Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Do you help turtles cross the road?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you help turtles cross the road? Next Topic
Page: of 2

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  1:45:15 PM  Show Profile
Do you, pull over and help them to the other side? Do you slow down for squirrels? Try not to run over snakes crossing the road? I do. My hubby believes it is good luck to help a turtle on its way, suicidal squirrels are just confused about where they are going and need more time to decide and snakes have it tough, most people kill them on sight. He is afraid of spiders but doesn't kill them, he has me catch them and put them outside. I admit a snake in the nest box in the hen house gives me a big pause, but I herd them back out side and get the eggs later, we have not had a rat problem in the hen house since that snake moved in. It stays out of sight and I don't hunt for it. We believe in "let it be" and I know lots of others do too.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  2:13:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I don't mind the critters- except rodents like mice and rats. Ick. Non poisonous snakes are welcome!

My nieces and nephews came out of the back room this weekend all pleased with themselves that they had killed some HUGE spiders. Mom and I were horrified. I asked them if they like Mosquitos? Do they like flies? When they answered "no" I told them spiders eat those bugs and so are good to have around. They shouldn't kill them but take them outside to live.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  2:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Kathryn, your post made my heart swell, thank you to you and your husband

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  4:49:45 PM  Show Profile
I remember my mom used to stop for turtles back when I was growing up in Texas, but since I've moved to Washington I haven't seen a single one. I hadn't thought about it before, but I miss all the critters back home.

It sounds like you have been blessed by that rare breed: the Guard Snake!

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  4:50:48 PM  Show Profile
Oh Kathryn, thank you, thank you for sharing! It brings tears to my eyes and I'm so thankful for you and all like you and your husband. I ache so for the critters and fight the tears every time I see one dead on the roads.

Alee, what a good lesson for your neices and nephews and so happy your were there to give it to them. Too late for those spiders, but there will be others. Our spiders live peacefully in the garage, a few in the basement and occassionally corners. They're good and are only trying to live. Hugs, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  5:38:47 PM  Show Profile
I always slow down for critters. Saw a fox crossing the road this morning going to work at 540am. I love to see them stop on the side and look at you as if to say thank you for not harming me:) I do say a mini prayer for the poor "road kill" (sorry for the lack of a better term). I will stop when I see a turtle flipped over in the road and flip them back. I have never understood people who try to hit the critters, Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  5:45:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh yes, my son and I keep a count, we are at 6 turtles so far this year. Three summers ago there was a porcupine momma killed on the road, there were three babies right by her, bless their little souls. We took them home, took care of them for a few days and then brought them to our local nature center which raised them and released them into the wild when they were old enough.

When we were kids my cousin was in the car behind another car right near the drive to their house. He watched the car in front of them swerve way onto the verge to hit his kitten "alexander the great" on purpose. He was 6 years old. There are many evil people in the world.

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  6:14:48 PM  Show Profile
... Hubby says that I need a bumper sticker in bold saying "I will swerve to avoid critters"

:oD

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  03:35:34 AM  Show Profile
I'll slow as best as possible. Will assist turtles if its not in a blind curve. There are lots of those around here---so it's kind of dangerous for me too!

I had swerved to miss what I thought was a snake from time to time and it oftentimes turnes out to be a bungee cord.

Sometimes if its first thing in the morning and an animal is confused, I'll turn off my lights (I know dangerous) for a second or two
Go to Top of Page

Grammygail
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Gail
Chattanooga Tennessee
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  06:19:25 AM  Show Profile
You are right about suicidal squirrles......and we have alot of them.....dart out, back in, stop, and just as you are about stopped they run under the car!! Crazy little things! They don't stay under the car long enough to get hit, at least so far I have been lucky. Just can't handle thinking of running over any critter.
Have to be careful about locking brakes to miss something, especially if someone is on your bumper. I need the "brake for critters" sign that Karrieann was talking about. I had a nasty accident a good while back trying to miss a dog that walked out right in front of me just about the time I got to him. Locked my brakes.......thank God that I missed the kids that were walking beside him! We couldn't find the dog so we decided that he high- tailed it to the house! Did some body damage to another car when I locked my brakes. It is just reflex But........the police officer told me never to try to avoid hitting an animal because it causes accidents most of the time............sorry, not in me to not try to stop!! It is those reflexes!!
And because of my EXTREME dislike of snakes.....I just pray to God not to let me even see one when I am driving or any other time!
Enjoyed this topic!!
Farmgirl Sister #61
Go to Top of Page

mscountrygirl
True Blue Farmgirl

552 Posts

Michelle
Lucedale Mississippi
USA
552 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  08:02:12 AM  Show Profile
I read this and found it so amusing. I am a turtle helper too. I a not fond of spiders but do have some in areas that are not "traveled" often. Here in MS we have dangerous spiders. I kill those with extreme prejudice!!! I also have a black snake in the yard, and have no problem killing rats!

It's all good!

http://mscountrygirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  11:49:41 AM  Show Profile
Nice post.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  4:41:13 PM  Show Profile
Awe Sarah so sad about the porcupine!

Funny we had a huge spider living on our porch for years. One time a neighbor called the police on me, because I had gotten a new pc and it was after 9pm and I had forgotten to let the dog in. Our dog would bark at her drug dealer! (yes you read right! She couldn't stand us cause grandma wouldn't smoke marijuana with her.) So any way, the police came to my door, knocked, I looked out the window and see the police man hunched over and waving his paton in the air! lol

I opened the door and asked him what was going on? He said he walked in a spider web and now bats were attacking him! lol

He walked through the big spider web our porch spider would spin every night, and it wasn't bats (even though we tried to attract bats to eat the skeeters too!) it was Barn Swallows that lived on our porch, they were dive bombing him because they had new babies they had to protect, and didn't recognize him! haha

Any way, I told him it was birds not bats, and to come in. Well he was so flustered he couldn't remember quite why he was at my house, but after a while I figured it out and just thanked him and hurried and brought the dog in the house! haha It was a funny funny thing for a long time in our house! haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  5:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Heather thanks I really enjoyed reading your post...... I cann't stop laughing , Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  5:23:23 PM  Show Profile
I am so glad to know I am not the only one. We do not have many turtles, but I sure have been know to stop for all kinds of critters. I even once roped a steer that was wondering in the road - one guy yelled at me and said he was trying to killing dinner for the next year. Now, I would have rather ran him down. Just kidding or maybe not.

I must admit I am not a spider person - if they sneak up on me I will flatten them. We have some black widows and brown ones that are nasty - sorry but if it is my saftey of my animals well we win out. I do have a post on my blog today about "What is our Value"? Not everyone values the same thing in God's creatures and I wanted to share my view on those without a voice.... Hope you might read it and leave a comment if it strikes your fancy.

So for all of those who rescue those without a voice - stand up, be proud and make sure you have good working brakes...

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:33:49 PM  Show Profile
lol Barbara I still laugh about it myself! haha

What makes it so funny to me, is he was so scared of the very things that relaxed me!

There was nothing more relaxing to me in the evening then to sit on my porch swing in the dark (the light would scare the birds), and watch the mama and daddy bird care for their babies, and the spider spin it's HUGE (went clear across the whole front of the porch!) web so diligently each night. I would just sit and swing gently, on a cool summer night there was nothing more relaxing then just watching the nature right there in front of me.

And to think the very same thing shook the poor police officer to his core! haha

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:37:43 PM  Show Profile
oh BTW, did I mention my uncle liked to call our house the Adam's Family house. lol hahahaha

That night with the police officer always reminds me of some episode of the Adam's Family, I'm sure he thought he was in a episode of it too! hahahaha

Go to Top of Page

Lin
True Blue Farmgirl

807 Posts

Lin
Sioux City IA
USA
807 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  10:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I absolutely love your story!!! Sounds like the police officer needs to come sit on the porch for a spell and learn to appreciate our beloved nature!!! We also have huge fat spiders that spin amazingly huge webs close to our side door. Once they show up, we have to be careful when we head outside, but once we establish where they are, we can duck under or walk around! Their webs are amazing, but they move them every night....we love "Charlottes Webb" and always think about Charlotte when the fat spiders show up!! Hugs, Lin

"Our beautiful earth is worth saving"!!

Edited by - Lin on Jul 10 2010 10:25:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  12:06:56 AM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
We do it too!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  02:15:28 AM  Show Profile
I have a strange fascination with spiders. We had a spider as a pet called Aragog (from harry p). I have spider t-shirts and earrings. They are amazing creatures.

fat people are harder to kidnap.

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
www.whimsyscents.com
www.etsy.com/shop/daltonfabrics
Go to Top of Page

craftystranger
True Blue Farmgirl

525 Posts

Barbara
Franklin NC
USA
525 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  04:25:58 AM  Show Profile
We had a large old wood spider, is what I have always called them, at an old house we lived in...my boys 4 and 7 (long time ago) would love to see how large his web would grow. We never would have messed up his web for anything. Hey, I have a black cat that I rescued she would have added something to your story. LOL Those poor birds just think what they must have been thinking:) Barbara

Don't forget to laugh!
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  11:20:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, we don't have turtles on the road around here but we get lots of other critters. Even though I hate the pesky rabbits and deer eating my flowers and garden I go out of my way to avoid hitting them. Of course, a deer would damage my car so that's another good reason not to hit them. :-) The rabbits are nearly impossible to avoid. They go one way, then the other, then the other. It's best to just stop and wait, if possible.

When I'm out on my walks I always see beetles on their backs flailing their legs around so I stop and flip them back over. I see this so often I'm beginning to wonder if they flip over to die or something and I'm just thwarting their efforts.

Spiders I usually ignore but we have had a couple of HUGE spiders in the basement where the girls' bedrooms are and I'm afraid to touch them or try to catch them so they get squashed. But snakes terrify me! Lucky for them I'm even too scared to try and kill them. I know they're beneficial in the garden but for some reason I'm still terrified of them. A couple of years ago I was in the front yard pulling weeds and I reached down and nearly grabbed a snake. It really freaked me out. I started sending hubby out to rustle the garden before I'd go out and pick anything. It took me until this year, two years later, to get up the nerve to work in the yard again.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

barefootmama
True Blue Farmgirl

133 Posts

Jennifer
BLOOMSBURG Pennsylvania
USA
133 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  1:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Send barefootmama a Yahoo! Message
What a delightful post! I too am a "critter crusader" and will stop to help turtles and lizards and anything else that crosses my path to cross the road. I get teary eyed at the site of a dearly departed animal and used to (before I had my kids) keep a shovel,old towels,and rubber gloves in my truck to get them off the road and bury them..I know its odd but If a cat was dead along the road I always felt better if I gave him/her a proper burial.

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves,for they shall never cease to be amused:)
Go to Top of Page

missmuffcake
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

kendy
modesto ca
45 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  2:00:51 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday at a craft show I was vending at me and 2 other people all allergic to bees trapped a bee in the venue and took him/her out to the garden!

------------------
http://www.missmuffcake.com/
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  6:53:46 PM  Show Profile
I giggled reading this sweet post. I do the same thing! I saw one about a month ago, and I pulled over and helped him across. People fly through our little roads and I just knew he would get squished. I've seen a couple of them this year on walks with the dog. I used to not mind spiders but since December and the nasty poisonous bite I got (that resulted in a scarred chin) I have not been so nice to them. (Except for Daddy Long Legs).

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

knitnpickinatune
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Sherrie
Gardena California
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2010 :  07:46:25 AM  Show Profile
I've saved a turtle or two on our residential street that got loose from their pen in different neighbors yards. I cringe when I think they may be hit by a car or something!

http://www.mandolinbabe.info

http://www.mandolinbabe.net

@MandolinChick on Twitter
mando pickin & fiddle sawin' Farmgirl #702
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Do you help turtles cross the road? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page