True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  1:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Any New York farmgirls out there?

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  1:23:40 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Georgette- I used to be from Ithaca NY until 1986 when I moved to Minnesota. Many welcomes to you , cead mile failte!

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights
Go to Top of Page

RosieRiveter
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Rosie
White Creek NY
45 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  1:30:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi Georgette,

We have a chapter here in eastern-upstate NY near Bennington Vermont - Empire State Mountain FarmGirls. Are you close by?
Rosie
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  1:43:19 PM  Show Profile
Well, without an atlas close by, I don't know if where I am is close to Bennington, I've certainly heard about it. Just last year I met a wonderful man from Colchester and he is now moved in with me. I am in way upstate New York. I work in Potsdam, do you know where that is?

"We need the tonic of wildness, to wade sometimes in marshes where the bittern and the meadow-hen lurk..." Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 18 2006 :  1:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the very warm welcome Beth. I'm having so much fun getting to know everyone here.....it is afterall, only my second day on. (work has been excrutiatingly slow, so I've been online!!)

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  05:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Georgette. I'm in Western New York (Rochester). I've seen several people posting from central and western NY. I have relatives in Canton, quite close to you. I like your Thoreau quote.
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  12:54:00 PM  Show Profile
Hey Georgette,
I'm in Hoosick FAlls, I think your a bit up there yet from us. 2-3 hours yet, I think. WE spend some time in the Adirndacks in the summer, just north of Lake George. How close to there are you? I love your quote also.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 19 2006 :  1:34:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi Marianne, I guess I'm pretty far from Lake George, but that is all relative isn't it? Someday would be nice to meet up with some of the very nice ladies I've been hearing from here. !!

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  07:17:19 AM  Show Profile
Georgette - Welcome! I can tell already that you're going to love this online "family." It's great that you havfe some gals relatively close, too. Enjoy, and again, welcome!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - May 22 2006 :  07:23:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Anne E. Yes, I do love this online "family" very much already!! Have you met anyone from here yet? Thanks for the welcome.

Go to Top of Page

scarlin3
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Susan
Kirkville NY
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  12:48:13 PM  Show Profile
Hello fellow NYers! I'm Susan from Kirkville which is just outside of Syracuse, right smack dab in the middle of the state. We live in a historic home: SugarBush Farm. It was at one point a working farm (I believe it was hay) and its name comes from the fact that we have about 20 sugar maple trees on our property (they are at least 150 yrs old so they're BIG). A group of sugar maples is called a "sugar bush". Over the years all of the land with the farm has been sold, and we bought the homestead with 2 acres about 15 years ago. The closest we get to farming is tapping the trees in the spring for maple syrup, and planting a veggie garden.

I found MJ's gorgeous magazine in the grocery store & the simplicity and "clean & natural" feel really appealed to me. So while I will probably never be a true farmgirl, I'm striving to give my family a "greener" simpler lifestyle.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

dargaonfly1054
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Georgette
Nicholville NY
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  1:32:13 PM  Show Profile
Hello Susan. We're practically neighbors!! I work in Potsdam. Wasn't it an absolutely great magazine? I live on an old dairy/horse farm. Only 5.8 acres, but it allows me to dream of having animals,either a horse or maybe a couple of alpacas!!

Welcome to Maryjanes!!

Go to Top of Page

scarlin3
Farmgirl at Heart

4 Posts

Susan
Kirkville NY
USA
4 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2006 :  5:21:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Georgette!

I'm also a professional seamstress & belong to a national organization. One of our members is also in Potsdam! The name of her business is Burns Design Studio and she's on Hatch Road.

We thought of having alpacas too! We've gone to the alpaca extravaganza that's held at the fairgrounds in October. Just love those animals. The marketing is great about how having alpacas can be profitable (I'd just want them for their wool!), but after giving it serious consideration, the only market for cria's are other alpaca owners. It's really a rather small community & the key is of course getting "new blood" in the group. So, we'll just admire them for now.

We have enough wildlife to sustain us...you know, skunk living under the porch, woodchuck living next to the porch, squirrels in the attic, birds in the eaves, chipmunks & snakes in the foundation, and mice wherever! There's always a good story with wildlife!!

Susan
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic new york farmgirls Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page