kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  4:45:07 PM  Show Profile
floats, does that mean it's rotten or is it the opposite? I just found ANOTHER nest of eggs and need to know if they might be bad. Darn ole chickens! They are laying all over the place. So the 2 eggs I have in water are not floating.

Thanks. Kris

Happiness is simple.

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2899 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2899 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  5:21:51 PM  Show Profile
If it floats its bad Kris..air causes spoilage, & the insides kinda "dry up" (like us old gals!!), causing more air, & floating eggs.
Go to Top of Page

Karrieann
True Blue Farmgirl

1900 Posts

Karrieann
Northeast Georgia
USA
1900 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  6:38:34 PM  Show Profile
LOL Lisa!
but yep it is bad if it floats!

Karrieann ~ Farmgirl Sister #766 (29 Sept 2009)

My Blog: ...following my heart, dreams and Jesus
...http://karrieann-followingmyheartandjesus.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  06:48:31 AM  Show Profile
That is too funny, Lisa! But thanks. They did not float. And I need all the eggs I can find right now. Silly hens. They are all over the place. I have to go on egg hunts every day to find them. I sure wish they were all in a pen so I didn't have to do this. But it is kinda fun.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  07:16:35 AM  Show Profile
My Mom always told me to remember it like this:

If it FLOATS, FlING IT
If it SINKS, SAVE IT

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  07:51:03 AM  Show Profile
You can also candle them, Kris, using a bright LED flashlight. That is what I do. As an egg ages, the air cell in the end of the egg increases as moisture is lost through the shell. So, bigger air space means older egg. A freshly laid egg will have a very small air cell. Say, almost not even noticable to about 1/4" in width. When you start getting bigger than about 1/2", they're getting on up there. I candle every one of my eggs before I put them in the fridge. It is fun to look inside the egg and plus, you can also check for any blood spots, too. I do this mainly for my customers, not for me!

So, if one end of the egg floats, chunk it!

I don't let out my hens until about 3-4pm when I know they are done laying eggs. I know you said yours roost on the fence and trees. If I tried that here, they'd be gone overnight! We have a TON of coons and coyotes. I am also about to clip my hen's wings since we will be putting them in a 4' fence soon, which they can easily clear. It's very easy and keeps them from getting into trouble! Lol.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  09:07:38 AM  Show Profile
Luanne, I will try to remember that. I should be able to. Float, fling. Sink, save. That's good they start with the same letters. Thanks.

Amanda, my whole yard is fenced. And the back has electric fence. But something did get in the goat barn and killed a hen and a chick last week. I need to make it tighter in there so nothing can get in. It needs a new door for sure. I just don't think a chicken house can be completely preditor proof. If something wants in it will get in. That's why I can't clip wings too. Or they wouldn't be able to get in the trees. I think they feel safer up there.

I need to go ahead and take a candling class. But the only one in about 100 miles from here. It's free but still far. Thanks for the instructions. I will try it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

tea_lady_tammy
True Blue Farmgirl

1485 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
1485 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:54:21 AM  Show Profile
I learned something new today. I did not know this and I definitely like the float, fling, sink save I can remember that. Wow!

hugs
Tammy

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  12:38:18 PM  Show Profile
That's what I like about this place. I learn things all the time here.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

msdoolittle
True Blue Farmgirl

1143 Posts

Amanda
East Texas
USA
1143 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  8:47:53 PM  Show Profile
Kristin,

I believe that the only way to build a coop is to pretty much build a wire 'box', if you will. You can't use chicken wire or welded wire either, because both are easy to break for a predator. I use the woven wire, 2"x4" holes, covered in 1/4" 'hardware cloth' wire. For my new coop, it will be off the ground, and I am plugging every tiny hole down to a 1/4"! Tired of snakes in the hen house. Anyway, THIS time it'll be built like Fort Knox. The other coop I have was already on the property, and quite frankly it pretty much stinks! I would like to re-do it as well.

I also use a chicken tractor and SO FAR, nothing has gotten in there. It is completely covered in the 1/4" wire.
Predators will take any advantage you give to them for sure.

FarmGirl #1390
www.mylittlecountry.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic If an egg Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page