homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  10:57:36 AM  Show Profile
just finished my first pair of socks!!!
does anyone out there know of some size 2 circular needles that are less than 16 inches long.
i have a hard time with the 4 needles and thought the cirqular route would be easier?

in the midst of difficulty lies opportunity.-a. einstein

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
bamboo circular ones are short like four inches I bought several pairs at the local grocery store of all places

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my blog http://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my store http://www.etsy.com/shop/VintageThreads
facebook http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1293485188&ref=profile#/profile.php?id=1293485188&ref=profile
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  2:05:38 PM  Show Profile
Congrats Cathy on completing your first pair of socks. That is Awesome!!! I'm too chicken
to try. But really with my Fibro...I can't use needles smaller than a 7. Cramps my muscles
too badly. But I prefer working on circular needles any day to straight needles.

Google it on line...you'll find some. Have your tried knitting two socks at a time on
your circular needles? I have never done socks but the gal who taught me to knit is
a Sock Guru and she does two at a time. So, when you are done you have a pair ready
to go. How cool is that?

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:01:57 PM  Show Profile
wendy,
would you happen to have a name of the 4inch needles? i can't find anything.
peggy,
socks are a challenge but fun i can see how it could be addicting. maybe someday i'll tackle the two sock at a time thing.
baby steps.
thanks gals!

Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  3:45:51 PM  Show Profile
Two at a time? How does that work?

I have yet to make my first pair of socks. Maybe this year...

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

Turtlemoon
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

378 Posts

Tanya
Port Orchard Washington
USA
378 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  5:05:05 PM  Show Profile
i have yet to try the two at a time or magic loop but plan to soon, love to knit socks! Hmmm, i have never seen the circ's smaller than 16 inches, did you ever find some?

...life is what you make it!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/moonhonu
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  7:47:35 PM  Show Profile
tanya,
haven't found any yet, but hope to, sure would be a lot easier!

Go to Top of Page

clothedinscarlet
True Blue Farmgirl

1333 Posts

Siobhan
Battle Creek MI
USA
1333 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2010 :  8:12:28 PM  Show Profile
There are a lot of tutorials on youtube for magic loop (two socks at a time) and knitting one sock at a time on 2 circs (this is the method I like as I don't have to use DPN - which I cant stand - but I just think the two at a time would be too much for me. But, I recently saw these hiya hiya needles in 9" at a yarn shop that I think would be great. The smallest circs I've ever knit with before were 10" and, to me, they were rather difficult to knit with (very tight feeling), so I don't know if I would like knitting a sock on such small needles, but it would be worth a try. http://y2knit.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=115

Farmgirl Sister #1110
Siobhan - AKA Liza-Jane (my farmgirl name), wife to my best friend, Trent, and mommy to Camden (11/28/05) and Bennett (7/11/07). and Truman (7/28/09)

Edited by - clothedinscarlet on Jul 07 2010 8:14:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  08:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
i hate small circs...they are too small and make it almost impossable to move your hands. as for dpns...i guess i'm crazy because i love them. i get into a nice rythem and just forget what i'm doing. as for the magic loop...i'm going to youtube right now.

What we write today slipped into our souls some other day when we were alone and doing nothing.
-Brenda Ueland

http://quilandneedle.blogspot.com/

http://musingandmuttering.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Girls, I love to knit wool socks on dps. I too find the circulars too tight and besides that I learned using dps and just know the pattern that way and don't have to move markers. I hope the small circulars work for you...it is just hard to teach an old dog new tricks. Have you went to Ebay and did a search? One time I noticed they had about every size you could find and I felt the prices were good.
I have purchased 2 books about knitting both socks at the same time and even purchased the longer circular needles that the pattern called for but have not even attempted yet. You guys may get me in the mood to try. I think I will go to youtube and watch.
I am washing wool today and plan to weave on a basket later. I have several skeins of sock weight spun up and ready to go. I love the sock book by the Twisted Sisters.

As for those that are afraid to try, I was the same way and I remember setting my mind to knitting socks and I had to rip out so many times but then it just clicked and now I think socks are about like making wash cloths...just give it a try. Knitty Gritty on DIY years ago had a very neat show that made knitting socks appear so easy and it helped me. I don't know if they still have the video on the internet or not.

I like to knit socks with about a size 7 needles and with worsted weight wool yarn and then felt them in the washer and put them on my feet while they are still damp and they comform to my foot size and they are so warm to wear around the house or in my chore boots in the winter. I have also used this size of needles and yarn for my son and gs and made the socks tall to wear in their hunting boots.

Happy sock knitting to everyone
Sarita

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so.....
'Love the people who treat you right Pray for the ones who don't.
"A happy heart makes the face cheerful..." Proverbs 15:13

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:12:16 PM  Show Profile
I love my dpns too...never even tried the circulars although with any knitting I avoid them when I can....all that sliding and all..haha. I like to use sock yarn and size 2 needles the best but sometimes do thicker yarn and up to size 5's. Socks are my favorite thing to knit.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Hallie
Video Sister

79 Posts

Hallie
Pullman WA
USA
79 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  12:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Really, what's a few ripped out stitches here and there sacrificed for home-made socks? I'll check out the Twisted Sisters book. Any other suggestions for first time "sockers?" Once I learn how to turn a heel, maybe I'll learn to shape a calf!

Hallie
Sister #1112
www.maryjanesfarm.tv
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  6:44:24 PM  Show Profile
The Big Book of Socks by Kathleen Taylor is a good one too...lots of "levels" of socks and different options for everything..I love that one!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  8:22:45 PM  Show Profile
I am also a fan of dpns for sock knitting - I usually use size 0 or size 1 because I prefer the thinner yarn inside my shoes on my "wide" feet.

Clover brand bamboo needles have worked the best for me. I have arthritis in my fingers and the bamboo needles are light and flexible and warm, and the texture of the bamboo seems to keep the stitches on the needles better than the metal needles. If I use metal needles it seems like the clicking of the metal tends to make my arthritis worse.

I've thought about trying the two cirucular needle method for knitting both socks at the same time but haven't gotten around to it yet.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  8:49:34 PM  Show Profile
I just bought some really cute yarn and some dpn to try at some socks again. I started some years ago on dpn and actually was doing really well, then I set them aside and am feeling too chicken to try again.... I think I'll give it a go though as soon as I finish my embroidered pillowcase.

Sister #1213

Farm-made aprons and vintage goodies
www.thecapriciouscorgi.etsy.com

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
~Thomas Edison~
Go to Top of Page

LadyInRed
True Blue Farmgirl

6740 Posts

PeggyAnn
Vancouver WA
USA
6740 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2010 :  11:53:34 PM  Show Profile
I am so not ready to try socks. My friend use to use the dpns now she does the Two socks at
a time on the circulars. She made me a really cool pair of socks with medium weight sock
yarn self-striping) and they were just way too hot on my feet. They were so beautiful
(I had picked out the yarn) and I kept them around for awhile just for decoration :+)
but then I thought, "This is stupid...someone should be wearing these gorgeous socks)
so I sent them to my DIL. She loved them and actually wears them. Then my friend made
me a light weight lacy pair of socks with no toes or heals. LOL They are too dang cute...
but my hubby teases me when I put them on. Ah Men, what do they know! ;+)

Blessings,
~peggy

Lady In Red
http://ladyinredsite.blogspot.com

A "SMILE" Should Be A Woman's First Accessory, Then Her Purse, Shoes, and Bling! ~p.smith

Edited by - LadyInRed on Jul 08 2010 11:55:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile
I've always knit socks on dpns and I really like that process. Last year a friend of mine had a book--Knitting Circles Around Socks--I think is the name. It's how to knit two socks at the same time on two circular needles. I had to try it but I don't really like it that well. The only benefit that I could see from the two at a time is no second-sock-syndrome. I just like the rhythm of knitting with dpns. It was very hard for me to get started on the two at a time method. I've only made one pair that way and I will stick with the dpns.

I use size 1 bamboo needles and I knit with 4, not 5. I love pretty sock yarns!

"Let us never forget that the cultivation of the earth is the most important labor of man. When tillage begins, other art follows. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of civilization."

Daniel Webster

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  11:48:55 AM  Show Profile
Sock yarns are probably my biggest indulgence. WEll, one of them anyhow. I really love nice needles too...(lantern moon sock stix!!) There are so many fun ones out there. Finished a pair this morning and got to go to my stash and pick out a new ball of sock yarn to fondle. Trekking this time in fun fall colors..self patterning. I am working on Christmas gift socks but these may be for an earlier family birthday gift. Everyone loves handknit socks.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  1:36:49 PM  Show Profile
Jenny, the only trouble giving hand knit socks for gifts is that they want more. The name of the book that I referred to is: The Twisted Sisters Sock Workbook by Lynn Vogel.

Sarita in Missouri

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

urban chickie
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Catherine
Niles IL
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  4:25:04 PM  Show Profile
OK, maybe I am weird but I do not understand the fear sock knitting instills in folk. I knit my first pair of socks less than a year after I taught myself to knit, on 5 dpns while commuting on the bus LOL. Seriously! And no I am NOT a knitting genius or anything, trust me. I made that first pair using the tut here:
http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/SockClass_Start.htm
It's a great tut because it gives explicit directions for different thicknesses of yarn. If you are at all intimidated, your first pair should be simple, in some lovely worsted weight wool, for good boot socks that will knit up quickly and teach you all about shaping a heel and closing up that toe in no time.

Catherine
Farmgirl #1370
City Girl By Birth,
Suburbanite By Location,
Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Jul 09 2010 :  6:16:03 PM  Show Profile
Catherine, that is a very good site to go to get started.

Sarita

"The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  7:42:21 PM  Show Profile
I have collected some beautiful sock yarn but I really don't like working on dp needles. Actually, I avoid it like the plague! I knit loose and those dp just seem so slip out way too often. Does anyone has a nice basic two needle sock pattern done on about sz4-5 needles that they'd be willing to share? Also, anyone do anything with one of the old round sock knitting machines? They intrigue me.

Sunshine for your day*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * and blessings for your heart,
soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2010 :  11:56:40 PM  Show Profile
I love to knit socks on dp needles. I am working on a lacy pair for my daughter for her birthday right now. Linda if you have trouble with the needle slipping out perhaps you should try bamboo or wood needles as they are less slippery. I personally like Addi turbos and they are really slick so yes I do have to be careful when I decrease near the end of the toe as they do tend to slip at that point. I tend to knit pretty fast and the drag on the bamboo drove me nuts.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

soleil
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Linda
Butternut WI
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  1:33:13 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion, Sheri. I love the turbos also and use them for most my knitting. I have some of the bamboo dps and they definitely do work better for me. I knit pretty fast too and I guess I just don't like to take the time to keep switching needles or be pulling out the cable for the magic loop technique. I have a book with a couple two needle patterns that look interesting but just haven't had the time to try them....mybe this winter. Right now I'm working on a pretty summer shawl til I find that perfect sock pattern.

Sunshine for your day*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ * and blessings for your heart,
soleil

Even as we dream, we begin to succeed...even as we succeed, we begin to dream again.
Go to Top of Page

homergirl1957
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

cathy
tieton washington
111 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  5:50:18 PM  Show Profile
linda,
what is the name of the two needle sock book? sounds much faster than the dps?!
cathy

Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

84 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
84 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2010 :  5:51:33 PM  Show Profile
You can use two circular needles and use them as you would 4 double points. It's a little confusing at first but it ended up being easier to keep the work on the needles for me. I think I heard about this in a book about knitting toys written by Debbie Bliss.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic knitting socks Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page