knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  1:04:05 PM  Show Profile
This might be a really silly question, but I need to know so I better ask:)

About how long is fresh whey good for? I used some in a recipe today as a replacement for buttermilk and it turned out pretty well. The muffins seemed to be the same. My kids ate them up as soon as they came out of the oven and if they can't tell then I'm goooddd!

I separated it out into usable increments and put it in the fridge. Is that how it should be stored?

Also, what all can use it for/in?

Thanks, all.

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum

quiltin mama
True Blue Farmgirl

436 Posts

Heather
Crescent City CA
USA
436 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  06:23:06 AM  Show Profile
I don't know an actual time line for "freshness" but I would think that whey would last for at least a month in the fridge. But again, that would just be my guess. In our home it doesn't last that long.
I use whey in soaking all of my flours for pancakes, breads, etc. I also use it in my homemade baby forumla. Whey works as a neutralizer and is ultra benficial in aiding in digestion. I store mine in a pint mason jar in the fridge.

my blog www.mountainhomequilts.blogspot.com
handmade quilts on etsy www.mountainhomequilts.etsy.com

Edited by - quiltin mama on Jun 20 2010 06:23:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  07:31:24 AM  Show Profile
Thank you so much. So far I've made muffins, dumplings', and bread with it. I didn’t know that is was helpful with digestion. Good information!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

CyndiAnn
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Cyndi
Crystal MN
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2010 :  10:04:28 AM  Show Profile
I'm new at this & have just started to use fresh whey - I've also had good results using it in baking! From what I've been reading, fresh whey is good for several months as long as it is stored in the refridgerator in a glass jar. I didn't know about it being good for digestion either! Thanks for the info!

Cyndi
Go to Top of Page

KLA Farms
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

Tatum
Arboles CO
USA
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  11:11:59 AM  Show Profile
Check out lacto-fermentation for more on how whey is so helpful in digestion. The book "Nourishing Traditions" has many recipes that use whey and though I surely do not agree with everything in the book it is very helpful giving ways to preserve food with whey and without canning.

Farmin' 4 Him!
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  10:43:00 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Tatum, I'll check it out.

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  1:15:21 PM  Show Profile
I was talking to someone the other day and they said it's really good for the soil. SOmeone else said they had heard of a study using skim milk on pastures. So they are trying it on a little part and have seen a big difference in the soil they are pouring milk on. So I think I might try some too. Just to see. Maybe take a 10x10 area and see what happens. Couldn'y hurt to try.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  1:24:32 PM  Show Profile
That sounds so neat! I wish I had enough milk to try it. Let me know how it works for you. Kris, you always come up with the coolest stuff. When I grow up I want to be you....:)

~Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Singing Tree Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Cari
Chase Michigan
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  3:35:39 PM  Show Profile
Ashley, Nourishing Traditions says that whey will keep for about six months.

Kris, my parents where tellig me they had just read about that. Possibly in Acres magazine, I don't remember right now. They would delute the milk down and it went quite far I thought. Very interesting to know more about. Especially because I had one cow freshen yesterday and another one over due.

All of creation sings Your praise!
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  3:47:01 PM  Show Profile
Well, milk sure is amazing. Good for everything. So why not good for the soil too? I love that book NT. What kind of cows do you have, Cari? That's so exciting. And what did she have? Are you milking already?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Whey? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page