True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2006 :  3:22:55 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone else out there have yarrow?
Have you noticed that ladybugs seem to love it? They're always crawling all over it...not that I mind, in fact I think it's kind of pretty.

Just wondering if anyone had the same experience.

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  06:12:28 AM  Show Profile
Have you checked your yarrow for aphids? Ladybugs love-love-love them!! I am always happy when I have ladybugs in profusion- it means they are doing their job. (Except when they bite! Boy does that hurt. ) Or, should I worry because I have so much of what they love .
Just don't let them get in the house. We had an invasion one year- Masses of ladybugs covered the windows and walls in my dining room. I would have to get out the hand-held vacuum and suck them up and take them outside. Sometimes they wouldn't make it , but it was a sacrifice that was needed for my sanity!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  06:37:00 AM  Show Profile
I've read & heard that if you have ladybugs, you have a healthy garden. I'll try to find where I read it, I think it was online.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  06:48:19 AM  Show Profile
Some fun Ladybug Lore

In Sweden, folks believe that if a ladybug lands on a young maiden's hand, she will soon be getting married.
If you find a ladybug in your house, count the number of spots and that is how many dollars you will soon receive.
In England, finding a ladybug means that you will have a good harvest.

In France, if you are sick and a ladybug lands on you, when it flies away, it will take the sickness with it.

If a ladybug has more than seven spots, then there will be a famine. If it has less than seven, then there will be a good harvest.

At one time, doctors would mash up ladybugs and put them in a cavity to cure a toothache.

Some people believe that the number of spots on a ladybug indicates how many children you will have.

If you find a ladybug in your house in the winter you will have good luck.

Anne

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  3:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Anne, I love the ladybudy lore! Thank you!

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  3:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
I must be one of the lukiest people then as about every three weeks through out the winter we would find a lady bug in our house. Not sure how they got there other than my husband bought a bag full the previous year and brought it in the house to show my girls ( before releasing them out side in my neighbors yard they had lots of aphids last year) I think some eggs must have fallen out or something like that. It was fun though as I have two daughters that have lady bug bedrooms and they thought it was just great the third was a little mad as she has a butterfly fairy bedroom and wants to know when they will come in the house ( fairies and butterflies that is). not likely

have a lovely day
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2006 :  6:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Some ladybugs overwinter in sheltered places (like inside people's houses). Even if the cracks are small, ladybugs will find their way inside. If the temperature rises a bit in their winter home, they often become active and emerge. It's highly unlikely that the ladybugs you've been seeing in the winter are ones that hatched from eggs.

FYI the official state insect of Ohio is the Convergent Lady Beetle. http://www.ent.iastate.edu/Imagegal/coleoptera/lady/convergentladybeetlejb.html

Interesting side note, the seven spotted ladybug is not native to North America. It was introduced from Europe to control aphids. I'm not sure about other ladybugs, but the five spotted ladybug and the two spotted ladybug are native to North America.

And my favourite ladybug is Chilocorus stigma, or the twice-stabbed ladybeetle. It is shiny black with two bright red spots. http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/beneficial/lady_beetles_a.htm
-Cat
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  3:02:01 PM  Show Profile
There's so much I never knew about ladybugs...

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Ladybugs in my yarrow Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page