countrygrrl
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Christa
New London MN
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile
I've just recentlly joined the Farmgirl Connection, and my subscription to the magazine is just a few issues old. But, even though I'm a newbie, I have been so impressed / excited / intrigued by the obvious community that MaryJanes Farm has fostered -- among women who might otherwise be divided by geography, age, political persuasion, etc. I would love to see a book or handbook full of ideas and inspiration related to building country communities around shared interests and needs. A historical component would be great too, looking at the lessons and examples related to community that earlier generations have to offer.

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  5:26:42 PM  Show Profile
That is a cool idea Christa!! Glad to have you join us:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  5:28:12 PM  Show Profile
Gosh,
This is how I feel as well . Mary Jane's Farm and magazine has helped me to see a whole other side of Farm life, as a essential way to bring back local community. We we're speaking to our Ferrier yesterday, a native American elder, and he said community is the way through future times.
We've built a farm, a huge veggie garden, flower garden, have animals. We're trying to live a self sufficient lifestyle and it's working pretty well.Now I'm working hard to pull in community. We fire up our wood fired bread oven weekly and invite over neighbors and friends to either bake,visit or buy or share a loaf. It's catching on little by little.I'm realizing the local ties more than before.I'm trying to think of ways we can support one another and try to take every opportunity that presents itself to do that.
I'm worried about small farmers loosing their farms in this recession. We have a large local organic grower here whose wife was supporting their farm costs and has now been laid off.They are struggling with a large mortgage and their work truck just broke down.How come our Farm Aid only goes to supporting 80% Large corporations.We need better ways to support each others.
I'd love to see more ideas to bring together rural community.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2010 :  7:51:20 PM  Show Profile
Also just wanted to say that I appreciated the last Magazine article on Land Trusts. I will tell my farmer friend about that idea.It's hard here in California we're three hours away from San Francisco but farm land of any sort is just sooo much money..
Katie
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic A book about community Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page