schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  08:37:45 AM  Show Profile
around here the Georgia peach truck comes around every summer with some awesome peaches. I was planning buying a few for canning- but they are $33 a box!!

the nearby grocery has peaches(california) on sale this week for .69 cents a #- that figures out to half the price of the Georgia peaches.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is a huge difference as far as canning them? anyone know?

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:02:39 AM  Show Profile
We don't get a look at peach prices for canning until next month. =)

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:08:36 AM  Show Profile
I bought 25# of Georgia peaches for $35.00 and canned 12 quarts in light honey syrup. I also had enough to do 6 pints of preserves and make a cobbler and eat a couple. I think the GA ones would be better, who knows where the grocery store ones really came from.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:23:15 AM  Show Profile
We get peaches here in late August. They are from a farm in Idaho and are brought in to a relative of this farmer's here in town everyone (and I do mean just about everyone!) goes over before 8am on the morning they come to town with the big refridgerated truck and takes a number and then brings their own boxes (or pays for the farmer's boxes) and buys what they need. Always so so good. I know they are less than $20 a box but we never know until they get here what the price is. I usually can at least 6 boxes. Didn't do enough last year and ran out of peaches last week. I hate that! I canned at least 2 years supply of applesauce though...so it just works out that way sometimes.
I think it really matters where they come from as well. I plan to plant my own peach trees this year..but still will be awhile for harvesting from them.
Have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:28:33 AM  Show Profile
My favorite fruit in the world is the peach, I have 23 peach trees here and 3 differant varietys, I can all of them, except for what I eat off the tree, and use in pies right away. There is "NO" comparison between store bought and fresh, I would highly recommend "NOT" buying store bought for canning or anything else, you just would not be happy...

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:41:00 AM  Show Profile
I paid $35 a box last year for peaches from Kettle Falls, WA. I could buy them from some orchards that are closer or from the store, but to me, these peaches are worth every penny. I'm a huge fan of Suncrest peaches, even though they are not the premium canning peaches. I love the flavor. So, my answer is, can the peaches you love to eat. If the peaches in the store taste great, they might be just fine. But from personal experience, the California peaches in our stores right now are hard as a rock. Usually when they soften up they are just mushy with no flavor. I have to wait clear 'til September for those Suncrests that I love!
Go to Top of Page

schoolmama
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Amy
WI
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  1:22:08 PM  Show Profile
thanks for the replies. I went to the store to look at the peaches. they are SMALL!!! no wonder! I did buy some for the kids to munch on , but no way for canning- that would take forever!

I'll be buying peaches off the truck tomorrow, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  7:04:00 PM  Show Profile
I've got a ways to go before it's peach season here, but one of the things I look for in a good canner is if it's a free stone. Sooo much easier.
Also make sure they're ripe. Last year everything was having a hard time getting ripe in time for the end of the season. Usually we go to the orchard ourselves for old style Red Havens, but instead we ordered them through Amish. They were not ripe or good, but it was too late. I canned them but the taste is just not the same.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

kathyinozarks
True Blue Farmgirl

263 Posts

Kathy
Lebanon Missouri
USA
263 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  7:07:29 PM  Show Profile
our Missouri peaches are high this year too, the "peach man" that brings them to sell said they have had very little rain I paid $18.00 for half a bushel

Farmgirl Sister 1849
A retired country girl,living in our woods in the ozarks
http://kathyinozarks.multiply.com/
http://kathyinozarks.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tammyb
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Tammy
Bluffton Ohio
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  11:17:03 PM  Show Profile
Paid 28.00 for a half bushel ... tasted great so bought 1 1/2 bushel and canned 30+ quarts. New granddaughter will be enjoying these ... as soon as she is able :)
Tammyb

Live to leave a legacy

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  07:01:33 AM  Show Profile
Direct from the farmer!!! The store bought ones are picked green so they can be shipped. We have a shed locally and they still make the farmers pick green if they want to get into the groceries. It's sad.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2010 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile
I'm really hoping we get some decent peaches around here... I bought some organic ones at our local health food grocery and I was sooo disapointed! They were rock hard (obviously picked green), I was hoping they would ripen up on the counter but they started to go bad so I sliced them up (sounded like apples when I cut them...) to make them into crisp. I would give my right hand for some good peaches, I realized as I was cutting them that it's been years since I had a really good peach.... My mom used to take us out to pick local ones, that was in a much warmer part of the state.... Boy, there's nothing more disappointing than a sour, flavorless peach made me want to cry....

Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning peaches? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page