graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  12:06:15 PM  Show Profile
It is time to replace our shower curtain and after reading the article on out-gassing I don't want to buy a regular one. Any ideas on how you would waterproof fabric to make it suitable for a shower curtain? Anyone done it or seen articles?
Thanks y'all
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  1:26:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You could do oilcloth- but I have seen some nice all cotton shower curtains that aren't waterproofed. Really all you need is something that creates a barrier so the water doesn't spray to far.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  1:48:59 PM  Show Profile
There are canvas type materials that are almost completly waterproof, they come in many colors and you can decorate them according to your bath theme. Make sure that what ever you use , it doesn't stay so damp all the time that it mildews/molds, you want to be able to throw it in the washer and hang out to dry.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  2:00:17 PM  Show Profile
See that's the problem - the fan in our bathroom broke and due to unforeseen circumstances, replacing it is out of the question right now so I'm dealing with a very damp environment. I guess it's probably impossible to find a natural waterproofing agent that wouldn't be time-prohibitive.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  4:35:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a thought how about making button holes and adding buttons about 12 to 18 inches down from the rings that way you could add some cute buttons and then just unbutton to wash and rebutton when clean. the top would stay on the shower rod and the bottom could get changed daily. If need be. but the waterproof fabric shower curtains are the only things I can think of for now.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  11:36:29 AM  Show Profile
That's a good idea for being able to take it off Diana - will add that to the file of ideas in my head for when I actually do this:)

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  11:40:59 PM  Show Profile
I have two shower curtains on two separate tension rods. Both are fabric. The outer curtain is on rings, but the inner one is an all cotton bedsheet which I cut to size and made a deep header.

The inner one goes inside the tub when using the shower. It gets wet on the bottom, but it doesn't billow out or cling to you and usually drip dries in an hour, and the outer one stays dry. Just slide it from the rod and wash it with the bedsheets whenever.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Make your own shower curtain? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page