Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Make It Easy
 Decorating?!!! Need some advice! :)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic Decorating?!!! Need some advice! :) Next Topic  

LakeOntarioFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

933 Posts

Brenda
North Rose NY
USA
933 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  3:35:59 PM  Show Profile
I couldn't quite figure out where to put this! ;)
If it needs to be moved that's fine!

I live on an apple farm, in the original house, circa 1900, it is definitely Edwardian in style! I absolutely love it! We are just renting here, but our landlord (next door neighbor, who grew up here) really wants to sell it to us!)
It's huge- 5 possibly 6 bedrooms, LR, DR, Family Room, Den, big kitchen, 2 baths, plus a half finished attached woodshed, and full basement.

On to the important things! My bedroom is upstairs with an attached room that has become my computer room/office/craft and sewing room. There is a closet connecting the two rooms. The bedroom is great, definitely an old fashioned feel!
BUT, the other room is a 1970's nightmare! There were carpet samples(think shag) carpet taped all over the gorgeous hard wood floors. The walls are cream(good thing) with a light green paint on all the trim and radiator. My computer desk is oak with antique white, I have a nice sewing table that is oak, but I also have side by side book cases that are black. I have framed pictures and prints in black(some antique, some new), a vintage silhouette of my brother and I in a red frame, and some other red accents. My thought is to do a big rag rug in red and black, but for now will be a really cheap area rug in a beige to cover up the carpet strips that cannot be removed.
I want to repaint the trim, but am not sure what color to use. I was thinking of a tan shade. The cream walls are in almost perfect shape, just want to get rid of the ugly green.
What color would you suggest for the trim? I'll try to get pictures up this week.
I also have an ugly orange bathroom, but that will be a separate post!
Thanks!

Brenda
FarmGirl # 711

http://theviewfromhere-brenda.blogspot.com/

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2009 :  5:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
If you want it to look bigger, color match the trim. Otherwise, a darker tan might work too. : )

Heather

"Hitch your wagon to a star"

http://somewheredownintexas-heather.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

katalind
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Kathy
Chapin SC
USA
177 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  07:42:32 AM  Show Profile
You should go to the book store, get a cup of coffee, and get some ideas from all there decorating books. My friends and I love meeting on a Saturday and a thumbing through all the great books. My favorite ones are by Shabby Chic.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 22 2010 :  08:13:35 AM  Show Profile
Did you ever think about black trim? I have it in one of my rooms and it just frames out the place and goes with everything, especially wood and cream walls.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 23 2010 :  7:43:50 PM  Show Profile
Brenda:
Look for the color "khaki". It is a really soft, soft green, but looks on the tan side. I recently painted both bathrooms, a sunroom, with that color.
Good luck on the decorating.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  07:15:07 AM  Show Profile
I vote for red trim. It will really make your accents "pop"
But, I'm an Aries and would paint everything red if I could LOL
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.artfire.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

City_Chick
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Christina
Omaha Nebraska
USA
509 Posts

Posted - May 24 2010 :  07:26:01 AM  Show Profile
I love the idea of either black or red. I have several red walls in my 1924 home. Ok, really my home is completly filled with rich colors.

I would recommend going to your local hardware store and looking through the color palates/swatches they have. Lowes is great for historical colors if that is of interest. Then take a whole pile of swatches home and start sticking them up. I like to grab multiple of the same color and tape them together to form a larger swatch. Then look at them during different times of the day. Paint in daylight can look completly different at dusk.

In the end we can suggest till the cows come to town but really you have to live with it. Go with your heart <3!

Christina
Farmgirl Sister #195
City Chick & Friends Chapter Mama
http://thecitychicks.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - May 25 2010 :  10:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I agree with Christina - go to the paint store and get a bunch of chips (and multiples in the same color). Get some of every shade you're thinking you might like, even some you don't think you'll like. Then take them home and see. You'll really have to think about how much you want all that trim to stand out or not stand out. Will it fight will all the furniture if it's a really strong color? You'll just have to put the chips out and see! Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  5:49:14 PM  Show Profile
My grandpa told me, trim is white or natural always...

Grandpa speaks you listen, thats how it works in my family.

--
See my custom costumes, download free patterns, and hear some spook EVPs from Gettysburg, PA on my site, www.alterationsbyemily.com
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Also many of the home reno stores, like Home Depot have programs attached to thier paint section on the website that allows you to "do" a room. Even though the room layout is different you can play with colours. Also the main paint sites as well probably have similar things.

"There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world"
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic Decorating?!!! Need some advice! :) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page