theherblady
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Jan
Glasford Illinois
USA
510 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  10:40:54 AM  Show Profile
I am on my second trumpet vine and cant get it to grow~~! I have it in a mostly sunny area at the end of my driveway and want it so badly to grow and take over the wagon wheel! I bought it several weeks ago and it seems smaller and less leaves then when I bought it..I looked up on the internet and confirmed..this thing grows anywhere! Why cant I get mine to grow??
I have given it a little plant food..have mulch around it...and it has had plenty of rain/water lately..
Any suggestions??
Jan

bybiddie
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

susan
upstate ny
USA
267 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  11:17:59 AM  Show Profile
I have been told - and this has been true with my trumpet vines - that it can take a couple of years before it really gets started. I have one climbing up my barn and every year I think it's died, but it comes back with a vengance. My advice - hang in there!

Lovin' my life
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  5:47:20 PM  Show Profile
http://www.doityourself.com/stry/trumpetvine

Being from the Southeast, I see trumpet vine growing all over the place in natural areas as the weather starts heating up. . . Here's an article that mentions that trumpet vine may look like it's floundering or not doing so well UNTIL heat comes along. Apparently, it likes heat. I haven't seen trumpet vine blooms in the Southeast yet, so perhaps it's just not warm enough where you are yet! Hang in there and see if it the heat helps! Good luck!

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Trumpet Vine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page