Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you help turtles cross the road?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you help turtles cross the road? Next Topic
Page: of 2

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  08:49:24 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, I had to laugh when I saw the title of your topic! I tried to help a turtle out of the road many years ago and I will always remember it because he was not a very cooperative fellow and the other thing is that he was a snapping turtle and just about bit the broom handle in half that I was using to get him out of the road! I would have left him alone to fend for himself, but it was raining that day and the skies were gray and you could hardly see him in the road! I finally got him out of the road, but he didn't stop to thank me, just kind of hissed at me! :)

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
www.justducky48.blogspot.com
www.heroesandink.blogspot.com
www.duckystreasurechest.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 12 2010 3:26:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

harmonyfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

785 Posts

Debbie
Southeastern Ohio
USA
785 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  09:21:22 AM  Show Profile
I always stop to help turtles cross the road. The only thing that makes me wonder is what if the car that passed that turtle before me accidentally spun it around in the opposite direction it was going? That means I made it's day a little harder....bummer...
Debbie

"If you can't find the time to do it right...how will you find the time to do it over"
Go to Top of Page

sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  11:15:57 AM  Show Profile
I think if a turtle was crossing the road in Wyoming, there would be lots of people who would stop. However, it would not be that they were going to move it to the side of the road. They would all be just sooooo surprised to actually see a turtle in Wyoming. :o)

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  4:22:13 PM  Show Profile
It's funny how that you asked that question...a week or so ago, on the way to work, I drove on a super highway (I-295) that people go 80+ mph...a little box turtle started to cross on the left lane of the highway. I was in the middle lane and no one was on the left lane, and a fleeting thought was to somehow pull over to save it. Of course, I would put my own life in danger, so that was out of the question. All morning, I thought of that turtle. It really bothered me! I always try to swerve or avoid any animals in the road...but, infortunately, it's not always possible. I don't think I've ever hit anything yet. In my area, you see a lot of squirrels run over and a lot of dead deer on the side of the road. I always feel bad.

"To have life in focus, we must have death in our field of vision." Benedictine monk John Main
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  03:43:24 AM  Show Profile
Everyone should read this book. "The Turtle Saver by Laurie Parker. It's a children's book that tells of what happens when a man saves a turtle he finds on the road. The story is heartwarming and true. Find it at the library.Quail Ridge Press. I teach in an environmental school program for kids 3-8th grade on an island in the middle of a lake in the summer. The kids love this story. Bonnie

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  10:04:20 AM  Show Profile
that's funny Heather!

We get 1 or 2 of those kind too. Long about August they appear and spin the biggest webs on the front porch.

I love turning on the lights and watching them catch stuff.

Have also on occasion in the early a.m. forgotten about them and yep, walked square into the web too! I felt badly for the spider havng to redo it all over again, but I guess that's what they do!
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jul 13 2010 :  11:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Spiders are more than welcome to live outside, webs and all. We occasionally get these HUGE creepy ones in the house that will actually run at you.... sorry, no can do.

The cat keeps the mice out of the house and hopefully they have learned to avoid the dog's yard. I think he's as good a mouser as the cat.

The only other critters that cannot stay are the slugs which invade my garden. Still wishing for chickens.

The bees, birds, snakes, frogs, etc... no problem. Even the racoons are left alone, at least by us, the dog doesn't like them. We don't have turtles....

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Faransgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Beth
Houston Texas
USA
895 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  09:24:29 AM  Show Profile
My friend and I helped the same one three time in one day. We passed it once and he was crossing the road one direction so we helped him along. About an hour later we passed that spot again and he was on his way back the other way so we helped him along then about 4 hours later we passed again and he was headed right up the middle of the road. So we put him back in the bayou.

We also had a puppy killed at the intersection of our street two days ago. I was calling to get it picked up when my husband came home and said the teenage boys down the road had picked it up and were burying it on the side of the road where it was hit. I was surprised as we normally refer to that group as Richard and his Highwaymen. I guess their meanness doesn't include small puppies.

Farmgirl Sister 572

When manure happens just say "WOO HOO Fertilizer".
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlermom
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Melissa
Logan AL
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:27:10 AM  Show Profile
I dangerously avoid hitting animals, which means I sometimes drive in the ditch, but I haven't wrecked yet! We've got a snake in our out building where the feed is kept, but I will not kill him! He's eaten every rat and no more wasted feed! He's a harmless black snake and I leave him alone. I killed one last year and I regretted it because we were overtaken by the rats! I don't like finding his skins after molting, kinda gives me the creeps!
Black Widow and Brown Recluse spiders die on sight-- all others can live and if they are in the house get transported safely out. Brown recluse spiders are dangerous and if you get them in your house you will never get them out. They can live a long time without food and water and over the years will take over your house! Then you have to check everything- clothes, shoes, beds, ect... everyday so you won't be surprised and get bit! It's just not worth it!
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  4:00:39 PM  Show Profile
I shared this with my daughter cuz yes, we stop for squirrels and birds and the deer who are trying to get across the road, oh the geese with their babies too. It broke my heart one day, I cried all the way home from a deer hit on the road, I felt I should have done something to help it, but didn't know what
Go to Top of Page

DvilleMama
True Blue Farmgirl

159 Posts

Lyn
Small Town MI
USA
159 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  5:11:01 PM  Show Profile
Well, I feel better knowing I'm not the only one. I have stopped to help turtles along. Call me crazy but I try to avoid frogs, catapillers and even mice when they dart out of the tall grass. Animals are much too precious to me to not make the effort to help/save/avoid them. I am also guilty of not killing spiders in my house. I do draw the line at the wolf spider and those big, hairy centipedes that are fast as lightning. {{{shudder}}}

Lyn
Farmgirl Sister #1574
Mid-Michigan Farmgirl Chapter
http://simplelifeseeker.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Leilaht
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Elizabeth
Highland MI
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  09:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Of course I help turtles out of the road! I avoid hitting others too. I hit a possum once because he turned around mid run and came back. I cried all the way to work.

I once stopped to get a turtle, and while I was walking back to pick him up a man purposely swerved to hit him right in front of me! I swear if I had a baseball bat I would have put it through his windshield. My kids were sitting in my car watching. I just don't understand why someone would purposely hit a turtle. They are the most unoffensive creatures. My husband will stop to help one too, but he drives a full size pickup and he will park it across the road to stop traffic while he does it.

Liz

Strength and honor are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.

Proverbs 31:25
Go to Top of Page

lovingewe
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

marlyn-neleh
norwood Ontario
Canada
212 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2010 :  11:29:50 AM  Show Profile
I keep gloves in the back of the van just for this reason. Driving back roads, you never know what you might need to help cross the road.
Nice post!

Marlyn

http://sweetlocuslane.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mollymaude
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Vickie
San Angelo TX
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2010 :  08:24:20 AM  Show Profile
I stop for all turtles and so does my son that is 36 yrs old. If necessary we move them to safety out of the road. I slow down and swerve for all animals much to the dismay of many drivers.

I took my two grandsons (13 & 8 yrs) fishing at our tank and walking around the pasture a few weeks ago and we found some of the most extraordinary spiders and spider webs I have ever seen. They were amazed and excited, took many pictures and can't wait to share with their classmates when school starts.

It was heartwarming to see them enjoy something free and and natural in this day and time. Especially the 13 year old who is not raised in the country and finds himself 'bored' during the time he spends with us in the country.

Life is full of special surprises
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you help turtles cross the road? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page