Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Recomendation: What kind of electric weed eater?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Recomendation: What kind of electric weed eater? Next Topic  

garliclady
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Reidsville NC
274 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  2:29:42 PM  Show Profile
We have a string weeder (aka weed eater /weed wacker). It is a gas model and is heavy and hard to start. I want an electric/battery one for me to use easily in the yard and raised beds etc. Anyone have a suggestion of what to buy or NOT buy?

My Farm http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&ext=1&groupid=140532&ck=
My Recipes http://recipecircus.com/recipes/garliclady/
]
My blog http://www.epicourier.com/Garliclady/

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  04:49:20 AM  Show Profile
I don't like the electric ones, your range is too limited. Do they have a battery operated one? There are some new models out there, can't think of the brands, too early, but get one with a strap, makes it alot easier to handle.

www.sageflowerfarm.blogspot.com

www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  05:57:21 AM  Show Profile
I want to say that mine is a Black and Decker but I'll have to check. I would recommend one that is self feeding-I love that feature. None of the banging on the ground every few seconds. I also recommend an electric cord that is the length that you'll need as one cord. Try not to connect various cords together and try not to get one that is way more then you'll need length wise. The longer the cord the less power you'll have at the end.
Otherwise, I like my electric way better then the gas one we have-wherever it is. I looked at the battery operated but had heard that after a while the batteries don't charge back up fully. Don't know how true that is but I decided not to find out the hard way.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  1:04:53 PM  Show Profile
I have owned electric then battery powered. I would love another battery powered because I can never start the gas one we have. The battery powered one we had could not do the yard on one charge, I think it lasted about 1/2 an hour. Sometimes they are not as strong, so if you have long grass it does not work very well. They are really heavy also. I have'nt had one for 3 years so I am sure they have improved. Look for weight, strenght and longeveity on one charge. Let me know how you do, I need another one.
Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Recomendation: What kind of electric weed eater? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page