smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  3:12:24 PM  Show Profile
I dont collect cookbooks per say but I love to read. I bought the coolest cookbook at an auction the other day. It is called STORIES AND RECIPES OF THE GREAT DEPRESSION OF THE 1930's by Rita Van Amber. It is great. This is a tribute to women who fed their families when there really wasnt much to feed them with. One man tells of being offered a FREE farm and turned it down because there was no money to pay the taxes on it. There is much to be learned from history. An elderly lady at work told me to hold onto that book I might be needing it. I thought she was teasing but she looked at me and said I lived thru that depression and this is looking a bit familiar. I hope it never gets that bad again but she shook me up some. Anyway its a good cookbook if you can find it.

karla
True Blue Farmgirl

1308 Posts

karla
Pella Iowa
USA
1308 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  3:46:24 PM  Show Profile
I have that one too! It is amazing to read some of what they went through! I hope & pray that we don't end up there!

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

http://rua2j-grammysheirlooms.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

jill skane
True Blue Farmgirl

853 Posts

jill lillian
stacyville maine
USA
853 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  3:58:00 PM  Show Profile
I have picked up a # of cook books at used book stores, also I go to the library to pick up books they are withdrawing, I will have to check my cookbooks and see if I have that one if not keep my eye open for it.

jill
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  5:09:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Karla now while I am in Ar. reading my book I know a farmgirl in Iowa has the same one. Isnt this fun! Jill when you pick up the library books are they free? Thats a neat thing to know.
Go to Top of Page

AmethystRose
True Blue Farmgirl

254 Posts

Rosemary
Huntingdon PA
USA
254 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  08:52:19 AM  Show Profile
I bought my copy in 2001 on a trip to Cape Cod, and spent half of the three hundred mile trip home reading it. My copy is the twenty ninth printing, and there is an order form in the back for two additional volumes.

It is definitely a "Mary Jane" type book.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic cookbook Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page