TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 07 2006 :  8:35:14 PM  Show Profile
Just thought I would share pictures of my garden - I am so proud of myself-I did 99% of the work including the fence by myself on weekends (while minding my three young kids). We harvested lettuce, radishes,and "baby squash" today. There is no other word to describe the feeling when I pulled up bright red perfect radishes for the first time - pure JOY!

Edited by - TejasFarmgirl on May 07 2006 8:36:43 PM

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  03:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Looks great! The only things I'm picking now are greens and radishes. I'm sooooo ready for summer squashes on the grill.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  04:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Good job Dawnn, looks great!!

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Grits
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

kathy
hildebran nc
11 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  07:22:22 AM  Show Profile
Hello Dawn,Wow what a wonderfull job you have done.That is alot of work and it looks great. I know it is more than worth it. Grits

You will never see your future if you live in your past!
Go to Top of Page

farmgrlchick
True Blue Farmgirl

439 Posts

Theresa
Columbus Montana
USA
439 Posts

Posted - May 08 2006 :  07:27:43 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful Garden......

THeresa
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

74 Posts

Tammy
Southern Coast Oregon
74 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  09:55:22 AM  Show Profile
Dawnn,

What a great looking garden. You just gave me so much inspiration. Right now I only garden in my greenhouse because of my freerange chickens, but after seeing your beautiful garden and fence I know what I need to do next. Build a fence like yours in a sunny spot so the chickens will stay out. Thanks for the great pictures.

When I feel spring coming I have to plant or I’ll go crazy!
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  10:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone. This is my first garden and I am hooked! I love being in the garden, even weeding feels good to me! It changes on a daily basis. I think my pumpkins are going to take over so it is also a learning lesson.

D.
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  10:08:24 AM  Show Profile
Dawnn, you should be so proud-what a great garden and nice pickings. My one small raised bed is just sparsly sprouting up spinach, peas and I think I saw my onion shoots. We are having a downpour today so that might help. I need to get another raised bed made to plant more stuff-your garden is really inspirational-thanks for sharing! :)
Ellen in MI
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  11:01:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the photos... I just bought my first soaker hose how long must it be on to be equivalent to 1 inch of rain???

in His presence
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  11:24:22 AM  Show Profile
Penny, it depends on your water pressure.
There's a trick with regular sprinklers where you place an empty tuna can in your yard to see how long it takes to have an inch of water in it. You might be able to try that with your soaker hose.
Another trick is to dig down into the dirt after watering to see how far down the dirt is wet.

Dawnn-I am so envious. Enjoy your rewards.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Alaska farm girl
True Blue Farmgirl

123 Posts

dorothy
skagway Alaska
USA
123 Posts

Posted - May 11 2006 :  11:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Dawn,your garden looks great! I am still in the process of digging post holes.We have alot of river rock here so it's slow going.You had a lot of post holes to dig! I am only using treated 2x4's for cross braces,hope my fence turns out as nice as yours! Will be happy when I'm not cleaning up after everybody elses dogs! Will be transplanting kale,broccoi and lettuce, and greens starts today.Its gonna get up to a balmy 50 degrees today!
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  09:41:54 AM  Show Profile
Wow - now thats a garden! I only dream of a garden that big. Mine is small and stuff is just starting to come up. You did a great job.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - May 12 2006 :  5:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Beautiful garden! I'm just starting to plant. Enjoy!!!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - May 14 2006 :  1:56:57 PM  Show Profile
You should be proud! I'm jealous - - we are moving into our new house in a few weeks and with the move and our toddler I won't get to have but a container garden this year. With our Virginia red clay it takes so much work just to get anything in the ground. Oh well, next year. Keep posting pictures so I can live through you! :)
Go to Top of Page

TejasFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

105 Posts

Dawnn
Bartonville Texas
USA
105 Posts

Posted - May 16 2006 :  7:40:14 PM  Show Profile
Thanks again for everyones kind words. I will have to post new pictures - you would not believe how big everything has gotten! The organic amendments and foliar feeding I am doing is really working!! We have harvested yellow squash already and it is yummy! We do have tons of baby grasshoppers. I put out some praying mantis egg cases today so we will see if they work! They should hatch in about 2-5 weeks.

Dorothy - diggin post holes is hard work! Don't let mine fool you though - there are sections of this fence that you could push over!

T
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  5:54:02 PM  Show Profile
Your garden is lovely! Your hardwork is paying off it appears! Bet your kitchen table is reaping rewards. . .

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Pics! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page