MissLiss
Farmgirl Legend Schoolmarm

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  1:07:00 PM  Show Profile
Hello ladies! I am about 6 months preggers and we just found out we are having our second baby girl! We are so excited that our only child will now be a big sister! But now we are having name troubles! With our first, my husband was so stubborn and after picking the name Madison, would not even consider any of the names I suggested. I was ok with Madison and was so excited just to be having my first baby that we could have named her Umby Chumby for all I cared. But this time he has picked Reagan and while I think that is a cute name, I am much more interested in having a say in the name picking. I am fond of the name Megan. I think Madison and Megan (Maddie and Meg) sound cute together and I am much more fond of traditional and old fashioned names than the more "modern" ones. I would love to name her Helen after my grandmother, but I know that is WAY too old fashioned to even present to my hubby. So I guess I'm wondering if any of you have had a problem like this, where your hubby dominated the name game and how you handled it or what. I know in the end all I really care about is having a healthy baby girl, but it would be nice to have a name that I like saying 500 times a day for the rest of my life! Also, if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Maybe I'll find one that we BOTH like! By the way, our last name is Bailey, which kind of puts a limit on names like Hailey!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Mother Hen to The Knitty Gritty Farmgirls of the Inland Empire

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  1:29:47 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations! I loooove my baby girl, Violet Mae!!

We had a similar issue in that we had decided a million years ago "what" names our children would be, even though it was more like saying, "I like cheese" than committing to actual children!! My husband loved the name Nora Doe, and so did I, but over the years, there were a lot of other names I also liked...so when we found out we were having a little girl, I tossed out maybe "not" using Nora and we had an all out fight over it. And then he came around...You just have to play your cards when you feel like he's open to discussion. Around here, the names you like, Madison and Megan, are everywhere. There are legions of Madison's at Target, every time I go!!! And Meghan always ranks top in the Cincinnati Enquirer for a still-very-popular name. My friend's little girl, Lily, goes to school with Meghan 1, Meghan 2 and Meghan 3...

We had quite a list of names after he decided to be flexible :) We like old names, and my grandmother's name was Helen, but we didn't like it with our last name.

We have a chalkboard in the kitchen, and almost every night, one of us would add a name. We limited the names to 5 or so, so it wouldn't be overwhelming.

On the list was:

Ella
Amelia
Violet
Odessa
and one other I can't recall!!!

We picked Violet...my favorite springtime harbinger--and her middle name is Mae, after my great great grandmother.

We did a lot of family-tree searching, and it's a great way to find different, but traditional names.

I still would love to use our boy names, but I think we're sticking with one right now...

Musings from our family in the Bluegrass http://sweetvioletmae.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

1badmamawolf
True Blue Farmgirl

2199 Posts

Teresa
"Bent Fence Farms" Ca
USA
2199 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  1:49:14 PM  Show Profile
Well, I too like old fashioned names, my daughters name is Lara, and if I had, had another girl, her name would have been Brianna. My step granddaughters name is Reily lynn, and I do like that name. I also love the name Katherine. Good luck with the name game.

"Treat the earth well, it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  2:00:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melissa- I am sensing a Presidential naming pattern in the names your husband likes! Honestly, my husband had a bit to-do about the middle name. I had a bad experience with a gal with that name and told him absolutely not. He didn't like that one bit but we ended up using that as a stepping stone and finding/making one that worked for both of us.

Jonni- I am incredibly disappointed that you didn't use Nora for Violet. Okay not really, but I think it's neat that you wanted to use Nora for so long!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2010 :  4:36:20 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Melissa! I had the same problem with my husband. Our first born was a boy and he liked the name Van, but with the last name Austin it looked like just a Dutch last name. I spelled it Vann and he won the name game on that one. I really like it now. My second was a girl and I liked Teal. He didn't, we compromised with Shannon, her middle name is Star. I like all your names. Do you want it to start with an M like Melissa and Madison? I love Megan or Molly, not too fond of Reagan (the name, not the president). Molly Helen Bailey.

Age only matters if you are wine or cheese.
http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  07:35:17 AM  Show Profile
Congratualtions! I love the name Megan, and it is sooo cute with Meg and Maddie. Tell your husband he can pick the middle name and if you carry the baby you name her!!! He can pick the first name when he carries the baby. Only fair, dontcha think?

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  09:53:56 AM  Show Profile
Ha, you are too right Nicole! And I don't care what the name starts with...My hubby picked Madison which just happened to start with an M and I just happen to like Megan, but I'm open to anything. Jonni, I LOVE the name Violet but hubby thinks it's TOO old fashioned - he's also really into the whole hollywood celebrity following thing and now that Jennifer Garner and Ben Afleck have a little girl named Violet he thinks it's too trendy! What? Anyway, I do love the old fashioned names and would love to use Helen for my grandmother, interestingly we do already know a little kid Helen (who goes by her middle name for a nickname). I try to use this as an argument that it's not THAT old fashioned, but that so far hasn't worked. I also love the name Charlotte (Charlie), Hannah and Adelaide. The hubby decided that Charlotte was too French and up-tight. Hannah would get called Hannah Montana all the time and Adelaide was just plain strange. I think it's cute but also a name that could work for an adult. I hate names that are TOO cutsie so that as an adult you can't take a person seriously. I knew a girl growing up named Bunny. Like her real, entire name was Bunny. How is Bunny ever going to be taken seriously if she goes into the corporate world or wants to be a lawyer or a doctor? I hate to be generalizing like this but if there is a list of lawyers in a phone book and Bunny Stevens is listed right under Adelaide Bailey, wouldn't you rather go for the Adelaide? Just a thought. I wouldn't want to disadvantage my kiddo from the get go. You know? No offense to anyone out there named Bunny, I'm sure you're all very nice people. It just seems like it would be hard living with a name like that. And YES!!!! Madison is SUCH a popular name right now! We know SO many Madisons...I really hope not to have that problem with our second. I'm a Melissa born in a generation of Melissa, Jennifer and Jessicas. I know what it's like to be a #2 or #3! They called me M&M in school because there were so many other Melissa's but I was the only one whose last name also started with an M. It made it easier. Melissa S., Melissa E., Melissa R., Melissa L., and M&M. It would be nice to have a name that wasn't TOO different but that nobody else at school has.

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

Butterscotch Grove
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

Melissa
Fairbanks AK
196 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  10:44:04 AM  Show Profile
How about Margaret? Megan and Molly are both nicknames of Margaret, and there are many others, including Peggy and Polly (which would avoid the matching first initial issue, if you wanted to avoid it). We named our daughter "Elizabeth," but call her "Eliza;" this way, when she is older, if she wants to call herself "Beth" or "Liz" or "Ellie," she can. Different mood, different name. (This is actually something I got from an Anne of Green Gables book...maybe "Anne of Windy Poplars"?)

I read your thing about "Bunny" to DH - he said he knew a girl named "Bunny" but, get this, spelled with an "i" - yup that girl is never going to be a lawyer. As a teacher, he hears some great ones. His test of appropriateness is if you could add "Grandma" to the start, or imagine the words "Senator" or "Officer" in connection with the name. For instance, Grandma Megan is ok, believable. Senator Reagan Bailey sounds pretty good. He had a student whose name was "Ecstasy." Hmmm. Grandma Ecstasy??

Common names up here include Destiny, Denali, MacKenzie (or Mikenzie or other weird spellings), Aurora.

Good luck!
Another Melissa

PS Adelaide is a good, strong name, and Addie is a cute nickname.

My blog:

http://ButterscotchGrove.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile
I really didn't even know Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner had kids! Your dh knows more than me about pop culture!!!! Oh well...it's not likely that our two "Violet's" will ever meet ;) What's great about our little one's name is, that whenever someone asks (what her name is), the surprise and compliments that come after are amazing.

My sil named her firstborn Ava and that's becoming a VERY popular name. But, I guess it's all in what suits your child...we have friends who didn't name their little one for a whole week so that they could "try out" names on the baby to see "who" she was going to be (she is, apparently, an Imogen :))...

Adelaide was my Great-Grandmother's middle name--I love it. Her first name was Theodosia (no joke). They called her Addie, but her husband, to be different, called her Ada. I think there is a lot of flexibility in old names like Melissa mentioned with Elizabeth.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  11:57:10 AM  Show Profile
Tessa & Beatrice(Bea-Bea, Treesy nciknames)
or for M-- How about Mary or Marilyn??
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  9:25:09 PM  Show Profile
This is SO great! You guys are coming up with some great ones for me! I totally agree with you Melissa (great name BTW :-) ) about the Grandma thing. We did that with Madison, our first daughter. A teen named Maddie is just fine and so is Grandma Maddie. Not too bad. Ecstasy is going to be an interesting one to explain to the boyfriend at his first family dinner. "And this is my Grandma Ecstacy" How can you expect someone not to laugh at that? And we have heard too, about people waiting to name the child for a while, but I would be afraid that I would just never do it! If I gave myself that extra time, I would just keep thinking of names and "trying" them out for a few days and never settle on one! I'd have the poor nameless baby forever! Jonni, I think Ada is a PERFECT nickname for Adelaide! My hubby immediately shot it down because Maddie and Addie just wouldn't work together. But I don't see a problem with Ada! I'm going to propose it right now!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2010 :  9:36:01 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
I am so happy for you Melissa!! Being pregnant is a beautiful thing!
I love your names too.
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  08:52:14 AM  Show Profile

Howdy, Y'all!
Mellisa, thank for sharing the baby naming fun!
I have a son, named after his G grandpa and his Grandpa. It took a week to name him.
" Gordon Denya" ( Denya is Slavic for my dad's name, Dennis. We are Croation.)
I have always, always wanted the name Violet for a girl. I am remarried, and taking my husband's name, Devine. The initials " VD" are just not going to work!!!! Now that we no longer live in California, celebrity names don't pop up us much. Violet would be fine here in TX except for the initials thing!
People are using very, very different names now, for sure- Ecstacy, Miracle, Apple, etc. I'm not used to it yet!
I guess I've not come up with any names to help out.

Monika
Geneivive ( spelling?)
Vera
Melena
Tatiana

How is it going with the name Ada?
MaryLD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

EarthMamaJEM
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Jenn
PA
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  10:19:08 AM  Show Profile
Congrats! I grew up a Jennifer in the 80's so I chose unusual yet heard of (except my oldest dd's name, many people have not heard of it but many have) names for all my children. I ditto whoever said Margaret...you can get lots of cute nn's from that. Maisie is my favorite nn for it, but Meg and Maggie are cute as well.

With our boys, we found out the gender before hand and chose names together. With our girls, we did not find out the gender before hand and had a "list" approved by both of us...my DH chose for the oldest and I chose for the youngest. Actually, the name of the youngest was not even on our list, I had nixed the first name during my pregnancy but at birth she just looked like that name. And then she had to be born on her great-grandfathers birthday so I chose the mn to honor him. All this to say, her name "came to me", the boys were chosen when they were in utero, and my other daughters was chosen from a list by my husband at birth. I say wait and see what your baby looks like and go from there...I really enjoyed waiting until after birth personally.

And Violet's mom...that is the name of my youngest as well! :) You have great taste in names!

Edited by - EarthMamaJEM on Jun 16 2010 10:21:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kirksmom71
True Blue Farmgirl

873 Posts

Mel
Dallas Texas
USA
873 Posts

Posted - Jun 16 2010 :  6:50:08 PM  Show Profile
My nephew and niece just had a baby girl about two weeks ago and they named her Bindy Lynn. Her brothers' names also begin with B's. Sounds like a theme but I don't think they originally had intended that. They were calling her Precious before she was born.....so I'd say it just seems to click when its right.

My best to all,
Mel

Sassy City Girl with Farmgirl Fantasies!
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:05:28 AM  Show Profile
Well the hubby didn't go for Adelaide (Ada), but after hearing Brooklyn as some character's name on t.v. he has decided that it is also acceptable. So maybe I could convince him to make it Brooke-Lynn or Brooke Lynn. I don't know if Brooklyn is a name I'm really excited about, but Madison and Brooklyn don't sound too bad together...Maddie and Brooke...I don't know.

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2010 :  10:40:28 AM  Show Profile
I love older names too. Both my girls were named after grandmothers. Lela after mine, and Bell after, his, however, we added a E to Bell, and named her Belle, just so it would be more "modern". IE she may be able to find some things with her name already on them, with the extra E (like cups, key chains, etc). My mom said Lela would never find anything like that, but I'm not too sure about that. Since we had her I have met at least 20 Lela's! And now with the Sesame Street lady named Lela, it may become even more popular, who knows.

Any way, here's the deal, my husband and I made a deal, we take turns in the name game! lol

Funny enough the last few years before I had my first child, I thought I would really like to name a daughter Lela (after my grandma), but I never said anything about it. Then we found out we were having a girl, and my husband said he liked the name Lela, how about we name her that? I was like SURE! lol I didn't let on, I had been thinking that for years! lol So he thinks he got to pick number 1 child. Then we had still born twin boys. We had picked names for them, when we actually thought we would have live boys, but when they didn't make it, for some reason we both decided not to use the names we had picked (on boy names we have no problems, we always seem to agree, with out any problems!), I was so sad, and crazy at the time, I just told my husband to choose the names. He did and I'm fine with the names he chose for the boys. Then we just had our second daughter, he said since he got to name Lela and the boys it was my turn. Well, I really like Violet, Olivia, Pearl, Magnolia and Sophia. But, when I was pregnant with Lela we couldn't figure out a middle name, I asked all family members for names, including my MIL, for her parents names! And she wouldn't tell me her mothers name. And one day AFTER we had named Lela she let it out her mothers name was Bell! Well, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that name, and would of been too cute to have Lela Bell! But, I said, I liked it so much, oh well, I would use it for another girl (still makes me sick though as I think Lela Bell would of been a cute cute name!). And so that's how we named our second.

Funny, my husband picked my grandma, and I picked his!

Any way, I say strike a deal with your husband that it's your turn!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  09:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Melissa, I think you'll find Brooklyn all over as well (I can think of 5 Brooklyn's and variations thereof) right now, but good luck to you, whatever you both decide! It will all work out and you'll be happy, regardless :)

Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2010 :  5:31:33 PM  Show Profile
I really wish the hubby could go for a more "old fashioned" name! I'm not a big fan of all these new trendy names that he seems to love so much and I can't think of an old-fashioned name that he might like. He totally shot down Adelaide, by the way. So I just don't know what to do. I was thinking of taking an old fashioned name and spelling it in an odd way, but I don't know if either of us would really like that. Ugh! We had a boy name picked out that we both loved and we wouldn't be having this issue at all if this was a boy! Ha!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  11:40:20 PM  Show Profile
Hi - I just love looking at babies name and making suggestions - none ever takes me up on them but I love it!!

Its a real shame you arn't here in the UK cos it really fashionable now to use really old fashioned names for girls - so it would be win-win for both of you. We are having lots of Matilda,Lily, Rose, Amelia, Olivia, Grace, Poppy, Eve.
For boys it's either really old Royal names like Harry, George, William or there is a big trend to use surnames as first names so lots of Jackson, Preston, Carlton, Riley, Marshall - my GS is a Harrison. I think this has been more common in the US in the past - over here it is very new.

And Brooklyn is the ultimate celebrity name as it is the name of David and Victoria Beckham's eldest - so noone would ever use that name!!

But I agree that when you find the right name it just clicks and you know its the right name so just keep throwing out suggestions and the right one will come

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer Q.
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Jennifer
Irmo SC
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2010 :  7:21:20 PM  Show Profile
Congrats on the second baby! So exciting! My older sister is a Megan, but her name is actually spelled with a new twist my mom created: Maygan. Might appeal to the new and the old...
Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2010 :  10:10:22 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sue! I love all the girls names you threw out there! I wish I could get the hubby to agree to Olivia or Lily! But no. He seems to be quite stubborn about his name. And one of my best friends just had a baby girl a few days ago and named her Megan! I can't be upset because I didn't tell her that I was trying to get the hubby to agree to it, but that just makes it a little shorter list for us I guess. Now I'm thinking Charlotte. Old fashioned, but kind of current and we could call her Charlie, which I think the hubby will LOVE...he's a big fan of boys names for girls - very trendy. What do you think? Oh and her middle name will be Anne. My mother's, mine and my daughter's middle names are all Anne, so we can't leave the little one out! Charlotte Anne Bailey...what do you think?

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
Go to Top of Page

maggie14
True Blue Farmgirl

6784 Posts

Hannah
Washington
USA
6784 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2010 :  7:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Send maggie14 a Yahoo! Message
That is a beautiful name Melissa!! My moms mom was named Charlotte Elinor. I really like the name Charlotte!
Hugs,
Channah

Farmgirl sister #1219

Just a small town country girl trying to live her dreams. :)
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  06:38:14 AM  Show Profile
Charlotte Anne Bailey is a wonderful name! I just hope dh likes it ;) Good luck!!!

Go to Top of Page

MissLiss

322 Posts

Melissa
Corona CA
USA
322 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  10:13:26 AM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies...he said he would think about Charlotte. He didn't immediately shoot it down and that is a GREAT sign! Now I just have to get a few people on my side, you know,..put in a good word for the name. If I ask someone about it and they say "oh I hate that name" the hubby will run from it too. But if people say "oh then you could call her Charlie and that is so cute!" he'll totally love it and I'll get my little Charlotte! So keep those fingers crossed for me!!!

Melissa ~ Farmgirl #724
http://fabulousfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  3:51:01 PM  Show Profile
well I think he named the first one so you should get to name this one!!!! hehehehe I know how men can be though. you'll find one you both like eventually!!! She might be 2 by then but oh well when you get tired of calling her baby you'll figure a name out!!! hehehehe
Good luck to ya!!! my daughter wanted emma and her hubby wanted emily so they compromised and spelled the emily phonectically and came up with emalea. She gets called emma for short so everyone was happy.. I just love it so, it will come...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett Beverley with an extra E...
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Having a baby! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page