lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:17:35 PM  Show Profile
Just finished reading Pomegranate Soup by Marsha Mehran. The book is about 3 Iranian sisters who flee the Iranian Revolution when the Shah is overthrown and move to a small village in Ireland where they open a middle eastern cafe. The book is about the locals reactions to the exotic new restaurant and the adjustments the sisters go through in their new home. Every chapter ends with a recipe of something they cook in the cafe. There is a sequel that I have not gotten yet called Rosewater and Soda Bread. Wouldn't it be fun to have a book group that read the books and made the recipes and shared how they turned out? I know there are also other novels that include recipes and it would be fun to have an ongoing book group with novels that have recipes. Anyone interested? Sara

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  12:10:47 PM  Show Profile
Definitely interested - let me know. This book sounds great and I would love to join in. Lynne Hinton has written a series of books with recipes, starting with Friendship Cake, if you are looking for ideas. Also Susan Hermann Loomis, a cookbook author, wrote a memoir of buying and renovating a home in Normandy that has recipes too.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

lelasfriend
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

sara
baltimore MD
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  2:03:35 PM  Show Profile
Those sound great! I hope we can get others interested and have this reading group take off. Thanks, sara
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Pomegranate Soup Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page