Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farmgirl Fashion
 Raggedy Ann In A Barbie World
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Raggedy Ann In A Barbie World Next Topic
Page: of 4

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 03 2010 :  7:19:12 PM  Show Profile
Raggedy Ann deserves to be in the Cluck and so do you -- how great!. My husband and I use the Raggedy Ann image all the time now -- it's almost shorthand for I love you the way you are. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  5:35:39 PM  Show Profile
You girls are just too funny! Yes, I, too, am a Raggedy Ann... The thing is, Raggedy Ann has a heart, where Barbie does not!!! I agree wholeheartedly with all of you. I hate going into the mall anymore and avoid it at all costs. I miss pretty, feminine clothes. I was at the mall the other day with my son for the first time since I-can't-remember-when and I was horrified at the trendy, trashy looks for young ladies and women! And if you go to women's stores, at least around here, it feels as though all they have out there are manly or unisex looking clothing with huge, ugly prints that are anything but feminine and flattering. I have to laugh and blush, because I still wear clothes from when I was carrying my son 14 years ago - or from shortly there afterwards! Of course, some are just sleepwear now... and some have been altered for fit or for use... But I can't find anything I'm comfortable wearing at all. I love my jeans and tees... I love my denim capris... I love my sweaters and boots... But I would really love to feel like a girl in my clothes - and not one all cheaped up! I have really been considering investing in a sewing machine and trying to sew my own clothes, but it's a little intimidating - I haven't done that since junior high! I do have an old American Vibrator - now, stop laughing! That's really truly and honest-to-Pete the name of the sewing machine! I know it runs, but I haven't a clue how to operate it - it has been that long! Any ideas or suggestions for a reasonably priced new one? I'm willing to try - I just can't remember how to work it, it's been that long!

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!
Go to Top of Page

knittinchick
True Blue Farmgirl

1854 Posts

Megan
Wisconsin
1854 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  9:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jeanie! While I can't give you sewing advice (I can barely sew myself:), I can share my favorite store that sells good quality clothes that aren't too too expensive. I love Ann Taylor Loft! In my opinion, their clothes are girly, semi-modest/not trashy, and if you buy the right size, they fit amazing and last forever! I hope you find luck in your clothing excursion!
God's Blessings,
Megan aka Loretta Rae

At heart, I am both a sassy city girl and a down-home country gal.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2010 :  10:16:56 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Megan! I haven't shopped at Ann Taylor in years!!! I'll have to revisit! Great suggestion! :) - Nini (Jeannie)

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  05:05:55 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, girls! Just a quick correction: my hubby reminded me this morning that it's a Domestic Vibrator machine, not an American Vibrator. He also said if any of you can help me get it up, running and in use, he'd be extremely grateful! :) We bought it about 20 years ago, paid to have it readied and working, received a two minute run through from the repair man (he was out of business shortly thereafter), found out there was no manual, and then it's been sitting as a lovely side table ever since (previous owner had a custom cabinet built for it so it looks like a lovely old piece of furniture). Believe it or not, my husband is the one who sews, mending all his work clothes by hand. If we can get this working, he'd be thrilled to use it as much as I would! :) Have a warm and wonderful day! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  07:13:28 AM  Show Profile
Try a search on the internet for the manual. I've found several for older machines I have including a White Treadle (ready for fall when I'll have some time to learn to use it). Check into some adult ed classes in your area on beginning sewing -- Simplicity's Simply Best Sewing book (spiral bound) is a good source as well. I returned to sewing my own clothes after not sewing much since high school. You'll find that a lot of it comes back to you. There are some Easy to Sew patterns now that are fun and fast (I like to see my projects move along quickly).

As I like to wear things that not everyone else is wearing, and I like to keep my cleavage to myself, I tend to sew, to buy classic styles, and to get things at thrift stores or garage sales. I love scarfs -- very feminine and fun. So I pick those up whenever I see a good deal.

Also, check out the Stitching Room forum here -- someone might have a manual for the Vibrator machine (great name). Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

herblady55
True Blue Farmgirl

3470 Posts

Judy
Louisville Ohio(Stark Co)
USA
3470 Posts

Posted - Aug 07 2010 :  11:44:15 AM  Show Profile
Ok....That name made me giggle, and really, I do have a clean mind. I asked my Mum if she remembers that name. She said she has an old Domestic she bought in May of 1953. It doesn't have any other name on it anywhere, just Domestic.It was a demonstrator and she didn't get a manual either. A man came around to the house showing it. ...back when door-to-door was popular. We lived out in the sticks so that's how things were done then. I still wouldn't trade my life growing up out there for "Love nor Money!" I sewed on that machine all the time, just never knew the name of it. It's black and HEAVY!!! My Sister was born in 1952 and I in 1955, so lots of clothes for us were made on that sturdy machine. I guess I'll have to look on-line for a manual for her too. Good luck with your sewing endeavors. It really is easy to pick it up again....like riding a bike.

Sister-chick# 905(Sept.14th 2009)
Judy
Hugs&Squeezles!
I am not contained between my hat and my boots! -Walt Whitman-
Go to Top of Page

florina
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Christine
Sheboygan WI
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  04:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Yes, I deffinetly know what you mean! I hate shopping for clothes. There's not much out there. One of my favorite stores is CJ Banks, at least there clothes are more down to earth, but expensive. I always watch for sales and have gotten good deals as well as keep my eyes open at resale stores for their labels. I can usually spot a clothing item from them. My other favorite is the clothes from Cracker Barrel Store/Restaurant they are also good quality and have gotten good deals 50-80% off. They wear very well and keep looking good, Pretty soon I think I'm going to go back to sewing my own stuff, at least I know the quality also going to look at redesigning other items for a new look. Just wish I had more time, this working outside the home just takes up to much valuable time and not much time for the fun stuff a country gal wants to do!

Hugs, Christine aka: "Florina"

"Have a little bit of Fun everyday!
Do the things you love!
Go to Top of Page

shunger
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Suzanne
Helena MT
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2010 :  10:21:14 AM  Show Profile
I was just thinking this morning that working outside home takes up too much time. I was runnign back and forth between garden and stitching room. I hope to take a few days off in September to just do home things.

I have finished a doll's body today. Suzanne
Go to Top of Page

MTNSunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

111 Posts

Sunny
Tollhouse CA
USA
111 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2010 :  11:19:41 PM  Show Profile
I love Anthropologie. They have amazing sales too. But my motto is "if I can't wear it with my boots I'm not wearing it!" ;o)

Proud FarmGirl #914 ;o)
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2010 :  7:23:43 PM  Show Profile
I just found this thread. I have that saying hung up on my wall. I have always been a Raggedy ann . No barbie doll here.... Boy I wish I lived closer to help you get your old machine up and running again.. That would be so much fun. I would find another sewing shop that cleans machines and take it in for a good cleaning and start there....They all work basically the same...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  08:43:38 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Heck, some days I don't even look as pulled together as Raggedy Ann!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  10:46:48 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to agree with Judy, I'm probably half Holly Hobby and maybe half Ms Beazley for those that remember her. My man loves my country look. He doesn't like a lot of makeup either. (I just adore him to death lol). I regret I got rid of my bibs a couple years ago in an effort to conform to the legal office dress code and the guy I was dating. Never again. I'm now replacing outfits for the office and at home with things I love and that are comfortable. I'd love to live in bibs and a tank. The problem is finding clothes to wear now. The Goodwills and such around here are filled with that fashion junk. Christopher & Banks is about the only store that carries somewhat country fashion, but even their stock has changed the last couple years. Anybody know of any others?

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2010 :  10:49:44 AM  Show Profile
If you girls are lucky enough to have a Farm and Fleet nearby...they have the best country girl clothes at great prices. They carry overalls year round!

I used to be cute, now I am just comfortable!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

highlandviewpantry
True Blue Farmgirl

214 Posts

WV
USA
214 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2011 :  2:17:53 PM  Show Profile
I like comfy clothes and when I have to get dressed up I am always stressed. I need to invest in one or two nicer outfits and be done with it.

www.thehighlandviewpantry.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

HookAngel
True Blue Farmgirl

253 Posts

Bren
CA
USA
253 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2011 :  11:15:37 PM  Show Profile
LOL... i just found this thread and what a wonderful bunch of posts from down to earth lovely ladies!!! I am still laughing about living in a barbie world..lol.. I live in southern california and am surrounded with mostly barbies here, I am stressed too everytime i have to get dressed up, i love my comfy, rag ann, holly hobby,clothes but here sometimes i have to conform a bit and i dont like it at all... lucky ducks who can live where you can be yourself in your dressing styles.... you are blessed.
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2011 :  11:46:15 AM  Show Profile
I just found this thread, too. After many years in the "big city office" workplace and having to wear "suitable" outfits (hard to do when I was a single mother of two at the time, I finally realized that it wasn't me and started to wear what I was comfortable in. Now that I live in the country I feel "real" - I just wasn't a big city girl at heart. It's a rare occasion when I get dressed up for something special and even then I dress for me and not someone else. Jeans and t-shirts and boots are my year-round outfit. I also wear a hat or cap most times cause I don't mess with my hair unless I have to go into the big city to shop. It's a ponytail or pigtails for me. After all the talk about overalls I've got to dig mine out and see if they fit. Glad I found this thread. It's fun to know that there are other farmgirls out there who think and dress like I do.
Go to Top of Page

FG-Terri
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Theresa
Newport News VA
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2011 :  8:07:09 PM  Show Profile
Totally agree with you ladies, lol, I love being a Raggedy Ann! Give me jeans any day!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  4:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Bren, from So Cal myself! So, I know what you are saying. Lived for 20 plus yars in Joshua Tree tho so it was pretty rural there. Now, in Ks and surrounded by farmland. In the city here so there are the farm casual and the more 'elite'. I am 56 and I am totally into comfortable!! Think I have always been a Raggedy Ann myself!! I certainly do not live in the Barbie world, LOL!! More like the square peg in a round hole, he he he.

Blessings, Linda

www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bboopster
True Blue Farmgirl

1140 Posts

Betty Jo
West Bend Wisconsin
USA
1140 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2011 :  6:09:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see bboopster's MSN Messenger address
My mother raised me to married that wealthy guy who would take care of me for life. Ballet lessons, manners and how to dress. But Grandpa would sneak me into the garage every chance he could. You maybe a girl but you need to be able to take care of yourself. Taught me the finer things about automobiles and how to repair them. Deer hunting, fishing and gardening where other skills he taught me too. Of course I married the man my mother raised me to and enjoyed the June Cleaver life. Next thing I know I am a single mother of 5. Thanks to my new DH I am back into the garage. Although it is a motorcycle shop this time. I also am back to my gardens, camping and the outdoors. I do not hunt or fish any more but that's Ok. I love my bibs and t shirts. I love long t-shirt dresses with sweaters, sweatshirt and flannel shirts. I do not match at times but then I live in the woods and nature does not care. I wear make up only when I need to be present in Barbie's world. I do miss making cocktail and party dresses But love being just simple and earthy.

http://www.bboopster.blogspot.com
Nana to 4 with 1 on the way.
3 Blue Star Mother and Proud of it!
Pray for our troops to come home safe and soon.
Enjoying the road to the simple life :>)
Go to Top of Page

happyworkerbee
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Theresa
St. Maries Idaho
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2011 :  4:53:39 PM  Show Profile  Send happyworkerbee a Yahoo! Message
These comments make me feel better. I can not tell you how many times I have felt like raggedy ann surrounded by Barbie and all of her friends. My daughter teases me because I am not into bling. I am simple, and fortunate enough to wear jeans to work. (top too)lol. I live on the side of a mountain in North Idaho in the slush, mud, snow and horse poop. I am sure that Barbies heels would not be the thing to wear. As far as thrift stores go, SIGN ME UP,I love 'em. Long live the country bumkin
Theresa
Farmgirl #2811

Some times all you can do is wait for some kind soul to pull you out of the mess you'd gotten yourself into...
Go to Top of Page

CMac
True Blue Farmgirl

1074 Posts

Connie
Ashland City TN
USA
1074 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2011 :  4:53:49 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE you guys! I think I am 3/4 and 1/4. I sooo rarely have to dress for others anymore. Thank goodness! But today was one of those 1/4 days. Had to go to the city for a meeting regarding our business. Like you Brenda, I have Ann Taylor classic on hand for these occasions. However, I draw the line at shoes that make me walk funny and are impossible to run in. I saw two women today that were in heels so high and spiked they walked with that "I can't use my ankles cause they are so hyper extended" walk. For the life of me I just don't see what is attractive about that. The shoes were pretty but what they did to those women was not. OK off my soap box now.
I wear jeans, overalls, T shirts and casual skirts and most everything is cotton. I do love fleece in winter. I have overalls in fleece! Used them way to much this winter. Brrrr If I am around the rivers I wear quick dry stuff (synthetic) cause the dam controlled water is so cold even in summer.
I love Goodwill and discount store sales too. I can't remember the last time I was in a mall. I object to the prices and quality and I really dislike the atmosphere of malls. Too many people wanting too much stuff!
I heard a quote that stuck with me. "There will never be enough of the stuff I really don't need." Wish I could credit the person that said it but I don't think I ever knew who it was.
I think I'll be all right in both worlds as long as I still want too. I'm looking forward to being that old lady that does just as she pleases with no meaningful consequence left for the world to dish out. Wonder what the Banker would have thought if I showed up in dirty overalls?

"I have three chairs in my house: one for solitude, two for friendship, three for company."
Author: Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2011 :  2:03:04 PM  Show Profile
I grow up in the 60's & one of the things I loved was the smock tops...I finaly found a real pattern for them on Ebay this last year...I even made one for my older sis who remembered them & loved them also. I never was a barbie...at 5'7' with a hour glass figure I was never made for those type of clothes I must say I did at one tome wish my boobs were small enough so I could go braless!!! But I am a swing low type of girl/hen & thats not something I want to see on anyone much less me! I have always been cheap when it comes to me, thrift shops & yard sales have always been the funniest places to find things & if they don't fit but I like the material I get out the sewing machine & create something new. The thing I regret the most is not wearing good shoes as now at the age of over 50 I have alot of problems with my feet because of high arches that scream at everything I wear.....but I love the older worn skirts, dresses that look like they have been worn forever but I do also wear clothes I make that are from the 1930's & 1950's just not to anything fancy as I never go anywhere fancy...but you can see me out in my garden, yard or in the chicken coop with these outfits on! ...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  04:15:46 AM  Show Profile
I was shopping with DH at Gander Mountain the other day. We were buying shooting vests to wear while shooting sporting clays. I wandered over to the women's clothing area and found a lot of well made, rugged and cute clothing that is made in the USA! Shorts, capris, shirts, and jackets. I was surprised to see the labels and the prices were reasonable.

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

tammyknit
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Tammy
Reedsburg WI
USA
135 Posts

Posted - May 11 2011 :  2:42:18 PM  Show Profile
Jeans, T-shirts, sweats...that is a work uniform. I am so glad I get to work at home most of the time. I keep a couple of pairs of dress slacks and some hand-knit sweaters around for the weekends when I have to work at the hospital and not just at home. My DD at 11 is the same way, only wants to wear jeans or t-shirts...no primping for her, which saves me a lot of money. Definitely a Raggedy Ann in a Barbie Doll world! She even has a sign to that effect in her bedroom from my sister.

Tammy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farmgirl Fashion: Previous Topic Raggedy Ann In A Barbie World Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page