Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  8:10:19 PM  Show Profile
I just got back from Southern and central Iowa. Many of the barns have a separate painted quilt block mounted on them. They are cool. I know some states have them, but have you thought about putting one up? It's a lot of work as some of these are 8' square. But I am going to put one up called "hole in the barn door". I'll take a picture when it is finished.
Do you decorate your barn? Name of the farm, how old is the barn, painted scenes, etc,?
Let's find out gals, let us know.

Bonnie Ellis

grandmother and orphan farmgirl

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2009 :  10:59:42 PM  Show Profile
I like them too. Is this what you mean?

http://www.smallcityscenes.blogspot.com
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  05:11:25 AM  Show Profile
Marybeth, Is that your building.Wow, that is exactly what I mean. But the ones I have seen have been patchwork blocks usually in Amish colors (subtle color contrasts in intense bright colors).See www.barnquiltsiowa.com. They are awesome.
Enjoy!

Bonnie Ellis

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  6:40:04 PM  Show Profile
Wow, Mary Beth! That is gorgeous! Is it your barn?
I know what you are describing, Bonnie! Can't wait to see your barn quilt. IA state fairgrounds is putting up a new building. They are asking residents to design a geometric, quilt block representing their county. Two from each of the 99 counties will be chosen, and made into tiles and placed into an outside wall of the building. Cool beans!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2009 :  8:34:13 PM  Show Profile
Wouldn't you know it, Mary Jane is ahead of all of us. In the Sept/Oct issue she already has barn quilts. Way to go gal.

Bonnie Ellis

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  10:24:28 AM  Show Profile
I always plant sunflowers in front of our barn. This year we planted nastruiums, zinnas & autumn beautys. The red barn really shows them off. I'll have to post a picture on my blog.

I love barns!!! When we moved into this house 2001, my mom made us a barn quilt that has been hanging in our entry way ever since with a barbed wire wreath, chicken bells and family picture in front of the barn. So fun.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & MRET ~ Energy Healing & Wellness Coaching Sessions

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Leezard
True Blue Farmgirl

950 Posts

Elizabeth
Novi MI
USA
950 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2009 :  9:02:11 PM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about doing something like that on the barn at my parent's farm. My mom just has to decide which block she'd like!

http://ruby--slippers.blogspot.com/
www.leezard.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Shery Jespersen
True Blue Farmgirl

115 Posts

Shery
Upton Wyoming
USA
115 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2009 :  3:43:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to do this on the loft door of our barn and or the 2 doors below. I may go with pure white and mimic stipple stitches on the doors and create the feathered circles with the cross-hatch grid within...we'll see. Or maybe a more colorful quilt block. That's a next summer project and I've got all winter to stew in ideas. shery jespersen

Edited by - Shery Jespersen on Sep 18 2009 3:47:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2009 :  10:58:44 AM  Show Profile
I hadnt seen these before the magazine came out. I live in the land of "see rock city" signs adorning barns. But a lovely quilt would be really fun. :) I loveed the trompe loile (did I spell that right) designs with the shaded stitches are especially lovely. I wonder if there might be a market to paint and sell these?

Not all those who wander are lost...
www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Oct 26 2009 :  09:46:35 AM  Show Profile
leezard,
Maybe some of us farmgirls of the Mitten could help you with the painting project. it could be lots of fun
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com

Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

thegypsychic
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Amy
San Antonio TX
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2009 :  08:08:38 AM  Show Profile
I just love the barn quilts, they are just beautiful. I can't wait to see it when it is finished!

-Blessings,
Amy

Stop bye and say hello! https://thegypsychic.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Carrie W
Farmgirl Legend/Chapter Guru

437 Posts

Saratoga Springs New York
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  10:44:16 AM  Show Profile
My husband has promised to build me a framed "canvas" so that I can paint a quilt to hang on the front of our 2-story garage/workshop. It will face the road and be visible to all traffic approaching from the south. I just need some inspiration...don't know what to paint and so many quilt patterns to choose from!

Carrie

www.totallykadeshfarm.blogspot.com

Farmgirl Sisterhood #147

Tis better to weep at joy than to joy at weeping--Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  4:31:53 PM  Show Profile
MMMMmmm I need a barn. Sounds beautiful.

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Leelee
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Wraylee
Diamond WA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  5:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Glad to see this post!!! My sister and I are planning a full scale barn quilt project this spring... one for the front which can be seen from the house, one for the back which can be seen from the road, and one for the brooding room just for fun! I saw some links in this post, they'll provide some great inspiration!

Feeling down? Saddle up!
www.quiltcropandcabbage.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carol
Moderator/MaryJane's Design Diva

452 Posts

Carol
Moscow Idaho
USA
452 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2010 :  5:21:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Carrie and other barn-quilt enthusiasts!
Well, great minds DO think alike -- I just finished a page for our next magazine (April/May issue) about using the barn quilt idea on garages -- for suburban farmgirls! So be on the lookout for our take on that around mid-March, when that magazine hits the stands.
Carol

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming 'WOO HOO, what a ride!'"
Go to Top of Page

MeadowCrone
True Blue Farmgirl

220 Posts

Bernadine
Island Park and Salem ID
USA
220 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  05:33:20 AM  Show Profile
Very cool!

www.muckingbootsandmagic.blogspot.com

www.meadowcrone.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  05:44:40 AM  Show Profile
I have seen these barn quilts in about 5 states...awesome! Here is a link to barn quilt projects all over the US http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltbarnstrails/Quilt_Barns_and_Quilt_Trails.htm I think garage or chicken coop quilts would be a great project to do after planting season.

Why not go out on a limb, that's where all the fruit is! "Mark Twain"
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  2:36:13 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a barn as I live in town, but I am planning a chicken coop this spring, I think a coop quilt is in order.

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

http://www.myfeetaredirty.blogspot.com/
http://www.iglitteredthecat.blogspot.com/
http://www.glitterandgrunge.com/ (turner hill studio)
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TurnerHillStudio/
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2010 :  11:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Julia, I love the idea of making one for your coop. I was thinking how cute would it be to put one on the bottom of each of the dutch doors in my new horse barn when it gets built..??

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  11:24:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh girls, I love your ideas. Chicken coop mini quilts! keep those ideas coming. Bonnie

Go to Top of Page

biker farm girl
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Patty
Mtn. View Oklahoma
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  10:51:40 AM  Show Profile
How about decorating the Inside of your barns? I have made a sign for my new hen house. It has a heart with chicken wings and an egg inside the heart. A banner goes around the bottom part of the sign declaring "There ain't nobody here but us chickens!" I painted it with acrylics on wood, drilled 2 holes, tied a shoestring in it and my hubby helped me get it centered over the window with a couple of screws. I think I'll make curtains for the henhouse, too, out of dishtowels with roosters on them. This summer I may get a coop quilt painted on the door of the hen house. Right now I am working on a sign for the milking barn and a sign for my Dear Daughter in Law's square foot garden.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2010 :  11:54:48 AM  Show Profile
I have always put those metal signs that you find on the freeway or street signs on mine. I saw a pbs show on the barn quilts and they say there are 33 states that have maps to them. My barn can't handle an 8 ft one, but my plan is to do something on a smaller scale. I am leaning towards the flower basket one. I am also thinking of doing one (another small one) for my chicken house. I dont know what to put on it though, any ideas?

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

Sarahpauline
True Blue Farmgirl

672 Posts

sarah
Ringgold GA
USA
672 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  11:19:45 AM  Show Profile
What about doing one floor cloth style on a pre finished canvas drop cloth. If you coated it in non-yellowing poly it should last a good long time, and those already have grommets for easy hanging.

Oh Mr Darcy!

www.SarahPauline.com
www.AbraxasBaroque.com
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Decorating your barn Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page