Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 looking for a recipe for blueberry jam
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic looking for a recipe for blueberry jam Next Topic  

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  9:44:25 PM  Show Profile
I am new at making anything like jam. Does anyone have a blueberry jam recipe? We pick blueberries every summer. This year I am determined to make jam. I would appreciate any recipes you may have. Thank you my farmgirl friends, Denise

Appreciate the little things, for they are not really that little.

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  06:27:30 AM  Show Profile
I strongly recommend getting the Ball Blue Book (big hardcover one, aka Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving) for all things canning. It has been the go-to canning book for decades. Either check it out from your library, or if you plan to get into canning it will be worth every dime of the $30 retail price at the bookstore. They have a great recipe for Blueberry Lime Jam, plus one called Blueberry Bonanza in which you make both blueberry syrup and blueberry butter in the same batch. There is a smaller paperback version by Ball that sells at grocery/big box stores for about $7 but I'm not sure if it has those recipes in it. Also, remember when you buy powdered or liquid pectin, there is a how-to sheet inside with jam/jelly recipes. You just need the pectin, fruit, sugar, and (usually) bottled lemon juice. That's it!

Farmgirl Sister #204

Edited by - JenniferJuniper on Jul 14 2010 06:29:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  06:31:53 AM  Show Profile
I usually just use the recipe off the pectin box...have never had anyone complain :)

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile
I did both the Blueberry lime jam from the bluebook and the one from the pectin box this month..and both turned out really well. Blueberry jam is just so good!! have fun!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:30:13 AM  Show Profile
I have a 5 minute blueberry jam recipe, you cook on top of stove then put in jar does not have to be canned. Last about 3 week.
jill
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  2:19:53 PM  Show Profile
This link is to the Ball website recipe for blueberry jam:

http://editor.ne16.com/alltrista/blueberryjam.html

Farmgirl Sister #204
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  5:30:30 PM  Show Profile
I'm lazy. I make the Ball freezer jam. No cooking needed.

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  9:05:24 PM  Show Profile
thank you so much for the wonderful feedback from everyone. I am very thankful.
quote:
Originally posted by JenniferJuniper

I strongly recommend getting the Ball Blue Book (big hardcover one, aka Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving) for all things canning. It has been the go-to canning book for decades. Either check it out from your library, or if you plan to get into canning it will be worth every dime of the $30 retail price at the bookstore. They have a great recipe for Blueberry Lime Jam, plus one called Blueberry Bonanza in which you make both blueberry syrup and blueberry butter in the same batch. There is a smaller paperback version by Ball that sells at grocery/big box stores for about $7 but I'm not sure if it has those recipes in it. Also, remember when you buy powdered or liquid pectin, there is a how-to sheet inside with jam/jelly recipes. You just need the pectin, fruit, sugar, and (usually) bottled lemon juice. That's it!

Farmgirl Sister #204

Go to Top of Page

blackantsnpeonys
True Blue Farmgirl

151 Posts

Denise
Hinckley Illinois
USA
151 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  9:08:21 PM  Show Profile
went to the "Ball" website...wow! found everything I need. Thanks again to all of who helped me find what I was looking for.

Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic looking for a recipe for blueberry jam Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page