CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  11:34:11 AM  Show Profile
Talk about hot and dry, I live near Santa Fe, NM, and I've had very little success with annuals here. I did find last year that Four O'Clocks did surprisingly well. I was even able to collect enough seeds to send a whole package to my father back in Texas, who used to always have them in our flowerbeds when we were children. Of course, as you mentioned, geraniums do well. What the nurseries recommend around here just haven't survived, even with daily watering. However, I have to plant in pots, not in the ground. It's too hard and "dead." Beyond that, I've no advice and would like to find out who responds to your posting with some ideas...since I'm in the same boat.

I shoulda turned left at Albuquerque..Bugs Bunny
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  12:56:53 PM  Show Profile
Other than the Ivy geranium and petunias, regular or wave variety,I can't think of anything either.
Portulacas, sometimes called moss rose even though it isn't. It is succulent and does well from seed or plants.

Edited by - Mari-dahlia on May 19 2006 12:58:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

coconutcakes
True Blue Farmgirl

52 Posts

Emily
Summerfield NC
USA
52 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  5:36:15 PM  Show Profile
Maybe narrow-leafed zinnia? Madagascar periwinkle? Plain old marigolds?

Emily

"After a long period abroad nothing could make me more homesick or emotional than an American magazine ad of a luscious layer cake, except one, and that was a pictured lemon pie." Irma Rombauer, Joy of Cooking (1943)
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  7:21:58 PM  Show Profile
Oh! I've had good luck with portulacas in hot spots that I didn't water very often. In pots even. They also volunteered the next year.

"I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority." -E. B. White

http://www.betweenthecities.com/blog/ljr/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 20 2006 :  07:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Portulacas would be good, marigolds, petunias. Maybe try asking the folks at your local nursery. Ivy geranium really likes some partial shade from the very hot afternoon soon so don't know if that one would work.

Visit my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  12:54:35 PM  Show Profile
I just happened to catch a gardening show right after my posting above and they mentioned yarrow, lambs ears and coneflowers for hot, dry climates. I don't think I've tried any of them since moving here, but I've always loved lambs ears. I haven't had any luck getting portulaca to grow here but think I'll give it another try. I never could get mint to grow (though everybody else in the civilized world seems to have problems with it taking over). However, this year FOR THE FIRST TIME I have a healthy peppermint plant that is actually growing and spreading. Hooray! Worth trying portulaca again. I know in California a friend of mine swears by ice plant in her arid area. I killed the only one I planted here.

Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  09:48:45 AM  Show Profile
I would agree that portulaca and petunias would do well for the hot, dry window boxes. I threw down some wildflower seed in the bed which runs southeast along my house, and while a lot of the seeds got washed away (we had big rains last year!) the yarrow seeds held, and I've got about a dozen yarrow plants, which are all doing well. My main flower bed is on the southeast side of my house, and gets tons of sun. I also have echinacea there too, so I would try that. But be careful, yarrow can grow very big, very fast! :-)

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  09:53:01 AM  Show Profile
That's what I need...something that will grow very fast, very big...We're being overwhelmed with baby grasshoppers, millions of them. I need something fast and invasive to help counteract those ravenous hordes! Know any treatments for grasshoppers? We've had them for 3 years running and they eat everything in their way. I don't understand why they don't move on when they've conquered all...but, as I said, this is the third year of the invasion.

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  09:57:41 AM  Show Profile
Lamb's Ear is so pretty but a word of caution -- it can be a little invasive -- at least here in the Western part of WA that's what can happen. I do love it though and plant it anyway. Just pull up the ones that you don't want. I never thought of coneflower for hot and dry. I'll have to try that.

Visit my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

http://www.homesteadblogger.com/therusticcottage/
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  10:50:43 AM  Show Profile
I was going to suggest an ice plant although it's not an annual. I have some planted on the west side of my house so it's been getting late afternoon triple digit heat and sun. I've yet to water it and its doing great. It did require more water last year when I planted it but now its doing great.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

Destiny~
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Dar
west TX
USA
195 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  10:55:45 AM  Show Profile
Carol, I checked one website that I use for advice on organic gardening and it said that birds are a good cure for grasshoppers. It suggested putting out many feeders in the area.
There were other comments about how they lay their eggs etc. If your interested it was www.dirtdoctor.com and I did a search on grasshopper.

"Let us, together, sow seeds for a better harvest-a harvest for hope."
Jane Goodall, Harvest for Hope
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 24 2006 :  1:17:30 PM  Show Profile
I'll sure check it out. Thanks, Destiny! I'm from Texas, too, though I've lived in New Mexico for nearly 5 years now.

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  05:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Carol, we have had grasshoppers here for several years, and the first was during a drought... they ate the tops out of small pine trees and decimated everything. Because they seemed to make a home here I finally bought grasshopper bait from Seeds of Change. It works on the small "intermediate" stage of grasshoppers, and because they cannibalize, they eventually share the poison. It's too early (in years, not weeks) to know if it really worked. Unfortunately, this is a committment, as the poison needs to be used by a certain date or it is too old, or you freeze it until the hatching time begins(which is what I did). Also, the directions on on bag said to wear a mask and to remove all clothing before entering the home, and then wash everything you wore. 3rd drawback, it cost nearly $50 for this treatment, which I used around and in the garden, expecting that eventually the poison would spread to surrounding areas. I was not aware of the toxicity to me when I ordered the stuff, or I probably wouldn't have spent the money, which--once spent--made me feel committed to using it. I also hear birds, esp. chickens and other farm fowl eat grasshoppers.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  07:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, I'm very hesitant to use something of that caliber, though at times I've wondered how many grasshoppers I could get with a scatter gun. Good thing I'm not into guns or I just might try it! LOL! I'm using an over-the-counter chemical spray that claims you can use it on vegetables and other garden produce but you can't eat any of the produce for 7 days. Well, rather than spray it directly ON the food plants, I'm spraying the areas AROUND (it's all dirt and rocks) the potted veggies. I did actually see a difference yesterday in the amount of hoppers and I'm going to follow the directions and make another application in another 7 days or so. I have put up the metal fence posts in the little area I hope to turn into a garden plot and bought some chickenwire (cheaper than the bigger stuff). Once I start planting in the ground (amending with compost and manure and top soil, all bought), I don't know what I'll do about the grasshoppers. I don't mind spraying around pots on the ground and on the rocks. I don't think spraying around loose plants IN the ground will be something I can do. I wouldn't want to eat the produce then and I'd be afraid to give it to my friends and neighbors. I have enough seeds to last for years (kind of overdid it this year), so I think I'll just curve the grasshoppers and reseed if they mow down my efforts...I'll just keep at it and hopefully wear them out!

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  2:52:13 PM  Show Profile
I'm hoping for chickens, myself. Maybe a shotgun later, if nothing else works. Smile.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - May 25 2006 :  7:47:39 PM  Show Profile
Well, I'm pleased and rather surprised to report that spraying that Ortho Max-whatever for veggies/gardens and not spraying the plants but spraying around the pots has gotten rid of most of the millions of baby grasshoppers that were munching everything. I was so afraid it would also kill the other insects, and it may well, but I just came in from watering and found whole families of lady bugs on my parsley and cilantro and mints, etc. and they looked very healthy. They weren't even yawning! I'm so relieved. I agree with you, though...the chicken idea sounds the healthiest solution. Sadly, my idiot dogs would be eating drumsticks before I could say "shoo." Despite complaining about the garden pests, I'm having the best time this spring outside planting and growing things and I am as pleased as punch with every bud, leaf, blossom! It's been rewarding just about every minute.

Go to Top of Page

almostidaho
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

Tami
Richmond Utah
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  10:41:15 AM  Show Profile

No fail annual for hotspots: California poppies!
Go to Top of Page

CarolC
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Carol
Santa Fe New Mexico
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Jun 09 2006 :  10:50:06 AM  Show Profile
I wish...the poppies just poop here in my area. Oddly enough, one of the most beautiful plants I have outside in a pot right now is a flat-leaf Italian parsley. I decided not to cut off it for eating purposes because it was so gorgeous. It's getting huge and, now that the grasshoppers are back in the millions, it's one of the few plants they aren't munching on. If you want gorgeous deep green foliage to flesh out your garden or potted plants, it's worth trying. As for the grasshoppers, I tried a recipe I read in a book of molasses, vegetable oil and warm water, placed it in several containers among all the plants and waited to see if the grasshoppers would really drown in it like the book promised. I could barely sleep that night, for the sound of millions of grasshoppers laughing at my silly death traps. The next morning, I found neighborhood cats lapping up the mixture and spilling the sticky goo everywhere. There were no dead grasshoppers to be seen. Alas!

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Annuals for a very hot spot Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page