sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2010 :  2:10:59 PM  Show Profile
I've always felt a kinship with Maryjane and her unique ideals and values. After reading the Lifebook and the Stitching Room, I thought I had reached the pinnacle of sisterhood.

Imagine my surprise when I received my new copy of MaryJane's Outpost and there is a picture of the Red Castle formation in the high country of the Uinta Mountains. I always knew that Maryjane worked in the Uintas as a high country ranger. I didn't know that she worked in the area that I hold so dear.

Maryjane.....I spent my honeymoon at the base of Red Castle at the middle lake. Our honeymoon suite was a one-man back packing tent and my limousine was my own two feet. I have wonderful memories of tickling fish (yes....with my hands) (I also did not know it was illegal)skinny dipping in the upper lake (didn't last long because it was soooo cold)trekking up the switch backs, crossing the cute bridges that the rangers took care of, and fly fishing on the day before my license kicked in. (I was young and stupid, OK?)

Another trip to Red Castle was made with my two sisters. We had planned on five days at the middle lake. When we arrived at our camp spot, my oldest sister became ill. She was suffering from altitude sickness. I sent her down with a nice ranger on a horse and I carried both of our packs totaling about 110 lbs. This was the day I learned to pack light. :o)

My mom retired from the Forest Service after 20 plus years and I have spent more than one summer day on a forest fire handing out sandwiches and coffee to exhausted firefighters who just needed a place to sit down.

I sat in an emergency room with a bad cut on my knee and heard a Forest Service Firefighter (who had just had his fingers cut off) tell the doctor to take of that little girl in the next bed first.

The Uintas hold a place dear in my heart, for some of the best times of my youth were spent in those mountains. I learned more practical life lessons in the Uinta Mountains than anywhere else I have ever been.

Thanks, Maryjane for taking me down memory lane and for sharing your experiences with us. Sharing a peek into your life can open a whole new dimension into another person's life. That is how powerful words are.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!
  Outpost: Previous Topic Red Castle in the Uintas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page