If your theroy were true, I would have been cured...actually I would have never gotten this horrible disease in the first place. I am glad that for you it was the key and am hopeful it will help others, but unfortunately, it can not help all of us.
If it were up to me there would not be ANYTHING chemical or artificial in any food anywhere! I believe strongly it is poison to our systems...but for me it is not the cause nor cure.
Hugz Always!!!

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2006 :  9:38:41 PM  Show Profile
I posted ages ago about being diagnosed with FM and being frustrated that the info is so wide and varied. What is really hard is that this illness comes under the umbrella of this name but affects so many of us in different ways. We all enter the world with the same "equipment" so to speak but each of us is just like a car in many ways. How have we been maintained? What were we driven through and how were we driven? Each of us has had unique exposures, experiences and respond individually. The things that affect me adversely may not bother another and that is medically hard to treat.
I had Lyme disease that went untreated for 6 mths and there is a school of thought that this provokes FM as your body reacts to and attacks itself.
My Dr. has been my advocate and discussed with me options, alternate plans and treatments and has encouraged me to be as involved in discovering my treatment as he is. Only once did he tell me that he didn't recommend something I questioned him about. This is a hard disease to live with and an even harder disease to treat.I understand the frustration I hear because if truth be known none of us want to be in pain and know that someone elses treatment doesn't work for us. So with that being said I will share what has helped
me. Sublingual B vitamin tincture twice a day, plenty of sleep when I can get it, eating small regular meals with rich leafy greens, avoiding beef (I don't seem to digest it very well), avoiding all the nightshade plants (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, etc), regular massages, only organic dairy, no caffeine but the good news is that sugar doesn't seem to bother me. I have tried to switch to as much homemade/homegrown as possible to control the organic factor and shop organic (Whole Foods here) when I can't provide it myself. I also went to a pain management clinic where they suggested a meditation like approach but with a twist. They asked me what I did
to relax and what elevated my mood and I said music. They suggested listening to music I enjoy when I feel a painful episode coming on.
I now use this technique for falling asleep with headphones. I just drift off and have been sleeping more deeply as well. I hate to mention them but WalMart and Target have a section with "mood" type
cds and they are very relaxing. When I am having a protracted period of insomnia which always seems to accompany increased pain I do take pain meds to cope and make no apologies for it. If I were diabetic I would take insulin. My body does not produce enough of the pain management chemicals on it's own any longer. This is what I do that keeps me functioning and until there is a significant cure or absolute treatment, I have to keep sticking my oar back in to see what works for me. I can only hope that there are angels working to help so many of us that suffer with this misunderstood illness.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  10:27:43 AM  Show Profile
Bramble ~ Thank you for your words and suggestions. Very inspiring. I just want to add one thing regarding medications. Everything God made is good. It is only how things are used that can be damaging. I thank God every day for my pain medication. If I didn't have it I couldn't even walk or use my hands or sleep. I've had FM for over 30 years and have tried everything that's come down the pike. Some helped, some didn't. Doctors are learning more every day and I thank God for their presence in my life, too. I'd also like to add that attitude has a lot to do with FM as with everything else. As I tell my clients - fake it until you make it. Very helpful!

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2006 :  1:21:18 PM  Show Profile
And hugs back to you Patricia! I will follow your journey with the clinic and hope that it brings you some real solutions and avenues to implement a smoother journey. Seems like this group could almost become a test group, there are so many of us (sadly...) Be well, and don't give up, I'm rooting for all of us.

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Herbal Wisdom: Previous Topic Herbal Help for Fibromyalgia Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page